Restrict evolve to infestation areas

KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
As the topic says, prevent access to the evolution menu unless you are located on infestation.

Why?
Well <b>mostly for aesthetic/artistic/thematic reasons</b>: the organic nature of the eggs looks great on the infestation but a bit jarring on the cold metal floors; evolve puts you in an egg which thematically relates to hives.

From a gameplay point I think it's a minor change. I can think of three negative consequences for aliens...
1. Prevents evolving to gorge on high ledges or other generally marine-inaccessible areas. I find that a bit trollish anyway so I think the restriction would be good.
2. Might have to travel/retreat to add/swap a trait. Not a big deal since Kharaa are all highly mobile except Gorge (who geenrally operates near infestation) or Onos (but that's end game anyway).
3. Can't sprint across the map and then evolve to a slower lifeform (Onos, Gorge) unless it's within the infestation area.

Disclaimer: I did a bit of searching for this kind of idea but nothing came up.

Comments

• ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    While I like the idea thematically, it would just be really annoying to play with and restrict creative use of the evolving such as you mentioned with morphing to gorge in out of reach places.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    that gorge-trick can be quite annoying but i hope there is a better way to adress that. in any case, there should not be a restriction for evolving the minor upgrades such as regen or cloaking.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Or maybe eggs can create a small patch of infestation under them :P

Since Skulk Eggs generated by the Hive requires infestation to stay healthy (like other alien structures), why not lifeform eggs as well?
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    Could also remove the need to egg for adding traits. Ever watch an Onos pop out from an egg, then pop back to add traits? Conservation of mass? haha
  • MkilbrideMkilbride Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69952Members
    The Onos fit in their at one time.

And yes, I think you should only be able to Evolve in Infestation areas.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    "Hey Gorge, mind popping a mini-cyst here so I can 'nos? Thanks buddy :]"