IP emergency power

ChaosNLChaosNL Join Date: 2011-07-31 Member: 113237Members, Reinforced - Shadow
I was thinking of how the power nodes completely turn off power for structures in a marine base yet the emergency lights turn on.
Why can't the IP's also have the same effect? As soon as the power node is destroyed the power goes out (no spawn + total darkness)
Then as soon as the emergency lights go on (back-up generator i suppose?) the IP's also come back online.

Of course the IP's shouldnt have the same spawn rate as in a normal state but like half the rate. This allows marines to still spawn when their base is under heavy attack and give rogue marines time to run back to base. Right now killing the power mostly results in marines being slaughtered and defenseless.

Maybe in the emergency powered mode it can also have a more dimmed light when a marine spawns? Making it really look like it's only just capable of spawning in new marines.

Let me know what you guys think of this.

Comments

• PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    There's talk to bring back the Power Pack, <a href="https://docs.google.com/document/d/10T9oRhmNdZ3bWGceLDbnZ2wQDN2pbbwc9aAccL72FJA/edit" target="_blank">see here~</a>
  • captain biblecaptain bible Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143783Members
  • ChaosNLChaosNL Join Date: 2011-07-31 Member: 113237Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @above post: Nice feedback. it rly helped

IMHO i think it feels more realistic if the IP's would make use of the emergency power since its the only way for marines to come back into the fight. Any building thats is so important should make use of emergency power if its already there (the lights got power don't they?)

When a marine is spawning in there is a nice bright blue light above the IP, i think that should be dimmed to show the IP is having trouble spawning marines. But it would help marines with defending their base even if there's a lack of teamwork, or atleast extend the game even for a little. (i'm tired of playing games that don't even exceed 20 minutes because a lonewolf lerk sniped the powernode and called in the big guns to finish the job)

It's both a visual and a gameplay improvement if you ask me.
  • l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
    edited February 2012
    How about this compromise. When a room is in emergency lighting mode, ip's still have enough power to spawn marines, but because of the low power the spawn rate is decreased. It could possibly be two or three times as long, but the numbers could be tweaked to whatever is needed for balance. Couple this with the spawn aura turning to a dim yellow or red, the affect flickering in and out, a slower spawn animation, a change in the spawn sound, and we have a solid solution.

But IP's should not spawn at the same rate because there needs to be a reward for risking your neck in order to take out a power node.

Also, why is a commander letting a single lerk sit and snipe a power node down.
  • AemrodAemrod Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146665Members
    I think that should include also res towers. Like when power node gets destroyed res tower gathering rates becomes halved or 1/4 would force aliens to destroy rt not only power node. And for ip i totally agree with first post i dont like the power pack idea if power pack can sustain the power consumptions then why power node.
  • ChaosNLChaosNL Join Date: 2011-07-31 Member: 113237Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1905918:date=Feb 22 2012, 06:30 PM:name=l3lessed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (l3lessed @ Feb 22 2012, 06:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1905918"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>How about this compromise.</b> When a room is in emergency lighting mode, ip's still have enough power to spawn marines, but because of the low power the spawn rate is decreased. It could possibly be two or three times as long, but the numbers could be tweaked to whatever is needed for balance. Couple this with the spawn aura turning to a dim yellow or red, the affect flickering in and out, a slower spawn animation, a change in the spawn sound, and we have a solid solution.

But IP's should not spawn at the same rate because there needs to be a reward for risking your neck in order to take out a power node.

Also, why is a commander letting a single lerk sit and snipe a power node down.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Exactly my point in post 1. Thank you.
    Power packs might still be usefull for keeping the IP's fully charged (normal spawn rate) or other buildings like armory. It's just that with the current implementation of Power packs it's only gonna power up 1 building? That means you'll needa drop atleast 2 to keep your IP's up and running(this is mid game, where mostly there's 2 IP's) which is a huge investment, which mostly isn't made.

My point is: keep the IP's running with emergency power, on a lower spawn rate, but give the marines the choice of giving it alternate power from powerpacks.
  • KrizzenKrizzen Join Date: 2011-12-16 Member: 138181Members
    edited February 2012
    I think if you're getting overrun so hardcore you can't get your power back on, you've already lost. If you lose because no one knew the power was out, you need a new commander, and perhaps a new team. Aliens have no backup cysts or backup eggs, and I honestly don't think either team needs such a crutch to needlessly drag games out for the crutch-users' inevitable loss.

Most of all, I don't think it should come at no cost. I'm glad they're reviewing power packs since those solve a host of problems, and they just might offer a solution to the age-old power node positioning problem.