Performance issues

AsmodiesAsmodies Join Date: 2004-06-17 Member: 29353Members
So both me and a friend have recently jumped into the beta, but most of the time it's nearly unplayable for both of us due to incredibly low FPS in firefights, and even sometimes out of them. Be fore I get to details of this happening in-game, I'll give you my specs:

AMD dual core, 3ghz processors
4 gigs ram
windows 7 64-bit
normal (meaning, not solid state) 200gig install drive that's recently been re-formatted
ATI Radeon 5800 HD series video card

...I think that's everything that's relevant, recently re-installed all my drivers for everything so all of that is very recently up to date. So, in-game at the lowest settings with both bloom and shadows off I still get awful FPS, it feels like it spikes down to the single digits at times and aiming with anything is impossible. My friend as a comparable rig and it's the same story, especially so if there are flamethrowers and lerk gas around. This is across all servers, and many people on the servers I asked about settings and commands on would say they were getting around 40fps in fights. So, does this game just not like our rigs, or is there something more obvious going on that we're missing?

Comments

• unkindunkind Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143563Members
    your computer is pretty weak for this currently unoptimized game. Give it a couple months or near release and you should (probably) have no issues.
  • AsmodiesAsmodies Join Date: 2004-06-17 Member: 29353Members
    ...really? I mean, I run pretty much anything that's been released in the past several months on at least medium high with no problems. If that's the case I wouldn't say my PC's specs are low...just that NS's are incredibly high, but I had a suspicion that it was more that just my specs, as performance doesn't really change too much between the different video settings we have available to us right now.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    game is currently cpu limited, and your cpu is what's limiting you.
  • mushookeesmushookees Join Date: 2008-03-26 Member: 63967Members
    it might be because you have an AMD CPU or your ATI graphics card, you would probably find the game is more optimized for intel and nvidia because thats what the devs are using, i could be wrong though.

The game is still in beta, every other game you've played has been in a similar state, however nobody was allowed to pre-purchase and play them in such a state. Im sure the FPS issues are top priority atm for the devs, so you wont have to wait long until things get better on your system.
  • Visor1Visor1 Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140300Members
    r_fog 0
    r_shadow 0
    r_bloom 0
    r_atmospherics 0

Try entering those in the console and see if that helps you at all. Also go into the amd drivers and make sure your using the high performance options etc.
  • rhombusrhombus Lerk Queen Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106055Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1902040:date=Feb 11 2012, 01:19 AM:name=Asmodies)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asmodies @ Feb 11 2012, 01:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1902040"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I run pretty much anything that's been released in the past several months on at least medium high with no problems.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're talking fully optimized games or just other NS2 updates? Big difference there.

Bump settings down to god awful and attempt to play it that way. I'm generally in the same boat as you are in major fire fights due to my dual core, though it never dips lower than 14 fps unless we're testing something by spamming it. :P As unkind had said.. this beta isn't fully optimized and there is still a lot of work to be done even though it's come a very long way.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1902040:date=Feb 11 2012, 07:19 AM:name=Asmodies)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asmodies @ Feb 11 2012, 07:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1902040"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...really? I mean, I run pretty much anything that's been released in the past several months on at least medium high with no problems.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not going to go all ###### on you, but yeah, anything that's been released will likely run well and look good... they've been optimised. NS2 isn't technically released, the reason for this is it's not finished yet.

<!--quoteo(post=1902044:date=Feb 11 2012, 07:31 AM:name=mushookees)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mushookees @ Feb 11 2012, 07:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1902044"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it might be because you have an AMD CPU or your ATI graphics card, you would probably find the game is more optimized for intel and nvidia because thats what the devs are using, i could be wrong though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just to clarify: they program the game using direct X which doesn't care what hardware you are running. But for more proof, I'm using an ATI HD 5850 (which is probably what he is using, I could be wrong though).

Anyway, the 5850 will run this game completely fine(I max it out with no effect on my fps), 4GB of ram should technically be enough... so I'd say it's entirely cpu bound for you... meaning time for an upgrade in the near future.

Either way, wait a little while to see if an upgrade is needed. An aftermarket cpu cooler (I recommend coolermaster 212 evo) and overclocking your cpu might keep it going for a little while longer. Oh and, the cpu cooler will be usable on newer cpus as well so it's not money wasted if it doesn't help.
  • MOOtantMOOtant Join Date: 2010-06-25 Member: 72158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1902037:date=Feb 11 2012, 07:50 AM:name=Asmodies)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asmodies @ Feb 11 2012, 07:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1902037"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So both me and a friend have recently jumped into the beta, but most of the time it's nearly unplayable for both of us due to incredibly low FPS in firefights, and even sometimes out of them. Be fore I get to details of this happening in-game, I'll give you my specs:

AMD dual core, 3ghz processors
    4 gigs ram
    windows 7 64-bit
    normal (meaning, not solid state) 200gig install drive that's recently been re-formatted
    ATI Radeon 5800 HD series video card

...I think that's everything that's relevant, recently re-installed all my drivers for everything so all of that is very recently up to date. So, in-game at the lowest settings with both bloom and shadows off I still get awful FPS, it feels like it spikes down to the single digits at times and aiming with anything is impossible. My friend as a comparable rig and it's the same story, especially so if there are flamethrowers and lerk gas around. This is across all servers, and many people on the servers I asked about settings and commands on would say they were getting around 40fps in fights. So, does this game just not like our rigs, or is there something more obvious going on that we're missing?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    HW requirements are simply false. In reality they were 4-5GHz CPU with very fast RAM since 2 years ago and they aren't changing any time soon.
  • McMarius11McMarius11 Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143763Members
    edited February 2012
    Bad Performance! YES
    when i run this game with CF or with Singlefire no difference
    in cf the shadow is flickering.

GPU 30-40% USAGE
    CPU 30-40% USAGE
    40-60fps on startup
    10minutes later 25-40 fps

when this game uses all of my GPU and CPU then i have 100 fps because in spectater i have 100 fps and GPU are up 60-80% CPU 40% USAGE
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    my game runs awefull too i5 2500k 4.5ghz, 8gb ddr3, 2xGTX580's, your computer should run it easily when the game is released/optimized.
  • McMarius11McMarius11 Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143763Members
    BUMP THIS ###### UP!