DoorMod

Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
edited February 2012 in Modding
<div class="IPBDescription">Concept, is this feasible?</div>With different talks on door gameplay, and ideas I would like to bring to my maps, I came to this concept. I have no programming knowledge so if someone could help me out on this It would be cool :D

Basic idea: Two different types of doors, Nanite and Mechanical.

<u>The Nanite door</u>

(uses the current door model)

This door functions with nanite technology and it detects nanite signatures. If a marine is close, the door opens. Infestation can take over the door and confuse the nanite detecting systems, allowing aliens to pass. Marines can weld the door sealing it for everyone. Onos can break a welded door

<u>The Mechanical door</u>

(uses the larger cargo type door models, maybe variations for double horizontal and vertical openings)

These doors have mechanical systems that can be activated by the heat produced by the welder. They start open or closed. Welding the energy imput system will make the door function, opening it slowly if it starts closed and vice versa. The mechanical system using a series of weights, you need to feed them with welder energy or they will slowly return to their original state.

How feasible would this mod be? Could you lua programmers help me out in getting the code down?

Comments

• SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    I really like the idea of having a door that relies on power from the room. If the room is de-powered the door is open. also it takes longer to open and close.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Only problem is programming additional game entities, like door variations, would need to be added to the main game code, or would only be playable via a mod.

Theoretically you could subclass door.lua and make a new file, welddoor.lua and set it up. But that file would need to be in the default ns2/lua folder for it to work with default, or it would need to be a seperate mod and that is only going to be run to play maps with those doors on it.

Yes it should be fairly easy to do, but won't make it automatically part of the game.