Monitor or graphics card dying?

sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
Quick question;

When I view a webpage and scroll down to the bottom using the slider, the screen dims. Scrolling back up returns the brightness. Think it also happens in games, rarely (screen dimming).

Have reseated the graphics card and swapped the DVI port the monitor plugs into, still happens. Don't have a second monitor to test it on.

Is it the monitor or graphics card that's dying!

Thaaaaanks.

Comments

• lazylazy Join Date: 2005-07-23 Member: 56631Members
    Sorry if it's not very helpful, but I'm tempted to point to your signature. Maybe the screen doesn't dim when you're not near the computer?
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    edited February 2012
    Very strange issue.

I would try uninstalling, making sure everything is gone, then reinstalling your drivers before you started to panic though. Its not going to be a monitor problem, unless the mouse wire is somehow tugging the DVI cable out when you scroll down.
  • DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
    edited February 2012
    Could be a bad inverter board for your LCD. It steps up the voltage to power the back light on the LCD panel, typically causes back light to dim/flicker/go out when it goes bad. I'd lean more towards a bad LCD or cable though, as the inverter keeps constant power to the back light regardless of what is being displayed on the screen so long as the LCD is powered. I'd run a hirens boot cd test on your graphics card.
  • [WHO]Them[WHO]Them You can call me Dave Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10593Members, Constellation
    Is it any webpage? Or a specific one?

Is the bottom of that page brighter than the rest?

In my imagination of what's happening, I would suspect the monitor or wall outlet. Especially if the "is the specific page brighter at the bottom" is true.

See if your graphics card management software has desktop color management. Set that to as dark as it can get. Is the dimming effect similar to that? Or different?

Do you have access to fraps? Try capturing the effect and see if it shows up in the playback.

In my experience with monitors, a monitor with flaky power is usually darker than a fully functional monitor receiving a fully black signal.

Without seeing the effect personally I can't make a good diagnosis though. Everything above is assumptive conjecture.
  • TykjenTykjen Join Date: 2003-01-21 Member: 12552Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    if not on, try and set power management to maximum performance.
  • hamham Join Date: 2011-08-31 Member: 119370Members, Constellation
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1901446:date=Feb 9 2012, 11:02 PM:name=Drfuzzy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drfuzzy @ Feb 9 2012, 11:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1901446"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Could be a bad inverter board for your LCD. It steps up the voltage to power the back light on the LCD panel, typically causes back light to dim/flicker/go out when it goes bad. I'd lean more towards a bad LCD or cable though, as the inverter keeps constant power to the back light regardless of what is being displayed on the screen so long as the LCD is powered. I'd run a hirens boot cd test on your graphics card.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'll check out this hirens boot cd, thanks.

<!--quoteo(post=1901592:date=Feb 10 2012, 05:15 AM:name=[WHO]Them)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ([WHO]Them @ Feb 10 2012, 05:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1901592"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Is it any webpage? Or a specific one?

Is the bottom of that page brighter than the rest?

In my imagination of what's happening, I would suspect the monitor or wall outlet. Especially if the "is the specific page brighter at the bottom" is true.

See if your graphics card management software has desktop color management. Set that to as dark as it can get. Is the dimming effect similar to that? Or different?

Do you have access to fraps? Try capturing the effect and see if it shows up in the playback.

In my experience with monitors, a monitor with flaky power is usually darker than a fully functional monitor receiving a fully black signal.

Without seeing the effect personally I can't make a good diagnosis though. Everything above is assumptive conjecture.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It happens on websites with a dark background (e.g. the main page of UWE).

I've reinstalled the graphics driver (well, let the nVidia console update to the latest beta) and so far everything is ok, though as the problem was intermittent I'll hold out for a few days before leaving it.

The entire screen dims, not just a section. I've noticed a nick in the power cable, although it's not deep enough to show the wiring, the damage (caused from pushing the monitor to the back of the wall and- I assume- trapping the cable) could have messed it up? Not too sure the power cable is removable on these Samsung monitors!

Thanks for help, all!
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Take a screenshot, if it shows up on the screenshot, it's not the monitor.