Player Controlled Acceleration for Onos

BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Adren management based system</div>I don't know if there's a huge plan for onos, but I thought it might be interesting to get some ideas around.

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->
The Basics
<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

The key idea is to build a system around adren management. Rather than gaining speed by running straight lines, you'd use your mouse 2 key to 'buy' speed at the cost of your adren.

<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->
<b>The Basic Speed Mechanic:</b>
<ul>- The onos base speed is really low.
- The speed is gained through onos 'movement ability', most likely bound to mouse 2 by default. The ability costs adren with each click.
- Running straight forward gives you no extra speed, but allows you to maintain the speed you've already gained
- The speed gain with each click could be a constant value or relative to the speed you already have. The faster you'd go, the more speed you'd gain by each click.</li></ul>

<b>Turning:</b>

<ul>- Turning slows you down. The tighter the curve, the more speed you lose.</li></ul>
OR
<ul>- Your maximum turn rate is dependend on the speed you have. The faster you're going, the wider your turns are.</li></ul>

Some kind of combination of both is possible also.

<b>The Adrenaline Mechanics:</b>
<ul>- The quicker the repetetive speed gain clicks are, the more adren each costs (while still giving out the same speed gain).
- Quick mouse2 tapping would provide fast acceleration at high adren cost.
- Slow mouse2 tapping would provide the same amount of eventual speed at lower adren cost, but also slower acceleration. More time and open road required, but less adren cost.</li></ul>

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->
The Benefits
<ul>- Gives the player the control over how fast he is going rather than accelerating uncontrollably whenever the player is going forward.
- Good onos players could read the situations ahead and know when and how they should manage their speed and adren for maximum effect.
- Onos would still be most comfortable on larger areas, but could also operate flexibly in smaller spaces in short bursts as long as the player manages the adren well.</li></ul>

---

I guess that's roughly the core of the idea. Due to the controlled speed, any kind of momentum related abilities such as extra damage and knockbacks receive extra possibilities also.

I can try to illustrate more if necessary, just start throwing in questions and ideas to get this going.

Comments

• juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    Thanks Bacillus, this is taking things in the right direction.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I'd like to test the curent Onos movement system on maps more designed for Onos movement first.

On my map in development, I've been able to run around as an Onos, and when it hits top speed it is frightening! Never managed it ingame but wow, that thing really moves at top speed.

I'd just like to see how it plays out before making any big changes to it :)

The idea itself seems pretty sound, but let's see how the current system works on more fluid maps before we try changing it :)
  • Banzai¥Banzai¥ Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143902Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1901050:date=Feb 8 2012, 02:40 PM:name=Soul_Rider)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soul_Rider @ Feb 8 2012, 02:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1901050"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd like to test the curent Onos movement system on maps more designed for Onos movement first.

On my map in development, I've been able to run around as an Onos, and when it hits top speed it is frightening! Never managed it ingame but wow, that thing really moves at top speed.

I'd just like to see how it plays out before making any big changes to it :)

The idea itself seems pretty sound, but let's see how the current system works on more fluid maps before we try changing it :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Does the Onos have some sort of knock-back or 'push damage' when it runs into a marine at high speeds?
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1901051:date=Feb 8 2012, 02:42 PM:name=Banzai¥)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Banzai¥ @ Feb 8 2012, 02:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1901051"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does the Onos have some sort of knock-back or 'push damage' when it runs into a marine at high speeds?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nope, he is stopped in his tracks and usually dies.
  • Banzai¥Banzai¥ Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143902Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1901053:date=Feb 8 2012, 02:44 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Feb 8 2012, 02:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1901053"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nope, he is stopped in his tracks and usually dies.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's... sad :<
    I would love to see the Onos being able to charge through a hallway and pour through marines and eventually hit buildings. If it hits a building it gets stopped in its tracks and is stunned, but does a fairly massive amount of damage towards what it hit. Of course, then marines would be at a horrid disadvantage in smaller spots and trying to evade it (Unless sound could be an indication of one coming?)
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1901051:date=Feb 8 2012, 08:42 PM:name=Banzai¥)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Banzai¥ @ Feb 8 2012, 08:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1901051"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does the Onos have some sort of knock-back or 'push damage' when it runs into a marine at high speeds?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1901053:date=Feb 8 2012, 08:44 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Feb 8 2012, 08:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1901053"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nope, he is stopped in his tracks and usually dies.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    While the suggestion isn't particularly created to solve stuff like this, the extra flexibility and control certainly help against this kind of issues too.

Also as mentioned, any kind of future push damage implementation also gets additional possibilities if the player isn't completely dependand on running straight forward for specific distance X to reach the desired speed for dealing push damage.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I approve this concept.
  • SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    I believe cory has said that the onos' base speed will be increased with the next build as well as a better speed increase. I personally believe that it is too early to start to critic and tinker with the onos as fans because it simply hasn't been out long enough. But after next build and a couple of weeks i'd say if we still have problems refer back to this post.