Jetpack counter

NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
Since the Jetpack is in and i am having problems countering them and i see tons of people having the same problem. I want to ask for current tactics if there are any that are worth mentioning. And want to collect suggestions how it could be improved.

Current problem i see.

The Jetpack is superior to lerk because the jetpacker can carry any type of current marine weapon. All maps have large rooms where the jetpacks can fly but the aliens have only the lerk as a ranged damage dealer, which is also pretty squishy. The new implemented onos has pretty much to run away from any jetpacker he sees because hes slow as hell and cant be missed. I could continue ...

I know i'm whining but playing against them isnt much fun atm. :(

Comments

• DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Good question. I had the same problem last night.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Does the jetpack reduce marine running speed? That would balance out the whole flying away from any alien thing, if when they landed they were kinda easy to catch.

Do they have to refuel at armouries?
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1899467:date=Feb 4 2012, 01:17 AM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Feb 4 2012, 01:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899467"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does the jetpack reduce marine running speed? That would balance out the whole flying away from any alien thing, if when they landed they were kinda easy to catch.

Do they have to refuel at armouries?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Refuel is a case of stop pressing jump and let the energy bar refill.

Jetpack fuel is not much, chase them down until they run out of energy. If you try to run away from a jp it's not going to work. Keep chasing them down, 2 skulks can harass a jp until he's dead.

There is no hard counter to JP's other than teamwork.
  • gamester_5gamester_5 Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64094Members
    The whip is working pretty good to keep them at bay near the hive but they can still take out a hive by standing on it. If the whip is not close enough to the hive it wont damage him.
  • 2sBlind2sBlind Join Date: 2011-11-08 Member: 131738Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1899470:date=Feb 3 2012, 07:24 PM:name=gamester_5)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gamester_5 @ Feb 3 2012, 07:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899470"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The whip is working pretty good to keep them at bay near the hive but they can still take out a hive by standing on it. If the whip is not close enough to the hive it wont damage him.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lol did this last night. Might have been one of, if not the first, to get on top of a hive and then kill it.
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This might be a dumb question, and I should probably know the answer to this, but does anyone remember how jetpacks were countered in NS1?
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Blink in - swipe - blink out - repeat.
    Or then just snipe with the lerk from far away.

That's pretty much your most reliable options right there.

No acid bomb :(
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    i was wrecking the aliens with my jp / shotty combo last night (45 to 15 by endgame) and the only thing that could stop me was a very pissed off fade. he tried like 4 times and then finally got the timing down right to hit me consistently in the air... the knowledge spread quickly across the team and i found myself having more difficulty killing with it.

its a new feature i realized, and players are just now attempting new methods. but giving gorge the web would be THEE move to make, just dont OP it. make it max out in amount of material, not size, so that it can stretch in a large room as a singular strand, or fill a small hallway as a wall. one web depletes all your energy and have the marine stuck on it for say 15 seconds, while making it susceptible to another marine's LMG fire ( hp of a skulk) so teamwork can counter the counter. :)
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1899475:date=Feb 4 2012, 12:41 AM:name=Daphisto)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daphisto @ Feb 4 2012, 12:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899475"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This might be a dumb question, and I should probably know the answer to this, but does anyone remember how jetpacks were countered in NS1?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Skulks with leap, fade and focus.

And web if you felt like being a troll.
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    Counter to jp's in ns1 was skulks with leap, when leap was effective.
    fades with focus.
    gorges with webs.
    lerks with bite

would be nice if onos had charge again. for quick get away's or surprise rush ambushes.
    ns1 onos used hit and run tactics with devour by the time marines had enough firepower to hold em off.
    I'm not suggesting that devour be brought back into ns2 but charge or something that would allow onos a temporary speed increase would be nice.

Onos used to have paralysis, not suggesting it for NS2, but who remembers paralyzing jetpackers and watching them fall to the floor and die?
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    I haven't played the patch yet but just looking at the video, they seem to be kinda... slow.

They appear to give about as much lift as a sustained fart, and if they still have the limited energy from NS1, I would have thought you could kill them pretty easily with most aliens. They shouldn't be able to dodge very well if they have slidey aircontrol.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    They do feel very slow to use, shouldn't be to hard to counter give it a few days
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2012
    The current fade is very useless against jetpackers, because the forward momentum is broken.
    That could be easily fixed by UWE if they implemented <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=115631" target="_blank">Yuuki's fade mod</a>:
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gjP8K5cw85c"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gjP8K5cw85c" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
    Latest download link for the Fade Mod(working in 194):
    <a href="http://www.duplexgaming.co.uk/downloads/mods/64/modfade/" target="_blank">http://www.duplexgaming.co.uk/downloads/mods/64/modfade/</a>
    It makes fades be less in invul/invis state because of higher adrenaline drain on blink.
    And it gives them forward momentum to work with when fighting against jetpackers.
    It makes the fade more fun to play, and more fun to play against.
    And it's a step in the right direction to balance their invul/invis ability, which is currently very OP in the vanilla version.
    Good fades are only visible when they make a swipe in vanilla NS2, that is changed with fade mod.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1899504:date=Feb 3 2012, 10:56 PM:name=dux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dux @ Feb 3 2012, 10:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899504"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Skulks with leap, fade and focus.

And web if you felt like being a troll.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this is a more important post than some of you may have realized
    why?

because "making web be a 'counter' to jetpacks" is taking the easy way out
    this game is not supposed to have rock/paper/scissors balance, especially with the higher tech items

the actual way to fight jetpacks is to leap/blink/fly at them, shoot them with ranged stuff or time when they're going to run out of fuel and strike easily then

it shouldn't be "make a web and then wait, putting in zero effort until the game pins them in place for you because of your AMAZING talent of clicking your mouse with web"
  • marsvinmarsvin Join Date: 2011-03-22 Member: 87920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1899621:date=Feb 4 2012, 06:07 PM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ Feb 4 2012, 06:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899621"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it shouldn't be "make a web and then wait, putting in zero effort until the game pins them in place for you because of your AMAZING talent of clicking your mouse with web"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I always thought webs were pretty balanced. They were easy to see and (in the late game where they showed up) easy to destroy. Also the amount you could put up was pretty limited. To me they were just another static defense element like OCs or what have you. Doesn't take an amazing amount of skill to place or avoid those either.

Not saying we should definitely have webs back though, my favorite counter to JPs is still the lowly skulk ^^ Just don't try to fight them in big open rooms.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1899618:date=Feb 4 2012, 05:42 PM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Feb 4 2012, 05:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899618"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The current fade is very useless against jetpackers, because the forward momentum is broken.
    That could be easily fixed by UWE if they implemented <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=115631" target="_blank">Yuuki's fade mod</a>:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That mod is awesome and this is how blink should work.
  • SmasherSmasher Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43732Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1899618:date=Feb 4 2012, 11:42 AM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Feb 4 2012, 11:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899618"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That could be easily fixed by UWE if they implemented Yuuki's fade mod<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes please!
  • goblingoblin Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31412Members
    leap + celerity + focus

:)
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Fade with momentum is fun against jetpack, it's one of these ballistic air combat that are really cool in fps.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    What servers does the momentum mod run on?

Last night I finally got the hang of blinking at a JP'er and swiping him in the air in vanilla, I'd like to give it a go with the momentum mod :)
    edited February 2012
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    i try to chase down a jper until he is out of fuel

also dont chase along the ground, try to bounce off walls etc
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    Just have to say:
    gorge webs, better hydras (not useless like now...dealing like no damage), give the fade shooting back, give skulk xenocide back.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What servers does the momentum mod run on?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ensl gathers, that's all I think.
  • NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1900173:date=Feb 6 2012, 07:58 AM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Feb 6 2012, 07:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1900173"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just have to say:
    gorge webs, better hydras (not useless like now...dealing like no damage), give the fade shooting back, give skulk xenocide back.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1 Totally agreeing with this post.
  • AsmodiesAsmodies Join Date: 2004-06-17 Member: 29353Members
    The best counters I saw in NS1 were skilled lerks with focus, gasing all around the hive/combat area. But the lerk is totally crippled now and definitely can't deal with a JP. They can just fly out of/around the gas, or just sit there on top of the hive/out of reach since all lerks can do past that is spike them.
  • Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1900295:date=Feb 6 2012, 10:21 PM:name=Asmodies)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asmodies @ Feb 6 2012, 10:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1900295"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The best counters I saw in NS1 were skilled lerks with focus, gasing all around the hive/combat area. But the lerk is totally crippled now and definitely can't deal with a JP. They can just fly out of/around the gas, or just sit there on top of the hive/out of reach since all lerks can do past that is spike them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I disagree, I found myself able to 1:1 jetpack marines with any weaponry, as a lerk quite adequately, sometimes even against two at once, however it does take a long time to gun them down, and the fact that I had regeneration, cloak, carapace and 3 shells (full armor capacity) meant it cost me 36 res every time I died and a little while (evolving) to get back in defending against them, as I found all other alien classes can barely do anything against JPers, whilst marines have an instantaneous jetpack with only 20 res, the problem was for me that eventually they out-endure you because their flight capability is easier to obtain.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    well there is no counter to minimap invisibility :p.
  • rehreh Join Date: 2011-12-11 Member: 137450Members
    It seems likely, that after the initial shock, the aliens will learn to deal with jps pretty effectively. In near future, people will start asking devs to buff up jet packs a bit.