Onos stomp - marine effect

spacedanielspacedaniel Join Date: 2009-11-11 Member: 69348Members
How about just a "push" effect that moves every marine back, say 8 meters if they are within 2m of the stomp effect point of origin, and then less with increasing distance out to 8 meters so that a stomp basically clears an area in (for example) 16m in diameter. Why? First, it'd be a cool effect (it would also effect jetpacks and hvys but only half effect for heavys maybe), second it would get rid of all the pesky rines trying to knife the onos just for good ole times sake and make some space (great for hive protection perhaps) but it would also be balanced in the sense that it might actually give the rines a few seconds breather and not get caught in a small circle of death. That would introduce some tactic and balance in using stomp (to counter the stunned IPs, that's just mean dude).

Comments

• ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think the current knockdown effect from primary attacking should be moved over to the Stomp as attacking does enough damage already without that much utility on top of it all, whereas I don't think Stomp does enough to be worth the animation time.
  • spacedanielspacedaniel Join Date: 2009-11-11 Member: 69348Members
    Oh wait, perhaps this is better: equivalent of a flashbang - 3 seconds of muffled sounds (radio also??) with too high gamma and ghost images. Perhaps easier to get in place in code as well.
    Good point arkanti, the only place to use stopm right now would be in a base as a showstoppper. Looks cool though, I'd like to use it on more occations than just last seconds of the endgame.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Stomp does not work atm, besides mines killing.
    I know, I thought since they were thinking about it (as per twitter post) I'd just post a few suggestions. Mine killing is one use of course yes, just a tad boring, I mean, mines are pretty much useless as it is. Give them a chance of blowing depending on distance but not all of the always. Besides a stomp should show up on the rine comm overview - it's a seismic bl##dy event...
  • BearTaxiBearTaxi Join Date: 2011-11-15 Member: 133064Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1899139:date=Feb 3 2012, 02:39 PM:name=Arkanti)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arkanti @ Feb 3 2012, 02:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899139"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the current knockdown effect from primary attacking should be moved over to the Stomp as attacking does enough damage already without that much utility on top of it all, whereas I don't think Stomp does enough to be worth the animation time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My problem with this is Onos is still currently underpowered.
  • Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1899203:date=Feb 3 2012, 02:46 PM:name=BearTaxi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearTaxi @ Feb 3 2012, 02:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899203"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My problem with this is Onos is still currently underpowered.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I find it's ridiculous how slow he is, every single nook and bump and even alien structures negates his acceleration, he clips with other players also, most of the time what I see is an Onos trying pathetically to scramble away from 3 marines when he realizes he doesn't have enough health to actually make it to them and attack before dying.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Stomp could be thought of as a shock wave that actually moves across the floor, causing everything on it to move. Stomp would force the marine "up" as if the marine did a mini-jump in place. The marine's horizontal momentum would also be taken into account.

This would have an effect similar to ns1 stomp, but not quite as disabling, and a bit more believable.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited February 2012
    I probably wouldn't mind it too much if stomp shifted players up (and maybe away) a bit (and did a little damage), as long as it didn't shift the player's orientation (aim) as that could get annoying.

I also think that stomp should disrupt reloads.
    So something that would allow the onos a few seconds -and some space- to gain momentum then. The stomp would need a direction as in NS1 to have some more range.. or let it propagate along a corridor... difficult to code though.
    Best suggestion, IMHO, is just flinging people up and down a bit. Besides, it could be a 5 minutes job with LUA.
  • JitterzJitterz Join Date: 2011-12-22 Member: 138845Members
    The last thing you would want as an Onos is for the marines to get farther away from you. If anything it should pull the marines in towards you.
  • KrizzenKrizzen Join Date: 2011-12-16 Member: 138181Members
    I think a knock-up and short stun would be appropriate.
  • BurgerlolzBurgerlolz Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143836Members
    All your idea seems unbalanced to me, at the moment, an onos with a gorge healing behind is overpoweredl, I just had a game where a gorge was healing me as an Onos and there was 2 marines firing at me, my health did not go under 600 .
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    2 marines are not enough to kill a fade, right now. why should they stand against an onos? The greatest Problem of the onos is the clipping with other aliens. Difficult movement in tight places is ok. But not being able to navigate in a swarm is very annoying.
  • azimaithazimaith Join Date: 2011-07-03 Member: 107686Members
    Whatever happened to the whole "can't be shot from the front" thing for the onos. I thought he was supposed to have some bone shield that protected him/those behind him.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    pushing enemies back is actually a disadvantage for the onos (unless you want to run, but would you want to be standing still long enough to perform your stomp in that situation?)

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think a knock-up and short stun would be appropriate.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1. this could be similar to the rifle-butt-concussion, blurring vision a bit. knocking over seems a bit too powerful as the stomp is primarily intended against multiple structures.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1900162:date=Feb 6 2012, 08:30 PM:name=azimaith)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (azimaith @ Feb 6 2012, 08:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1900162"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Whatever happened to the whole "can't be shot from the front" thing for the onos. I thought he was supposed to have some bone shield that protected him/those behind him.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think that this would be ideal in making the onos survive head-on engagements.
  • Banzai¥Banzai¥ Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143902Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1900162:date=Feb 6 2012, 07:30 AM:name=azimaith)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (azimaith @ Feb 6 2012, 07:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1900162"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Whatever happened to the whole "can't be shot from the front" thing for the onos. I thought he was supposed to have some bone shield that protected him/those behind him.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't like the idea of him being 'invulnerable' from assaults to the front, but being heavily armoured where he can take a load of damage compared to now (To a point where marines default guns won't do anything unless upgraded) with his rear being the main weak-point.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    The Bone Shield upgrade is in the code, Don't forget as not all the Marine stuff has been released, nor have the aliens. We haven't seen the shift hive for example. I believe Bone Shield will become a Crag Hive option.

Don't panic about the Onos just yet. Tested the Onos around my map and he's pretty free flowing, even in the secondary rooms which aren't designed for an Onos :p
  • EstevooEstevoo Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 138993Members
    How about a little body shake for stomp effect?
  • SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    what do you mean by this?