Promotion for the game

SendzSendz In-game alias: Psychlone Join Date: 2008-02-13 Member: 63645Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited February 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">TF2 Items!</div>Hey all, I don't know what you guys think or where you stand on sales for NS2, but I think that offering one or several TF2 (Team Fortress 2) hats/items would really help promote the game greatly. It would be better if this were to go through, to do it shortly before the full version of the game comes out.

Anyways, lemme know what you guys think!

Comments

• PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    I stand by the notion of a Hydra all-class hat.
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    A constellation badge for all classes in TF2 :D
    Or the sentry model for the engie.
    Or a welder as a wrench for the engie.
  • BearTaxiBearTaxi Join Date: 2011-11-15 Member: 133064Members
    There has already been a thread discussing this exact topic.

I don't think an NS2 themed hat is a good idea. I play TF2, I enjoy it, but if there is one thing that annoys me about it it's all the 'OMG HATZ' kids that play it. NS2 will already most likely be advertised by Steam to some degree (front page of store etc) anyway.
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    I wouldn't mind vanity items. Early pre-orders already got one. But they should fit the atmosphere of the game. Things like hydra hats are a no go
    <!--quoteo(post=1899826:date=Feb 5 2012, 05:06 PM:name=OutlawDr)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OutlawDr @ Feb 5 2012, 05:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899826"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wouldn't mind vanity items. Early pre-orders already got one. But they should fit the atmosphere of the game. Things like hydra hats are a no go<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

OP means NS2 themed items in games such as TF2, not items in NS2.
  • Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1899827:date=Feb 5 2012, 12:40 PM:name=BearTaxi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearTaxi @ Feb 5 2012, 12:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899827"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->OP means NS2 themed items in games such as TF2, not items in NS2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

exactly, tf2 is already a train wreck when it comes to aesthetic consistency anyways...
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    You should offer hats as DLC content, and ban the steam ids permanently of anyone who buys them.
    <!--quoteo(post=1900014:date=Feb 6 2012, 07:32 AM:name=wulf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wulf @ Feb 6 2012, 07:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1900014"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You should offer hats as DLC content, and ban the steam ids permanently of anyone who buys them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hahahaha +1
  • azimaithazimaith Join Date: 2011-07-03 Member: 107686Members
    [sarcasm]Well we sure wouldn't want a wide variety of people to know about and <i>buy</i> NS2 right. All that money, especially that filthy snot covered TF2 hat wearing kid money. No sir, that would be horrible to make all that money so the studio could go on to make more games. Being underground is totally more valuable than money.[/sarcasm]
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1899823:date=Feb 5 2012, 09:43 AM:name=BearTaxi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearTaxi @ Feb 5 2012, 09:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899823"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I play TF2, I enjoy it, but if there is one thing that annoys me about it it's all the 'OMG HATZ' kids that play it. NS2 will already most likely be advertised by Steam to some degree (front page of store etc) anyway.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh come on. This is immature like hell. "I don't like those people. I don't want to play with them." This is bullsh.... There are idiots on every game. And you know what? Met some of such idiots yesterday in NS2. And often met nice people in TF2. So what? There is no need to hold people back from playing and (more importantly) buying NS2 so plz don't use arguments that scream: "I want NS2 to stay underground."
    <!--quoteo(post=1900139:date=Feb 6 2012, 06:59 PM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Feb 6 2012, 06:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1900139"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh come on. This is immature like hell. "I don't like those people. I don't want to play with them." This is bullsh.... There are idiots on every game. And you know what? Met some of such idiots yesterday in NS2. And often met nice people in TF2. So what? There is no need to hold people back from playing and (more importantly) buying NS2 so plz don't use arguments that scream: "I want NS2 to stay underground."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I never said anything at all like that, don't blame me for words you put in my mouth. I was stating that the demographic which an NS2 themed hat in TF2 would be aiming at in general is the demographic that are the 'OMG HATZ YEY HOW DO I SHOOT?' kids. For example, I mentioned I play TF2 quite often. I have little to no interest in hats, therefor, if there came a NS2 themed hat and I did not know of NS2, It wouldn't spark an interest.

As I mentioned in my post (the part that you seemed to overlook), there will be many other much more effective forms of advertising, and I don't think a TF2 hat neccissary.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    it doesn't matter who buys the hat, or even if hte hat is free/dropped randomly

the fact that ppl playing tf2 will see a ns2 themed hat is free advertising enough :)
  • azimaithazimaith Join Date: 2011-07-03 Member: 107686Members
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1900156:date=Feb 6 2012, 02:13 AM:name=BearTaxi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearTaxi @ Feb 6 2012, 02:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1900156"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I never said anything at all like that, don't blame me for words you put in my mouth. I was stating that the demographic which an NS2 themed hat in TF2 would be aiming at in general is the demographic that are the 'OMG HATZ YEY HOW DO I SHOOT?' kids. For example, I mentioned I play TF2 quite often. I have little to no interest in hats, therefor, if there came a NS2 themed hat and I did not know of NS2, It wouldn't spark an interest.

As I mentioned in my post (the part that you seemed to overlook), there will be many other much more effective forms of advertising, and I don't think a TF2 hat neccissary.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This doesn't even make any sense. How can you get angry about words being "put into your mouth" when you then in the next sentence put words in the mouth of every TF2 player who might want a NS2 hat (gorge hat, thanks.)

Even after that I don't see the logic. You don't care about TF2 hats, so if someone who liked hats saw an NS2 hat they couldn't possibly become interested. That's a huge, unsupported assumption your making.

As for not reading your post, no, you didn't say there will be other forms of more effective advertising, you specifically said and I quote:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There has already been a thread discussing this exact topic.

I don't think an NS2 themed hat is a good idea. I play TF2, I enjoy it, but if there is one thing that annoys me about it it's all the 'OMG HATZ' kids that play it. <b>NS2 will already most likely be advertised by Steam to some degree (front page of store etc) anyway.</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is not saying "oh there are more useful forms of advertising but rather that it's going to be advertised on steam with the impression that because it's going to show up on Steam frontpage it shouldn't be advertised on TF2.

As for more effective forms of advertising, TF2 is a game a lot of people play and a lot of people like to mess around with hats just because they're silly. It's a free, easily accessible, and popular game. Right there you've got an advertisement directed at people who play FPS video games which is a big part of the audience you're targeting.

In addition, both TF2 and NS2 are sequels to half-life mods and so you can get in on the nostalgia front as well of people who might have played the NS and TF mods (like myself) back when and who are now on TF2, which is vastly better known than NS2. With this you also catch people who simply may not know NS2 exists (which is a major point of advertising, simply letting people know you exist.)

He had every right to criticize your post. The hipster-esque "were underground" elitist persona NS2 forums take on sometimes is a good way to drive away casual customers and more importantly their <b>money which amazingly has completely equal value to any thick-rimmed glasses and scarf wearing NS1 players money.</b>

If your dreaded "TF2 OMG HOWZ I SHOOTZ" hat kids don't like NS2, at least they've spent their money on it already.

<!--quoteo(post=1900157:date=Feb 6 2012, 02:17 AM:name=ogz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ogz @ Feb 6 2012, 02:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1900157"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it doesn't matter who buys the hat, or even if hte hat is free/dropped randomly

the fact that ppl playing tf2 will see a ns2 themed hat is free advertising enough :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Do we know that it's actually free advertising. Someone has to code the hats, make the deals, etc.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    personally, i'd prefered a harvester as hat.
    however, i know that there is already the half-life-headcrab-hat and the alien-swarm-parasite hat.
    ofc the harvester is a different kind of thing, but it might look unoriginal to people in tf2 as it is also brain/face-sucking.
  • Banzai¥Banzai¥ Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143902Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1900165:date=Feb 6 2012, 07:34 AM:name=Laosh'Ra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Laosh'Ra @ Feb 6 2012, 07:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1900165"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->personally, i'd prefered a harvester as hat.
    however, i know that there is already the half-life-headcrab-hat and the alien-swarm-parasite hat.
    ofc the harvester is a different kind of thing, but it might look unoriginal to people in tf2 as it is also brain/face-sucking.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Would look fairly cool, and possibly animated like in NS2 when a pyro sets said person with the harvester hat.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Flamer for the Pyro

Or a EXO outfit for the heavy.

Or a Fade watch that doubles the walinkg spped of a spy while "blinking"

Or a pocket gorge for more cutness!!

And the best: A bellyslide taunt for the heavy!
  • Frednic13Frednic13 Join Date: 2012-02-08 Member: 144237Members
    HORRIBLE iDEA!.. with hats,, maybe changing armour colour like Halo with cool symbols and stuff. But you could mod this game to do that if you wanted.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1901127:date=Feb 9 2012, 02:18 AM:name=Frednic13)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frednic13 @ Feb 9 2012, 02:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1901127"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->HORRIBLE iDEA!.. with hats,, maybe changing armour colour like Halo with cool symbols and stuff. But you could mod this game to do that if you wanted.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    TF2 items, not Hats in NS2 :)