Leap isn't an attack?

put3rg33kput3rg33k Join Date: 2012-01-02 Member: 139432Members
<div class="IPBDescription">or am I missing something</div>I consistently hear the Kham (an other teammates) stating use leap when it's available, but I can never seem to do anything in combat with it. There have been several times that I have snuck up on a rine from a hiding spot and an leap at his back only to have nothing happen. Needless to say I gave up my position and now I only get 1 or 2 bites in making me rine bait... Am I missing something here? The wiki says "Leap The Skulk can leap short distances quickly, landing in a pounce and doing damage to its target." So I can only assume that I'm lacking skills and just keep missing, unless I am actually hitting and there is no hit indication... My only other idea is that maybe it doesn't do any damage on it's own and is supposed to be used in conjunction with a bit? Any insight would be appreciated.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Leap is a movement skill to speed up your Skulk along with wall jump boosting. I for one like to see it do a very small amount of damage (like NS) and being able to leap and bite (like NS), the current delay between leap and bite is quite long...
  • RanemanRaneman Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69962Members
    Apparently getting hit in the face with razor sharp claws just doesn't hurt. Leap should do loads of damage, since it's fairly hard to land.
  • put3rg33kput3rg33k Join Date: 2012-01-02 Member: 139432Members
    Well good to know... wiki post is a little bit deceiving then.

A well executed leap should attach the skulk to the marine and allow for a free bite and disorient the rine. Skulks seem pretty unintelligent as I've seen dogs in other games that can take down/disorient a player :-P
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Updated the wiki page. Some things are out of date or incorrect, but that's why it's there--for everyone to contribute and correct.

But yeah, as an NS1 player, it is a little confusing at first to find out that leap does no damage. It really was never used as an actual attack in NS1 anyway...just a way to humiliate the enemy.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Leap is pretty crap atm, it's only marginally better than jumping.

I'd rather it be retooled into an actual attack, like, some sort of ambush power or really powerful charged jump ability? Like you hold down the button and move really slow, but if you let go after holding it for a while you go flying, and if you hit you do bite damage and also are right next to the target.

By the time skulks get leap they need something better than a really energy intensive slightly better jump. It's just not practical to use it as a movement power becase of the energy drain, use it twice to get close and you're out of energy and dead anyway.
    <!--quoteo(post=1896921:date=Jan 23 2012, 11:30 AM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Jan 23 2012, 11:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1896921"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Updated the wiki page. Some things are out of date or incorrect, but that's why it's there--for everyone to contribute and correct.

But yeah, as an NS1 player, it is a little confusing at first to find out that leap does no damage. It really was never used as an actual attack in NS1 anyway...just a way to humiliate the enemy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thats kind of funny. I'd have updated the wiki if I knew the answer. :-D

Probably could open a new thread about it but the Lerk spikes are inconsistent in the wiki as well. The damage ranges listed on the Lerk page (http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Lerk) differ from that when you click on spikes (http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Spikes).
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Indeed, I'd ignore the ability-specific pages on the wiki at the moment. They aren't updated too often, as things change so quickly. The main alien lifeform pages are largely correct, however. There is no sniper mode for the lerk any longer.
    <!--quoteo(post=1896939:date=Jan 23 2012, 12:50 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Jan 23 2012, 12:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1896939"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Indeed, I'd ignore the ability-specific pages on the wiki at the moment. They aren't updated too often, as things change so quickly. The main alien lifeform pages are largely correct, however. There is no sniper mode for the lerk any longer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Dang.. I was pretty sure it wasn't there.. though not 100%
  • PetcoPetco Join Date: 2003-07-27 Member: 18478Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1896921:date=Jan 23 2012, 10:30 AM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Jan 23 2012, 10:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1896921"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Updated the wiki page. Some things are out of date or incorrect, but that's why it's there--for everyone to contribute and correct.

But yeah, as an NS1 player, it is a little confusing at first to find out that leap does no damage. It really was never used as an actual attack in NS1 anyway...just a way to humiliate the enemy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Leap was a good attack but it was just hard to deal full damage.

It can deal up to 80 damage (more than bite) but it was hard to get it to do full damage (the 80 damage comes from intervals of 5 damage or so). The hard part was leaping and sticking to the marine while the leap animation was going on (the damage intervals occurs at the start of the animation and doesn't end until the end of the animation).

At times you'll find you can get decent kills with leaps.

I definitely think it should do damage too like in NS1.
  • sumguy720sumguy720 Join Date: 2011-02-09 Member: 81101Members
    Maybe it should not be an attack, but should somehow replace normal jumping.
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'd like leap to be similar to the hunter in left for dead. Where it grounded the victim while a tearing and shredding animation played. It would scale the skulk for late game as it's a 2nd hive ability, Making him very dangerous to lone marines. Promoting marine team work they could shoot or melee a skulk off a team mate.
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    At one point in NS1 leap used to do insane damage, but it was tied to your fps. You could 4 or 5 shot marine res towers. It would take about 90% of an Obs' health in one. Of course in those days most people didn't get a constant 100 fps.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1896912:date=Jan 23 2012, 08:02 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Jan 23 2012, 08:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1896912"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Leap is a movement skill to speed up your Skulk along with wall jump boosting. I for one like to see it do a very small amount of damage (like NS) and being able to leap and bite (like NS), the current delay between leap and bite is quite long...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    100% agree! Parasite should have the same fix, so it doesnt take a long time before you can bite :P
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    I always wanted some sort of knockback.

So if sneaking up on 2 marines you leap 1 which knocks them back.
    then bite the other.
  • SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    couldn't agree more with most of this thread. Well, most of it...
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    What is the opinion(s) that you are agreeing with? That leap should do damage?
  • SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    I think it'd be interesting if leap did damage proportional to momentum, with leap retaining the skulk's momentum and adding some momentum of its own.
  • SeraphaceSeraphace Join Date: 2011-04-26 Member: 95644Members
    I think adding a L4D type of tiny disable to a well placed leap would be amazing for skulks. Have it sap a lot of energy, so that you can't spam it. This completely promotes blacking out a room, and would make marines incredibly fearful. It would also add to having skulks play stealthily. I know this would be powerful, but I think it's a fantastic feature that makes sense from a lore perspective. Balance changes could be played with.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1897095:date=Jan 24 2012, 03:32 PM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Jan 24 2012, 03:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1897095"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->100% agree! Parasite should have the same fix, so it doesnt take a long time before you can bite :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

100% agree as well. The delay is long enough for it to be greatly noticeable.