Choke

FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">We got alot of them.</div>So almost all games I played I got alot of Choke jumps. Even if the Server runs stable at 30ticks 50-100% choke isn't rare and more players results in more choke (f.e. 22 players today; ticks= 13; choke=50-100% constant.
It also gets worse when several lerks use spores, rines shoot gl and sentrys are firing. I never had so much lost packets in any game I played (ok lying here if I think back to CS).

I checked my ISP by pinging different IPs and running Source games with net_graph. Everything is ok but NS2.

Anyone else noticed this?

Comments

• ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    I have the same thing, my choke always spikes constantly when <b>any</b> form of action is going on. I am sure it has a massive impact on the game.

Most frequently I see it jump to 80% and then back down to 0% with no action. In full servers with a lot of structures sometimes it starts at 20% and spikes upwards.

I even see it hit 90% or 100% sometimes!

Perhaps someone with more technical knowledge than I could explain the gameplay effect this has?
  • sebusebu Join Date: 2011-09-21 Member: 122375Members
    Weird. As far as my choke goes it really doesn't spike. Only thing what I have is random freezes which happen in every 1-8 minutes. They last about 5 sec each.
  • KrizzenKrizzen Join Date: 2011-12-16 Member: 138181Members
    Same thing happens to me, but I also get 10-20 FPS in heated mid-game combat. What kind of FPS do you guys get? I think that may be the culprit.

Choke would probably be the equivalent of packet loss where your client essentially 'misses out' on some of the action. Of course, with about 10 FPS, I can miss 20 frames on 30 tick rate server. I guesstimate that translates to a 66% choke. Could be wrong.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I suspect this has been going on all along (which is why people with >30 fps still have lag issues), but that we didn't have a nice way to measure it in-game. No clue what's causing it, but if anyone can find repro steps that cause it 100% of the time, please post.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1896901:date=Jan 23 2012, 07:34 PM:name=Krizzen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Krizzen @ Jan 23 2012, 07:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1896901"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Same thing happens to me, but I also get 10-20 FPS in heated mid-game combat. What kind of FPS do you guys get? I think that may be the culprit.

Choke would probably be the equivalent of packet loss where your client essentially 'misses out' on some of the action. Of course, with about 10 FPS, I can miss 20 frames on 30 tick rate server. I guesstimate that translates to a 66% choke. Could be wrong.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

45-60 in heavycombat with alot of things.
    There are some points in Summit f.e. Glass you always get a 100% choke.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    Might be because the equivalent of the rate command in hl is set low. This would mean that when action is going on the game can't send you all the packets without reaching the limit. No idea though, since you can't see or change any of the net settings at the moment.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2012
    Nah it's probably too many messages being send from and to the server or something weird about physics, by having lot's of things happening between clients. Just have everyone on a server gather at any area and run/shoot/melee all over the area without hitting each other and see the choke shoot up to 100%, once you stop moving/shooting it goes back down to 0% :)

The random up to 40%-70% spikes in hallways seems to be something about loading the next area you're about to enter as far as I can see (r_wireframe), this is even more of an issue when you're attacking an alien hive or marine base.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    We are aware of the choke issues, and Max is currently working on it.

--Cory