Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 193 released

124»

Comments

• BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1897361:date=Jan 25 2012, 11:10 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Jan 25 2012, 11:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1897361"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hm... in NS1, aliens spawned in waves, didn't they? Or was that CO only?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Co only. In NS it was one by one, which made it pretty important to protect the spawn area and all that.

One thingy I didn't particularly appreciate is how easily things snowball as alien if you decisively lose a big fight on early res node. Losing the node was a big hurt already, but it became even bigger when you had to respawn one by one and only then start regaining the map presence. Some kind of way to momentarily dodge long spawn queues like that with good planning, res investment or smart play would be really sweet. Eggs could at least potentially improve that by a big margin.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1897253:date=Jan 25 2012, 06:43 PM:name=NurEinMensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NurEinMensch @ Jan 25 2012, 06:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1897253"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you saying 2 skulks dealing with a sentry is just the same as 1 skulk dealing with it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The sentry's role is as an area effect deterrent (essentially, its goal is to simply make taking certain routes, using certain tactics, or attacking certain targets "always" harder), so while more aliens dealing with 1 sentry doesn't scale, in terms of "area defended" there's nothing to scale. It genuinely works as a deterrent because aliens generally have some prior warning of the sentry's existence, and can adapt around it. The same cannot be said of mines. They do all of their damage instantly, and are removed upon use. Like it or not, mines are traps more than defenses.

I'll say it again. The real issue with mines is that there aren't any trade-offs. You just spend excess PRes on mines because there's nothing else really to spend it on.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1897193:date=Jan 24 2012, 05:49 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Jan 24 2012, 05:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1897193"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You just spend excess PRes on mines because there's nothing else really to spend it on.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

thats why they're going to bring back the HMG..........<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->right<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->? :)
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    Pssh, either way, you'd just buy a HMG and then you'd buy more mines. I'm talking more about consumables. There was one idea in I&S where you wouldn't get armour for free from the Armoury, but you could choose to repair your armour for a small fee (or of course get repaired for "free" by a teammate).

<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->(+1 for bringing back the HMG, or an upgrade to the rifle that basically makes it a HMG.)<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2012
    I haven't played in 15 patches or so, but I have a few bug reports for 193:

<strike>1) Shotgun doesn't always fire when you press fire. This is like... once in every shot in 15-20 shots. Is it just me? I get this constantly and it really peeves me. I've died so many times because of it.</strike>

I didn't know jumping around restricted shooting nowadays, nvm.

2) When the spawns change, if you're a marine at the spot where the alien spawns next, you can hear the hive drop there simultaneously as you spawn to your own new base. So you know instantly where the enemy is.

Fps seems a bit worse for me, oddly, compared to 15 patches ago. It's playable though.

Edit: not a bug
  • BoBiNoUBoBiNoU Join Date: 2007-12-27 Member: 63274Members
    Just hijacking this thread for a good cause :

Could we get more wallpapers from Cory's Artworks please :D
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1897361:date=Jan 25 2012, 11:10 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Jan 25 2012, 11:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1897361"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hm... in NS1, aliens spawned in waves, didn't they? Or was that CO only?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That was CO only. In the normal game you were put in a queue with a set time between each spawn. So if you just died, and there were already three dead aliens, you would have to wait (for example) 6 seconds for the first to spawn, another 6 seconds for the second to spawn, another 6 seconds for the third to spawn and finally another 6 seconds before you yourself spawned. Worked like a charm.

The egg spawning system in NS2 was implemented to prevent spawncamping, but it hasn't helped at all in that regard.

Edit: I pulled "6 seconds" out of my ass, I don't remember the exact amount of seconds it took in NS1.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    I would post this in the bug-thread\getsatisfaction, but in fear it'll be buried\unnoticed:

The +connect parameter (for use in conjunction with NS2.exe) doesn't seem to do anything anymore.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1897357:date=Jan 25 2012, 05:57 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Jan 25 2012, 05:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1897357"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->forces marines to either stay in base, or get a robo fac right off the bat<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that's funny, because it's the same thing for aliens except their defensive structures are weaker and slower to get out!

I think this is the price you pay for playing an FPS-RTS hybrid game: your base is important, and if your entire team opts not to defend it, even the worst opponents will notice <i>eventually</i>. Since I love grandstanding so much: if NS2 is to maintain its status as a 'one of a kind' game, situations like this should not be resolved by design changes, but by the players developing how they play.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1897602:date=Jan 27 2012, 01:22 AM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ Jan 27 2012, 01:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1897602"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->that's funny, because it's the same thing for aliens except their defensive structures are weaker and slower to get out!

I think this is the price you pay for playing an FPS-RTS hybrid game: your base is important, and if your entire team opts not to defend it, even the worst opponents will notice <i>eventually</i>. Since I love grandstanding so much: if NS2 is to maintain its status as a 'one of a kind' game, situations like this should not be resolved by design changes, but by the players developing how they play.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

huh? whips and hydras are tier 1 tech. in fact a few builds ago whips were standard 1st or 2nd building. are you really telling me that you see turrets being placed before aliens have a chance to get static d up? that's...highly unlikely?
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oh, if there's a weapon at your feet and you're repairing a power node, it keeps picking up the weapon over and over again, switching it with the previous one. That's why weapon pickup should have its own key OR you should be looking at it at an angle. This is not a console game, don't bind too many things into one button.
  • BearTaxiBearTaxi Join Date: 2011-11-15 Member: 133064Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1897862:date=Jan 28 2012, 05:37 PM:name=Skie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skie @ Jan 28 2012, 05:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1897862"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is not a console game, don't bind too many things into one button.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

QFT.
  • BackstabberBackstabber Join Date: 2012-01-12 Member: 140184Members
    Haven't updated from 192 to 193 and this is almost a week ago.
    Any tips on how to do it manually?
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just check the integrity of the game, steam will then download the new files.