gorgelift?

WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">like lerklift but more delicious</div>so, i was thinking that one of the great deficiencies in the game right now is the utter lack of constructive things for a gorge to do. the whole class is boring and, with the inclusion of lerk gas confusing turrets, almost unnecessary. one other deficiency in the game is that marines are actually a lot faster and more efficient at map control due to bases being "mobile" than aliens: there is no limit to the number of times or frequency with which you can repair power nodes, when you're done with a base you can recycle it and use the resources to fund a new forward base, etc vs. immovable structures that are limited by cysts/infestation (time limited due to energy regen) and drifters (also limited by the same source). this makes setting up forward bases tedious and slow; many times these forward bases will be fairly far behind the front line because a single marine can destroy a crag farm fairly quickly.

i think we could solve both problems at once by allowing gorges to move structures such as the crag, shade, shift, etc. by swallowing them and then spitting them out elsewhere. This would allow the alien commander not to worry too much about dropping these structures in a vulnerable spot or putting them too far back to make their support capability inefficient or ineffective. also, it would encourage teamplay on the alien side to make sure the gorge(s) arrive at the front lines safely. This would also allow early game strategies such as an early forward structures for containment or rushes, backdoors, etc. imagine a gorge dropping an unconnected minicyst and plopping down a shade right outside the marine base, or a forward crag and umbra'ing while skulks rush a turret farm.

Comments

• NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I like the idea. This would also allow to drop some hydras early at the main hive so that they can be moved later when no longer necessary.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1894169:date=Jan 13 2012, 05:43 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Jan 13 2012, 05:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1894169"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->one other deficiency in the game is that marines are actually a lot faster and more efficient at map control due to bases being "mobile" than aliens: there is no limit to the number of times or frequency with which you can repair power nodes, when you're done with a base you can recycle it and use the resources to fund a new forward base, etc vs. immovable structures that are limited by cysts/infestation (time limited due to energy regen) and drifters (also limited by the same source). this makes setting up forward bases tedious and slow; many times these forward bases will be fairly far behind the front line because a single marine can destroy a crag farm fairly quickly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The Shift alien structure, which will be added soon, will allow the alien commander to relocate alien structures (including even the Hive I think) to other parts of the map. I think Alien players may be able to use it as well, to change location, but not entirely sure.

--Cory
  • NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1894176:date=Jan 13 2012, 12:07 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jan 13 2012, 12:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1894176"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Shift alien structure, which will be added soon, will allow the alien commander to relocate alien structures (including even the Hive I think) to other parts of the map. I think Alien players may be able to use it as well, to change location, but not entirely sure.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Also including the hydras? Because they are the thing the gorge spent most resources on. Sometimes they arent needed anymore sometimes they are being missplaced. Some servers are running limited amount of hydras in an area, i see the point of those mods but it kinda sucks when you cant remove the hydras.
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    As this is a new game i would really like to see more added, new player abilities like lerk lift and hanging or a gorge grappling hook would be a lot of fun and add something thats actually useful, i don't think uwe are going far enough with new features, the game has a lot of potential so it's worth trying some ideas out.
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1894176:date=Jan 13 2012, 10:07 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jan 13 2012, 10:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1894176"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Shift alien structure, which will be added soon, will allow the alien commander to relocate alien structures (including even the Hive I think) to other parts of the map. I think Alien players may be able to use it as well, to change location, but not entirely sure.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What happened to Hive teleportation?

Has it been ditched for good? I miss being able to just teleport hive to hive with ease, it would also help out aliens who seem to be taking be taking beating from the marines frequently now.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1894190:date=Jan 13 2012, 07:46 PM:name=Heroman117)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Heroman117 @ Jan 13 2012, 07:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1894190"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What happened to Hive teleportation?

Has it been ditched for good? I miss being able to just teleport hive to hive with ease, it would also help out aliens who seem to be taking be taking beating from the marines frequently now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Try reading his post again.