Skulk walljumping

swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
<div class="IPBDescription">Make it dependent on view angle</div>At the moment skulk walljumping is dependent on the angle of the wall.
It would make it more useful for closing in on marines, which skulks really need.

Comments

• BearTaxiBearTaxi Join Date: 2011-11-15 Member: 133064Members
    Implementing this would mean changing the fixed camera angle the skulk currently has. This is a bad thing. All it means is it's even harder to keep track of marines.

This is how jumping from walls works in AVP, and it is definately NOT better.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1893000:date=Jan 7 2012, 04:54 PM:name=BearTaxi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearTaxi @ Jan 7 2012, 04:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1893000"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Implementing this would mean changing the fixed camera angle the skulk currently has. This is a bad thing. All it means is it's even harder to keep track of marines.

This is how jumping from walls works in AVP, and it is definately NOT better.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm talking about walljumping, not wallwalking. When you are on the walls, and press space.
    When you press space now, you jump away from the wall(dependent on the angle of the wall).
    I'm saying that you should jump towards your view angle.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Agreed with OP. Walljumping right now is pretty much useless.
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1893044:date=Jan 7 2012, 09:52 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Jan 7 2012, 09:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1893044"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Agreed with OP. Walljumping right now is pretty much useless.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+101
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    It's already in the game though :

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->  
            // Jumping off wall            
            local jumpsAwayFromWall = false

local playerViewDirection = self:GetViewAngles():GetCoords().zAxis

local wallJumpVelocity = Clamp(Skulk.kWallJumpForce + self:GetVelocity():GetLength(), Skulk.kWallJumpForce, Skulk.kWallJumpForce + Skulk.kMaxSpeed)
            local wallJumpDirection = self.wallWalkingNormalCurrent * wallJumpVelocity

if (playerViewDirection:DotProduct(self.wallWalkingNormalCurrent) > 0) then

// give more weigth to viewdirection if facing away from wall
                wallJumpDirection = wallJumpDirection + playerViewDirection*10
                jumpsAwayFromWall = true

end

wallJumpDirection:Normalize()
            wallJumpDirection:Scale(wallJumpVelocity)

local upwardsVelocity = Clamp(2 + (playerViewDirection.y) * 11, -5, Skulk.kWallJumpMaxUpwardForce)

velocity.x = velocity.x + wallJumpDirection.x
            velocity.y = upwardsVelocity
            velocity.z = velocity.z + wallJumpDirection.z

self:SetVelocity(velocity)<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

What is does is if the player if not looking in the wall (playerViewDirection:DotProduct(self.wallWalkingNormalCurrent) > 0) then the jump
    direction is domination by the player View Direction :

wallJumpDirection = wallJumpDirection + playerViewDirection*10
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1893069:date=Jan 8 2012, 12:35 AM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Jan 8 2012, 12:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1893069"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's already in the game though :<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, yes and no. The way the current implementation works, you can't really jump 45 degrees from a wall for example. If you try, it just propels you out at a 90 degrees angle from the wall.

I shouldn't have said that it's pretty much useless though, which is just me being inflammatory. The current implementation is a lot better than nothing. It's too restricting though and could be improved in many ways.
  • CorpseyCorpsey Join Date: 2011-07-02 Member: 107538Members
    edited January 2012
    Is there any easy way to modify the code files and just run the game, or would I have to set up a new gametype? I wouldn't mind trying to modify the script
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited January 2012
    Open the launch pad, load decoda, load the NS2 game-files, open the .lua file you want to modify (make a back-up first), change what you need to, run it. (Actually you can run the game, make changes, save the changes while you're in a local server, and see the changes in-game).

The easiest way is to just change
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->            wallJumpDirection = wallJumpDirection + playerViewDirection*10<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
    to
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->            wallJumpDirection = playerViewDirection<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
    and you won't have to change anything else. (though you end up with some obsolete code)

Yuuki: Why is the vertical velocity treated separately to the others?
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    190 should have an improved walljump system for the Skulk which improves what currently exists. I'm hoping it's a step in the right direction and will continue to improve for the NS2 1.0 release this year (as stated by Cory).
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    hmm, well, if this has already been said, I'm sorry, but why not just jump in the direction you are looking? This jump direction is superseded by holding a movement key, which jumps you in that direction.

So look for controlling your jump direction, a movement key to do a generic jump, or crouch to just drop. That handles most situations right?
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    wall-jumping might still be an issue but the real question is leap been improved in 190?

the current mini-leap issues;

1.short jump
    2.slow, with predictable movement
    3. can't leap again during motion
    4.must have more air control/momentum
    5.drains far to much energy to quickly for this unpleasant movement
    6. leap needs to do damage as well (minor damage if anything)
    7. pushing leap sometimes stalls your movement in-place without pushing you forward like it should

for those not aware of this, first we had mini-leap then we had to upgrade to full leap. This was removed, and replaced with default mini-leap which still hasn't changed for a long time. So basically leap must be more agile movement, current state is still broken.
    I think the main problem is the speed clamp. Every life form has a maximal authorized speed, and if you try to go faster than this maximal speed to game clamp your speed. It's a trick to avoid some problems but it does more bad than good in my opinion. The "normal" (physical) way to limit speed is to use friction.

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/afOTvWYslwA"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/afOTvWYslwA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
  • Gh0tiGh0ti Join Date: 2011-07-09 Member: 109180Members
    God that looks so awesome, Yuuki.
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    edited January 2012
    That's awesome. It's just a shame a community member had to make it possible before the dev team! Gameplay enhancing community ftw.

EDIT-Can you make bunnyhopping? :)
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    How does it work for moving from point A to B in a map? I see it'll do well in close-combat situations, but it may not assist in covering (large) distances, which is also a large issue currently with skulks. Bunnyhopping may have to make an appearance yet again, or simply a higher default running speed.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    @player, L shaped corners and straight no clutter hallways are the way to speed up mostly. But as it stands now, most of them are too cramped or cluttered with railings/wires that snag you. Needs more "clipbrushing" :P
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1893414:date=Jan 10 2012, 07:58 PM:name=konata)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (konata @ Jan 10 2012, 07:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1893414"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's just a shame a community member had to make it possible before the dev team! Gameplay enhancing community ftw.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The dev team is focused on getting all of the necessary features implemented and working first, to make this game fully playable. Enhanced movement abilities such as skulk walljumping were not being left out because we don't want them, or because we don't have plans for them, they are just further down on the schedule. So, we certainly welcome any community contributions which can improve the gameplay, and will certainly incorporate them if they are done well enough and if we feel they are a good addition to NS2.

--Cory
    Yuuki, so what changes were made to the code? Are you going to create a thread in the mod subforum for this?
    I haven't done much, I just removed speed clamping and adjusted a bit the numbers (friction and forces).

I could do a mod, but it requires a bit more tweaking I think (need to adjust air control and such).
  • Fluid CoreFluid Core Join Date: 2007-12-26 Member: 63260Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1893443:date=Jan 11 2012, 12:42 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jan 11 2012, 12:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1893443"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The dev team is focused on getting all of the necessary features implemented and working first, to make this game fully playable. Enhanced movement abilities such as skulk walljumping were not being left out because we don't want them, or because we don't have plans for them, they are just further down on the schedule. So, we certainly welcome any community contributions which can improve the gameplay, and will certainly incorporate them if they are done well enough and if we feel they are a good addition to NS2.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Keep up the good work :)
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    In 190 you still need to hold a movement key to get to a desired angle.
    When you are not holding one, you should still jump towards your view direction.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1893443:date=Jan 10 2012, 03:42 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jan 10 2012, 03:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1893443"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The dev team is focused on getting all of the necessary features implemented and working first, to make this game fully playable.
    --Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

its okay, Cory, we know.
    you should just ignore konata's negativity like everyone else does

Yuuki: excellent job. really.
  • sumguy720sumguy720 Join Date: 2011-02-09 Member: 81101Members
    Oh man, so everything in NS2 should have uncapped speed, but would have coefficients of viscous and contact friction to limit their speeds in air and on the ground.

Like everything would have frictional forces on it proportional to the squares of their velocities.

That's a really good idea.

MY experience with limiting speed with friction is that sometimes the players can get sort of bogged down or stuck just due to imprecise calculations or buggy surface contact calculations or something else, but that's probably because I'm a physicist, not a programmer.
    Hang on, so clarification, are friction and forces already in the game? I was under the impression that everything was done directly to velocities (plus gravity, for downward acceleration), and that masses and forces didn't really play a part.
    Friction and force are in the game yes, well all you need for that is a way to change the speed and the time spent during two frames. Last time I check masses where not used but it's not a problem because it's usually redundant whit other parameters (you can rescale the forces to get rid of the mass).

But the game do not follow a strict physical approach it seems, it's a bit of a mix of forces and changing directly velocity (like clamping it). I think the approach is ok, you don't really want to stick to physics anyway.
  • nUfl0wnUfl0w Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42412Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1893996:date=Jan 12 2012, 10:20 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Jan 12 2012, 10:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1893996"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->its okay, Cory, we know.
    you should just ignore konata's negativity like everyone else does

Yuuki: excellent job. really.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

god damn it where is the i like button?!
  • DaelornDaelorn Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140272Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1893000:date=Jan 7 2012, 04:54 PM:name=BearTaxi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearTaxi @ Jan 7 2012, 04:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1893000"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Implementing this would mean changing the fixed camera angle the skulk currently has. This is a bad thing. All it means is it's even harder to keep track of marines.

This is how jumping from walls works in AVP, and it is definately NOT better.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hi. I was looking for this info when I found that post.

Only want to say that AvP's system for wallwalking aliens is still for me a must have. Immersive and intuitive.
    He does required a great sense of "positioning in space", so yep a lot of people had trouble with this but some (as myself) could move without any problem : D
    In my opinion AvP was incredibly better on this point. ^^

In fact if some UnknownWorlds team members read this. I would be happy to see an simple little option to unlock the ficked camera for wallwalking ! (option = choice = best possiblity ! ^^ Think about it ! Please !)
    Because actually I don't like at all how Skulk manages to wallwalk (still my personnal feelings !)

P.s : sorry for strange english, caribbean player here ! :p
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1893988:date=Jan 12 2012, 08:58 PM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Jan 12 2012, 08:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1893988"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In 190 you still need to hold a movement key to get to a desired angle. When you are not holding one, you should still jump towards your view direction.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> I full-hardheartedly agree with your assessment and hope this in done in the future. In order to have movement feel as natural as it did in Natural Selection 1, things will need to be tweaked. For example, having the wall to the right of my viewing angle as a Skulk and pressing space to propel forward in the attempt to "walljump" off the wall in a forward direction, I end up finding myself being thrown directly to my left instead of the forward angle I'm looking towards.

I have pointed out several suggestions for the new system to Schimmel before 190 was shipped and also forwarded this discussion to Charlie at Unknown Worlds. I haven't heard back from Charlie, but, some of the points I tried to point out in the conversation, Schimmel understood. Unfortunately, when this system was created, it was not tweaked based off usage in a mainstream map like Summit. It was tweaked within a dev map with no props and wide open areas. Excessive props and tight corridors were not taken into consideration which resulted in an unnatural feeling to the new system. Hopefully in future revisions, the movement and the mechanics for the Skulk Walljump system will be tested in maps that are currently being played (summit, tram, turtle, descent, etc.), and if done, the outcome will give the player a more natural experience.

Lastly, I have showed interest in what Yuuki has done with the Fade movement of late and have recently suggested (as well as a few other play testers) that this system be considered for the Fade Blink feature. Currently the Fade Blink system similar to the Stalker class of Starcraft 2 in how the movement feels. The Stalker and current Fade Blink is being used as an immediate point-A to point-B teleport with an immediate "stop of momentum" after you have teleported from point-A to desired destination. In Natural Selection 2, the Blink is used to navigate, not to teleport, which in theory means it should carry over the momentum of your chosen Blink path and the angle in which you are using Blink in. I strongly believe that what Yuuki has created will give a more streamlined feel to how the Fade blinks in Natural Selection 2. It will stay true to the concept UWE has for the NS2 Fade Blink but also give the same feeling the NS1 Fade possessed when navigating around the map using Blink.
    <!--quoteo(post=1894163:date=Jan 13 2012, 06:01 PM:name=vizioNz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vizioNz @ Jan 13 2012, 06:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1894163"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I full-hardheartedly agree with your assessment and hope this in done in the future. In order to have movement feel as natural as it did in Natural Selection 1, things will need to be tweaked. For example, having the wall to the right of my viewing angle as a Skulk and pressing space to propel forward in the attempt to "walljump" off the wall in a forward direction, I end up finding myself being thrown directly to my left instead of the forward angle I'm looking towards.

I have pointed out several suggestions for the new system to Schimmel before 190 was shipped and also forwarded this discussion to Charlie at Unknown Worlds. I haven't heard back from Charlie, but, some of the points I tried to point out in the conversation, Schimmel understood. Unfortunately, when this system was created, it was not tweaked based off usage in a mainstream map like Summit. It was tweaked within a dev map with no props and wide open areas. Excessive props and tight corridors were not taken into consideration which resulted in an unnatural feeling to the new system. Hopefully in future revisions, the movement and the mechanics for the Skulk Walljump system will be tested in maps that are currently being played (summit, tram, turtle, descent, etc.), and if done, the outcome will give the player a more natural experience.

Lastly, I have showed interest in what Yuuki has done with the Fade movement of late and have recently suggested (as well as a few other play testers) that this system be considered for the Fade Blink feature. Currently the Fade Blink system similar to the Stalker class of Starcraft 2 in how the movement feels. The Stalker and current Fade Blink is being used as an immediate point-A to point-B teleport with an immediate "stop of momentum" after you have teleported from point-A to desired destination. In Natural Selection 2, the Blink is used to navigate, not to teleport, which in theory means it should carry over the momentum of your chosen Blink path and the angle in which you are using Blink in. I strongly believe that what Yuuki has created will give a more streamlined feel to how the Fade blinks in Natural Selection 2. It will stay true to the concept UWE has for the NS2 Fade Blink but also give the same feeling the NS1 Fade possessed when navigating around the map using Blink.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This.
    <!--quoteo(post=1894163:date=Jan 13 2012, 06:01 PM:name=vizioNz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vizioNz @ Jan 13 2012, 06:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1894163"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Stalker and current Fade Blink is being used as an immediate point-A to point-B teleport with an immediate "stop of momentum" after you have teleported from point-A to desired destination.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The obvious difference being that the stalker has a ranged weapon while the fade is melee. It's a fundamental difference in terms of what kind of movement you need in order to stay within range of your opponent. Anyone who doesn't understand what I mean by this should try blinking after and hitting a marine that's running away from you. It is very difficult with the current blink model (unless you blink until you're ahead of him in his projected path, effectively presenting your face to his shotgun), but would be rather easy if momentum was preserved.