Marine Commander-Ability: Sealing The Vents

WolpertingerWolpertinger Join Date: 2011-12-24 Member: 138958Members
edited December 2011 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">This seems fleshed out, simple and easy to integrate?</div>From my brainstorming-thread.

The commander of the Marines can drop an unbuilt-seal which a Marine has to finish building to seal any entrance of a vent-system.

Possibly they could be upgradable? Three levels, each one is, of course, stronger?

EDIT: I just realized that a few vent-entrances are out of reach for Marines. Hm. Maybe seals would install themselfs, but take some time?

Comments

• swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2011
    The base idea is good, but you could import some of the ns1 vent sealing model into it.
    That would at least solve the problem about marines not being able to reach them.
    I don't think upgradable vent seals is a good idea.
    Just make them invulnerable, and when the power goes out, have them be destroyed.
    That would give powernodes another way to affect gameplay.
    Now, should they require a welder, or just the building tool, to be built?
    Should all vents be sealable?
    My two cents.
  • WolpertingerWolpertinger Join Date: 2011-12-24 Member: 138958Members
    Never played NS1.
    Back then I did not have internet. And today I don't have Half-Life 1 on my steam-account.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    In NS1 specific vents were weldable.
    There was a "control" panels that you had to use your welder on for x amount of time to shut the vents.
    After vents had been shut, they could never be opened, which I think should be adressed for the 2nd game.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1891635:date=Dec 25 2011, 07:56 PM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Dec 25 2011, 07:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891635"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In NS1 specific vents were weldable.
    There was a "control" panels that you had to use your welder on for x amount of time to shut the vents.
    After vents had been shut, they could never be opened, which I think should be adressed for the 2nd game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As I recall, some maps let you press the panel to open and close them.
    <!--quoteo(post=1891657:date=Dec 26 2011, 01:19 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Dec 26 2011, 01:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891657"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As I recall, some maps let you press the panel to open and close them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I stand corrected, I guess.
    But I meant to say for aliens. They had no way of dealing with welded vents.
    <!--quoteo(post=1891661:date=Dec 26 2011, 12:58 AM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Dec 26 2011, 12:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891661"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I stand corrected, I guess.
    But I meant to say for aliens. They had no way of dealing with welded vents.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can't remember if aliens could press buttons but I think you might be right.

I think the best system would be giving vents buildable controls which close a hatch, but then having the controls be destroyable or the hatch infested to open it.
    edited December 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1891663:date=Dec 26 2011, 02:15 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Dec 26 2011, 02:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891663"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can't remember if aliens could press buttons but I think you might be right.

I think the best system would be giving vents buildable controls which close a hatch, but then having the controls be destroyable or the hatch infested to open it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's a good idea as well, but powernodes are really missing some purpose.
    Having vents, and motion tracking?, being limited to power nodes/powered areas, would give aliens more reasons to kill the nodes.
    That would make aliens think before entering a room.
    And have them try to have intel on the marines, so they make the right decision on what to kill.
  • WolpertingerWolpertinger Join Date: 2011-12-24 Member: 138958Members
    If I think about it, I really like that idea of indestructable sealed vents that can only be removed by destroying a power node.
    But are all of the vents connected to rooms with power nodes?
  • botchiballbotchiball Join Date: 2003-04-24 Member: 15810Members, Constellation
    I really liked the sealing vents in NS1. The only thing that I'd think could make it better for NS2 might be that infestation would (overtime) destroy the device which is keeping the vent shut. So if kharaa take over a marine base, they are again able to use all points of access.

This would require a marine ability to stop the infestation from creeping into their base though, as it would get really annoying welding the same access panel over and over and over.
  • RanemanRaneman Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69962Members
    Infestation should burn off the vent cover itself, and short out the control panel if there is one.
    edited December 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1891664:date=Dec 26 2011, 01:20 AM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Dec 26 2011, 01:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891664"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's a good idea as well, but powernodes are really missing some purpose.
    Having vents, and motion tracking?, being limited to power nodes/powered areas, would give aliens more reasons to kill the nodes.
    That would make aliens think before entering a room.
    And have them try to have intel on the marines, so they make the right decision on what to kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I dunno, taking out the power node does disable every marine building in the room, it's a massive weak point for marines and a massive benefit to aliens.

In rooms without buildings? I don't really think the power nodes should be the object of the fight. I quite like there being neutral ground.

Plus I kinda want some way to get the vents unlocked without resorting to a full on attack, being able to spit a cyst at the vent to open it would be quite interesting, as would the alien commander working his infestation through the vents to open them.
    edited December 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1891739:date=Dec 26 2011, 08:10 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Dec 26 2011, 08:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891739"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I dunno, taking out the power node does disable every marine building in the room, it's a massive weak point for marines and a massive benefit to aliens.

In rooms without buildings? I don't really think the power nodes should be the object of the fight. I quite like there being neutral ground.

Plus I kinda want some way to get the vents unlocked without resorting to a full on attack, being able to spit a cyst at the vent to open it would be quite interesting, as would the alien commander working his infestation through the vents to open them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Still, if there are not turrets in the room, the powernode is not worth taking down at the moment.
    You'd always go for the extractor or the phase gate etc.
    Tieing these things to powernodes will give more depth in decision making when attacking structures.
    And more importance to taking down powernodes in mid-late game.
    The powernode would be required to seal the vents.
    I think that infestation should interact with powernodes, and shut them down after x amount of time.