Official NS2 bot

12346»

Comments

• Ineluki80Ineluki80 Join Date: 2013-01-20 Member: 180772Members
    edited January 2013
    Has anyone heared something new from the bot coding front line ?
    And what happened to "Onos Ate Me"s good looking bot (<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=115742&view=findpost&p=1894366" target="_blank">videos</a>).
    Last Update seems to be <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=115742&view=findpost&p=1896547" target="_blank">one year old</a>.
  • OwnkruidOwnkruid Join Date: 2013-01-02 Member: 177090Members
    I've managed to get it to work now, just wondering if i'm able to add a command to my mapcycle.txt or something to load them on every map change.
  • bloppinsbloppins Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183583Members
    edited March 2013
    Does this bot still work? I just get errors when I try to addbots. I cannot see all the console text, but the errors seem to be with "GetIsFlying" along with some other stuff in the same .lua

Edit: The errors are in the bot.lua, and MixinUtility.lua.

If I knew how to scroll the console text, and copy it I could give more details.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Its doubtful as much has changed since the first versions were released. Would love to see someone pick this project back up as competent NS2 bots is one of the big features missing from the game.
  • paologerochipaologerochi Join Date: 2010-04-25 Member: 71534Members
    please someone update the bots...
    Alright, Borsty isn't updating his bots codes at the moment I update his source to work with the lastest NS2 build, it should work on NS2 build 240. I've got no knowledge in coding stuff, can anyone teach me?

NS2 Build 240 Bots
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    edited March 2013
    I'm working atm on a Ai for my single player mod, and it works without that "VirtualClient" so should be better for performance.
    They can fight each other and search waypoints, need now to go them where i tell them to go and don't move to near (like the end of the vid, nobody can hit anotherone then ^^)
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    Great i hope a working bots will soon see a day light! NS2 community would realy benefit from such a mod :)
  • bonoryebonorye Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7998Members

Alright, Borsty isn't updating his bots codes at the moment I update his source to work with the lastest NS2 build, it should work on NS2 build 240. I've got no knowledge in coding stuff, can anyone teach me?

NS2 Build 240 Bots

I've installed this per the readme file and no bots spawn in-game after typing "setbots n", "n" being the number of bots you want.
  • sinkingmistsinkingmist Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172905Members
    A few weeks back I had a go at taking Borsty's bots and combining it with Combat mode to make a Offline-Combat-Practice-With-Bots-Mod (which also nicely skirts the idea of having to write tactical/strategic AI).
    Long story short, the lack of documentation makes progress incredibly slow and I've since given up.

I think if UWE can write up some key functions, ones that are incredibly difficult for someone without comprehensive knowledge of how all the pieces fit together, progress will be much faster.

Such functions are:

Path Generator functions for Skulk movement - at the least, has skulks not floor skulking in a straight line and has them randomly going on walls/ceilings/other surfaces. Ideally, has functions that tries to make some wall jumps intelligently. I've had a look at various lua, including WallMovementMixin.lua, to have an attempt at even just intelligently recognising surfaces, but it's very difficult to make progress with so little documentation.

Situational Awareness for bots - it's currently easy to give bots 360 degree situational awareness, but hard to simulate a real person. You can restrict view, but bots won't react to sound or even when attacked. So need a function that has bots turning to sound (appropriately) and turning to face attackers. Especially important for Skulk attacking-AI (since it would often require skulks to not necessarily have eyes on target, but still know approximately where potential targets are, as they close in via walls/ceilings).

Strategic Map Awareness - Less important for Combat Mode idea, but very important for introducing bots to real NS2. This is a tricky issue, but I envisage the following. There needs to be a function that understands what rooms are, what are in those rooms, how they are connected (and by what method. Broadly, vent or corridor that allows full access) and if any forces (friendly or hostile) are in those rooms (subject to what the bot should actually be capable of knowing).
    Once this is done, modders can then build on this to assign values to rooms based on what's in there (res node? tech point? enemy buildings?), how dangerous it is (enemy hive/cc close by?) and how it connects to other rooms and hence how it affects potential value of those rooms (will taking this room block enemy expansion? will losing this room expose friendly rooms to danger? does this room with no res node have importance because it blocks entry to 3 rooms with res nodes?). Bots can then move to rooms based on its value weighted by its proximity to the bot, leading to pseudo-human-player decision making.

If UWE writes and releases such key functions, modders can then take them, extend them, connect them, learn from them, and maybe make some real progress at making bots that are actually worth playing with/against.
    edited March 2013
    bonorye wrote: »

NS2 Build 240 Bots

I've installed this per the readme file and no bots spawn in-game after typing "setbots n", "n" being the number of bots you want.
    Sorry I forgot about that, first you need to type "cheats 1", then the command..
  • bonoryebonorye Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7998Members
    got it running. I'm pretty impressed with what has been accomplished so far. Bots are building what I tell them to build and skulks are attacking. The base of AI is there, thank you for getting this running.
  • CoTTonCoTTon Join Date: 2005-02-28 Member: 42773Members
    it seems to be working still - however cannot control the alien's when you are the alien commanders

and most of the times skulks will not bite extractors or power nodes - just stands in front doing nothing - same for marines - not going after enemy extractors - just stands there too
    CoTTon wrote: »
    it seems to be working still - however cannot control the alien's when you are the alien commanders

and most of the times skulks will not bite extractors or power nodes - just stands in front doing nothing - same for marines - not going after enemy extractors - just stands there too
    Dude, you can't control the aliens... only marines even in NS1. dude, how long have you been playing?
  • CoTTonCoTTon Join Date: 2005-02-28 Member: 42773Members

I don't usually use bots - so EXCUSE me.
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    With my bots you can also give orders to aliens.
  • tk-421tk-421 Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58315Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Jim, have you thought about collaborating on paologerochi's branch of Borsty's original bot? There's a significant amount of code already in place...

https://github.com/paologerochi/NS2Bot
    CoTTon wrote: »

I don't usually use bots - so EXCUSE me.
    You don't usually? Well, I don't either. okay, ... so, you've never played as an alien commander? ever? I don't even have NS2. I've just played this game recently... from my friend.