Thinking of building a new PC this Christmas?

CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
edited December 2011 in Off-Topic
<div class="IPBDescription">Consider waiting if you're on a budget</div>Just a heads up for anyone thinking of buying PC components and on a small budget, it's probably better to wait a few months or to make a smaller set of upgrades until the HDD section of the manufacturing industry has recovered.

The problem being that floods in Thailand have wiped out 30% of the world's hard drive production line. This shortage has pushed HDD prices up for the first time, and by as much as 20-25%. It has also caused a ripple effect that has lead to buyers ordering less parts from other component manufacturers because they won't be able to sell complete systems without an HDD, and/or increasing the cost of the parts they sell to the consumer.

<a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/nov/30/hard-drive-shortage-pc-prices" target="_blank">http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/...rtage-pc-prices</a>
<a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/dec/12/intel-cuts-revenue-forecast-thailand" target="_blank">http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/...recast-thailand</a>

The upside to this may be that SSD prices come down slightly to offer a more competitive alternative, stay tuned if you're after an SSD.

Comments

• BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Thanks for the heads up. I've been planning to get a new PC for some time now and was planning to really look into it after my exams are done next week. Looks like I might have to sit back a short while longer now.
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    I saw a 1TB Hard drive for sale at $220 at the beginning of the month... standard was about half that the month previous. Looks likes stocks ran out.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    Wow the hard drive I got for $80 two months ago is $240 now, really glad I didn't procrastinate on that one.

Another reason to wait, the Nvidia 600 series cards should be coming out Q1 2012.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    ... which should cause prices to drop for the cards you SHOULD buy.
  • ZiGGYZiGGY Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12479Members
    I'm replacing everything except the case, monitor and hdd :p
    but yeah, harddisk prices have been going up for a while now ;/
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    lolfighter speaks the truth! Never and I mean <!--sizeo:7--><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>NEVER</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> buy freshly released hardware, they are overpriced something awful :D
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    So, after Christmas sales will probably drop the SSDs further as well? I've always imagined computer hardware isn't much affected by the sales, unlike clothing.
    edited December 2011
    It's massively affected by sales.

Hardware needs to make x amount of money to justify and pay the bills on the research to get it there.

Especially compared to clothing which costs pennies to make in a slave trade country and can sell for a little or often as much as you want with a logo stamped on it.

You've got the theory round the wrong way svenpa ;)
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    They're both a similar concept, but for different reasons.

Clothing goes on sale not because it's less useful, but because 'we' decide it's no longer desirable.

PC hardware goes on sale because it is actually becoming dated compared to newer, better things that can do more for the same price.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    edited December 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1890810:date=Dec 19 2011, 03:04 AM:name=Crispy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crispy @ Dec 19 2011, 03:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1890810"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They're both a similar concept, but for different reasons.

Clothing goes on sale not because it's less useful, but because 'we' decide it's no longer desirable.

PC hardware goes on sale because it is actually becoming dated compared to newer, better things that can do more for the same price.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So, how is hardware prices particularly affected by after Christmas sales then? Or perhaps you are getting at it isn't? Assuming the time remains constant during the holidays.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    edited December 2011
    I think the only parts in my PC that need upgrading are the motherboard, CPU and RAM, unsure if worth it or if should wait a bit and replace all the things later on?

These parts are about 4½ years old:
    PSU: Corsair CMPSU-520HXEU (520W)
    MOBO: GigaByte GA-P35-DS3R
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
    RAM: 4GB

Recently upgraded:
    GFX: Radeon 5850 1GB
    disks: SSD+2x HDD

Can still play all games but I think I'm noticing hiccups in particularly CPU heavy games, I think BF3 and NS2?
  • DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
    Also hybrid SSD drives are just coming out (at high prices), with a little time you could get a bad ass hybrid SSD/mechanical drive for cheap hopefully soon.
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1890833:date=Dec 19 2011, 08:14 AM:name=Svenpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Svenpa @ Dec 19 2011, 08:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1890833"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So, how is hardware prices particularly affected by after Christmas sales then? Or perhaps you are getting at it isn't? Assuming the time remains constant during the holidays.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Everything is affected by Christmas sales, because people tend to spend a lot more money in November/December/January than any other months of the year.

If it means they can get more of that money, competitors will try to undercut eachother, and this brings everyone down to selling stuff cheaper.

This is unless it's a cutting edge or new product, which tend to get brought out in time for Christmas because they know people are willing to spend more money around that time for something special.
    edited December 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1891524:date=Dec 24 2011, 03:52 PM:name=Crispy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crispy @ Dec 24 2011, 03:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891524"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Everything is affected by Christmas sales, because people tend to spend a lot more money in November/December/January than any other months of the year.

If it means they can get more of that money, competitors will try to undercut eachother, and this brings everyone down to selling stuff cheaper.

This is unless it's a cutting edge or new product, which tend to get brought out in time for Christmas because they know people are willing to spend more money around that time for something special.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

To add to that,
    You go as low to cost price as possible. Cost price being what you need to recoup any value you've pumped in the the product if it is brand new tech. If it's older or starting to age you may well want to go under the price in order to boost sales you may not have otherwise have gotten.

It can be complicated Svenpa. Although Christmas won't see the price of hard drives lower due to the crisis in Thailand.

There's more to commerce than just "sell; sell; sell"

EDIT:

To give you a simple example from a retail pov on the hard drive crisis.,

You know your hard drives will go from costing you $20 to costing you $50 to buy from your supplier. You know you have a backstock of $20. You will look at competitors to price your backstock and shift them, and maybe bump them up slightly because you know once you buy at $50 and add your mark up, less people will buy the hard drives. So you have to gauge how many you can sell at certain prices to ascertain most profit before it starts becoming an expense to you, while making profit. It's equally as dangerous to sell your backstock at the same price as you may lose out to competitors who sell just as much at a higher price, and you could struggle long term with the larger pricing band you have to enforce just to cover yourself because of the crisis.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    <a href="http://downloadmoreram.com/" target="_blank">http://downloadmoreram.com/</a>