Pace of the game - Slow it down

fr0st2kfr0st2k Join Date: 2004-04-26 Member: 28210Members
When i think Marines vs Aliens, I think of a group of marines slowly making headway through a dark hallway while aliens wait for a perfect time to jump out and attack.

As it is now the game is FAR too fast paced.

The core gameplay idea is good enough to make the game work and provide a small sense of "scare." But it could be SO much more.

The game is a hybrid of RTS and FPS, however, right now, it plays more like 90% FPS and 10% RTS, because of the fast paced of running/aiming etc.

The commander should be a vital part of your team, however, as it is now, the commander is an after thought. By slowing down the pace of the game you promote teamwork...requiring players to move to objectives with teammates, etc.

How to slow it down? Aliens should stay rather quick...They should focus on being more solo oriented, whereas Marines should require more teamwork. This gives players a choice and further differentiates each class.

Therefore, Marines need the biggest rework.

Marines:
1.Give Marines a sprint
---Thus, slowdown their normal movement speed.
---make it faster than skulks normal run speed, but half the speed of a skulks leap attack.
---while sprinting, a marine can not fire a gun

2.Increase recoil for marines while strafing
---This gives them less incentive to run around frantically while racking up skills
---Now they can run around to find a better position, then stop and aim because...

3. Decrease recoil while standing still and crouching
---So, now, like CS, crouching significantly increases aim, providing incentive to stand still, but making it more dangerous

4. Reduce Clip Size and increase reload time.
---Makes aiming even more important.
---Makes having teammates more important.

5. Possibly add a *crit* effect for crouching
---a "headshot" if you will. While crouching, receive a % increase to deal double damage depending on weapon type.

What these suggestions do is effectively slow down the marines and imo would greatly improve the entire feel of the game.

Comments

• CorpseyCorpsey Join Date: 2011-07-02 Member: 107538Members
    I thought marines had sprint? (Default Left Shift) at least when I last really played, build 186.
  • fr0st2kfr0st2k Join Date: 2004-04-26 Member: 28210Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1887665:date=Nov 30 2011, 12:09 PM:name=Corpsey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Corpsey @ Nov 30 2011, 12:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887665"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I thought marines had sprint? (Default Left Shift) at least when I last really played, build 186.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ok. then ignore that suggestion.

This overall suggestion is to make the game less hectic and more organized. This is the furthest game you can find from a solo game. Providing good reason for teamwork is necessary.

Differentiating play between marines and aliens is another very important goal.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Well, in a 16 person game, there are only 2 RTS players to 14 FPS players such that 87.5% of the people experiences the game as a FPS. Its not unexpected or unwanted for the game-pace to reflect that fact.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1887693:date=Nov 30 2011, 08:17 PM:name=fr0st2k)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fr0st2k @ Nov 30 2011, 08:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887693"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ok. then ignore that suggestion.

This overall suggestion is to make the game less hectic and more organized. This is the furthest game you can find from a solo game. Providing good reason for teamwork is necessary.

Differentiating play between marines and aliens is another very important goal.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lol, im not sure if i should care even reading this thread, if you dont even know there is sprint for marines....

I think its ingame since the engine test, or shortly after... that was april of 2010 i believe.
  • DarkOmenDarkOmen Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7148Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1887719:date=Nov 30 2011, 06:46 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Nov 30 2011, 06:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887719"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lol, im not sure if i should care even reading this thread, if you dont even know there is sprint for marines....

I think its ingame since the engine test, or shortly after... that was april of 2010 i believe.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    QFT. OP obviously doesn't understand the game well enough to back up their proposal with playing experience.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited November 2011
    Not to be too rude here, but stop making threads until you at least understand what's in the game.

In an earlier thread you suggested ideas for commanders that are already ingame. In your prior thread you didn't even know the aliens had cloak. In this thread you didn't even know marines could sprint.

Notwithstanding the above points, your suggestions don't fit with anything we've seen from the NS (1 or 2). They're not even close to being in the realm of something that should be considered.

Log some more hours in game.