Idea: Gorge feeding the Hive.

PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Gorge dragging bodies to the hive.</div>Basically, what the title says.

I thought it would be funny and maybe a nice touch and also something to do if you get bored as a Gorge.

So as a Gorge you have the ability to grab dead bodies of fallen marines and you can drag it to the hive and place it near the hive (On the infestation).

This will benefit the hive and players by:

-A little extra PRes for team or something.
-Increased hive regeneration until body has been consumed.
-Nice little additions to ward of marines to show that they have the dead. Like a symbol or something.
-It gives the gorges something to do while they are bored.
-It also allows gorges to pull and place bodies in certain areas and if UWE allow skulks to eat bodies for health then they would be able to make an for them to heal at (When the gorge isn't)

Benefits to the game:

-A more natural feel.
-A more savage feel to the aliens.
-It makes the aliens more barbaric.

Please tell me your ideas of this.

Comments

• ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    Gorge is not and shouldn't be a boring lifeform. Doing boring stuff like dragging bodies to the hive would make gorges a boring lifeform. If you feel that Gorge is boring to play go to assist your teammates on the frontlines. That's where Gorges are the most powerful.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

In addition to what Zeikko said, I'm kind of opposed to giving Kharaa too many vampire or zombie-like characteristics. I think it breaks the story-line too much.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2011
    I actually like the idea of skulks getting health from biting dead bodies.
    But that would require the removal of Frenzy, imo.
    Frenzy makes it really hard to be a marine.
    This change(making only skulks able to heal themselves at frontlines with an upgrade), could end up balancing the game a bit more.
    I still feel that Frenzy is too powerful an ability, especially compared to it's cost.
    I vote for more lifeform specific, <i>and</i> trade-off(ns1 style) upgrades.
    This could also make room for the ns1 fade's hive2 ability; metamobilize.
  • CataclyzmCataclyzm Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33031Members
    I like how you always come up with new ideas that hopefully spark something better... but, in this case, I feel this would add a level of gore to the game, which I question whether the developers would want to include.

Disclaimer:
    Yes, I understand that ankle biting skulks is considered violence, but "mutilating" bodies by way of dragging or feasting kicks it up another notch. I would need further clarification on the aim that the developers have when designing the game as it pertains to violence/gore level.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2011
    They already stated that they are not going for a specific rating.
    Just see the latest blood changes in 188.
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited November 2011
    Id prefer as a gorge and or commander to be able to place a free cyst on a dead body, Promoting territory gain for free and it would seem like recycling without a gore factor.

The cyst would take longer to die if unconnected to a chain as it would feed off the body. Creating front lines of infestation to build on that don't die as quickly because they are not connected to cyst chains.

The Cyst would glow while feeding on the body and would darken when it's used all the bodies resourses. and die off like an unconnected cyst.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    edited November 2011
    UWE have stated that they are not against gore.

The original poster stated that this idea would make the kharaa more barbaric. This goes against the ns2 design philosophy.

Each race, the humans and the kharaa(gah, dunno if I'm spelling it right, oh well) are simply trying to survive. The only way they can survive, is if they eradicate the other race.

So consuming the corpses shouldn't be considered an act of barbarism, but an act of survival. Since they are a hive race, it would be more realistic to have the corpses decomposed and spread out to all the aliens. How this translates to gameplay wise is gives the aliens a very small bonus if marine corpses are brought to the hive.

I just thought of an interesting idea: Instead of the gorge physically dragging the dead marine to the hive, what if he implants a parasite into the dead marine, that reanimates him to a state where the dead marine is able to walk himself to the hive. Would make the game a bit creepier, to see a zombified soldier crawling or walking to the enemy hive.

Mind you, the dead marine wouldn't fight, it would simply walk over to the hive, and then lie down again, to be eaten.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    edited November 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1887441:date=Nov 29 2011, 06:24 AM:name=WorthyRival)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WorthyRival @ Nov 29 2011, 06:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887441"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Id prefer as a gorge and or commander to be able to place a free cyst on a dead body, Promoting territory gain for free and it would seem like recycling without a gore factor.

The cyst would take longer to die if unconnected to a chain as it would feed off the body. Creating front lines of infestation to build on that don't die as quickly because they are not connected to cyst chains.

The Cyst would glow while feeding on the body and would darken when it's used all the bodies resourses. and die off like an unconnected cyst.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I knew something good would come out of this thread!

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->+1<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

And speaking of story-line.
    How can you break a story-line if there wasn't one created in the first place?
  • HadesDKHadesDK Join Date: 2008-07-31 Member: 64739Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1887487:date=Nov 29 2011, 04:48 PM:name=Papayas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Papayas @ Nov 29 2011, 04:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887487"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And speaking of story-line.
    How can you break a story-line if there wasn't one created in the first place?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For the love of god, no more lore discussing :p
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited November 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1887390:date=Nov 28 2011, 11:29 PM:name=Zeikko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeikko @ Nov 28 2011, 11:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887390"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gorge is not and shouldn't be a boring lifeform. Doing boring stuff like dragging bodies to the hive would make gorges a boring lifeform. If you feel that Gorge is boring to play go to assist your teammates on the frontlines. That's where Gorges are the most powerful.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was going to post that but then you did it for me.

I don't mind the idea of gorges themselves being able to break down marine bodies into pres for hydras, but dragging them around sounds dull.

<!--quoteo(post=1887442:date=Nov 29 2011, 06:29 AM:name=Ironsoul)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ironsoul @ Nov 29 2011, 06:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887442"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The original poster stated that this idea would make the kharaa more barbaric. This goes against the ns2 design philosophy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    More than marines setting gorges on fire?
  • Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1887441:date=Nov 29 2011, 09:54 AM:name=WorthyRival)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WorthyRival @ Nov 29 2011, 09:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887441"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Id prefer as a gorge and or commander to be able to place a free cyst on a dead body, Promoting territory gain for free and it would seem like recycling without a gore factor.

The Cyst would glow while feeding on the body and would darken when it's used all the bodies resourses. and die off like an unconnected cyst.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Genius.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    Alternatively, you could have Kharaa structures (or just infestation in general?) slowly extrude tentacles to drag the corpse somewhere to be absorbed. It wouldn't even need to be gameplay affecting; it could just be a bit of atmospheric flavour.