Mouse Lag and General Low FPS- Fix #188

ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
Since installing patch 188 I suffered terrible mouselag and general FPS problems. The game felt 'slow', like moving through custard.

I tried disabling atmospherics but that didn't have much of an effect, although it did help.

I then updated my amd gfx drivers to 11.11 and that had a huge effect.

Mouse lag has gone completely, and my FPS during gameplay stays stead, the game now 'feels' snappy.

I have yet to try re-enabling atmospherics, but hopefully this should help others that had the same issues as me.

Comments

• SomaZSomaZ Join Date: 2011-08-09 Member: 115177Members
    Updating to 11.11 had no effect for me. Still very bad/unplayable.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Yeah, not sure what they did with this patch.

Was hoping their focus would be on fixing the bugs in 187, slight balance changes the community made, not the default bmod ones (which do not work), and engine improvements. Additions second, fixes first please. Priorities.
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    Is there any way to work out exactly what my installing new drivers 'fixed'? It completely changed the game for me.
  • snooopssnooops Germany Join Date: 2008-12-08 Member: 65702Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yep, if im ready to spawn (no HUD to see) i got my 60-70fps after spawn (with HUD) i got 36-44fps and if im a lerk and using the posion clouds its at 12fps, interesting :P
  • MagnetoMagneto Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75856Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1886602:date=Nov 24 2011, 05:19 PM:name=snooops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snooops @ Nov 24 2011, 05:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886602"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yep, if im ready to spawn (no HUD to see) i got my 60-70fps after spawn (with HUD) i got 36-44fps and if im a lerk and using the posion clouds its at 12fps, interesting :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah same here, i average about 25 fps walking around as a marine which drops to 20 or less in combat, i can't hit much, when im waiting to spawn i get 45 fps, with aliens i generally get a higher fps so i suspect it's the hud that's causing the drop.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Typing r_gui false in the console will disable the HUD. It would be interesting to see if that helps.
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    edited November 2011
    Hi guys,

Edit: nevermind, something else is giving me FPS drops!

I'd be interested in comparing this with someone with stable FPS.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Build 188 uses invisible occlusion geometry that tells the engine what to render in every area.
    Your screenshots are from a very outdated summit version that doesnt have this occlusion geometry, hence the whole map is rendered.

Have you actually tried the updated Summit or Tram on Build 188?
  • blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    edited November 2011
    Just tested the new patch and the mouse movement is definitely delayed and feels very weird - cannot imagine to aim decently at this time.

VSynch off, no mouse drivers
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    edited November 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1886626:date=Nov 24 2011, 06:31 PM:name=pSyk0mAn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pSyk0mAn @ Nov 24 2011, 06:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886626"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Build 188 uses invisible occlusion geometry that tells the engine what to render in every area.
    Your screenshots are from a very outdated summit version that doesnt have this occlusion geometry, hence the whole map is rendered.

Have you actually tried the updated Summit or Tram on Build 188?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Haha, I didn't even notice I loaded up summit_b1. I was running through it thinking the changes were in the new patch. Doh!

I'll give it a check now.

Edit: Yeah it must be something else causing my FPS drops. I'll give 188 a proper play and see if its improved over last version.
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    For me, the performance is great... anywhere from 70-140 fps... but if I purposely do things to reduce the framerate, like zoom way out in spectate mode, or build a mine and recycle it... then I get HUGE "mouse lag", which suddenly appears at about 25 fps or less and has latency of approx 5 frames.

At 30 fps, latency is not large enough for me to estimate( <50 ms?). At 20 fps, latency is about 250 ms. At 10 fps, latency is about 500 ms.

So, it may not actually be the "mouse lag" latency as we would see from mouse smoothing, but the engine is just hanging and that creates latency between mouse movement and changes on screen. Someone with less than the latest system is going to dip below 25 fps frequently, which destroys the gameplay at those very high latency levels.

When occlusion culling created these framerate drops, I used to experience the same thing ("mouse" latency) on my old computer when looking around when it would drop below 25 fps constantly (every second). Now, from my testing it's the same low fps causing the engine to hang but not related to occlusion culling.

r_gui false saves me about 5 fps, and going into spectate mode saves me about 15. But I don't think they're the problem unless turning them on takes someone over the 25 fps cliff of doom.