Build 188 unofficial hotfixes

SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
edited November 2011 in Modding
hey everyone.

in this thread i will post server side hotfixes for the major bugs. I call them "unofficial" since everything that you don't download through steam simply isn't official or has been approved ;)

<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?03mmdqhy55cmy5h" target="_blank">188_fixes_c</a>

fixes:

- fixed healspray costing less energy when gorge is on low energy
- fixed double weapon purchase bug
- fixed frenzy
- fixed pistol ROF bug
- fixed server crash caused by marine commander
- fixed varius minor script errors which reduced overall server performance
- grenade launcher endless loop fix
- healspray endless loop fix
- powerpoints are now being repaired faster when they are completely destroyed

changes:

- replaced physic model of hydra and sentry with a simple sphere (slightly improves server performance)
- added structure limit to hydra / mini cyst and sentry

you can edit the limitations by:

for hydra open <!--coloro:#FFFACD--><span style="color:#FFFACD"><!--/coloro-->lua/Weapon/alien/HydraAbility.lua<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> and change the variables on top of the file.
same for <!--coloro:#FFFACD--><span style="color:#FFFACD"><!--/coloro-->lua/Weapon/alien/CystAbility.lua<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
and sentry limitations are defined in <!--coloro:#FFFACD--><span style="color:#FFFACD"><!--/coloro-->lua/NS2Utility.lua<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> on top of the file

sidenotes:

- the pistol rate of fire can still seem to be without limitation. thats because i could not synchronize the client and server (since all hotfixes are serverside only) and the client doesn't "know" that there is a limitation

- same for the healspray bug: the client doesn't "know" that you cannot use healspray anymore when you don't have enough energy. that results in the healspray effect and animation being triggered on the client, but is has no actually effect on the server

- the cysts (dropped by the commander) are not affected by the mini cyst limitations

Comments

• A[L]CA[L]C Join Date: 2010-07-25 Member: 72801Members
    Nice one... can I make some requests please :D

- Fix the alien respawn rate. We were waiting for over 40 seconds to spawn even with eggs
    - Fix the power node repair/build rate

They are the main two for me. Although that could be a balance feature :p
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    The power node is the main problem right now, it really breaks the game.

If like me the ambient sounds on summit drives you crazy you can disable them by renaming the files ambient.fsb, ambient_x.fsb in ns2\sound\
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    well, the power point is a balance issue which i will not change, but as a hint: MACs repair a power point way faster than marines can

about the alien spawn: i guess that's a bug. i heared about it already but i don't know whats causing it. if you know any server admins, ask them please to post the server log here. that would help a lot.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1886729:date=Nov 24 2011, 07:05 PM:name=Schimmel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schimmel @ Nov 24 2011, 07:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886729"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->well, the power point is a balance issue which i will not change, but as a hint: MACs repair a power point way faster than marines can

about the alien spawn: i guess that's a bug. i heared about it already but i don't know whats causing it. if you know any server admins, ask them please to post the server log here. that would help a lot.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You're in charge of balancing?
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1886767:date=Nov 25 2011, 03:41 PM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Nov 25 2011, 03:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886767"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're in charge of balancing?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think he meant these hotfixes are for bugs not balance.
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    I think the power node repair issue is the biggest issue in the current build and I'm afraid that it might prevent us from playing the game competetively. It takes like 2 minutes to repair a power node and only 15 seconds to destroy it. Using MACs is not very viable option in team games. Sure we can experiment and try playing as it is now only building power nodes on overly safe places and not even trying to build on the contested areas.

Squeal_Like_A_Pig <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=115490&view=findpost&p=1886712" target="_blank">confirmed here in post #6 </a>that the power node issues is a bug, not a balance issue. If you can't fix it for us can you or somebody give a hint how to change the overall repair rate of the marines or the repair rate the marines repair the powernodes?

Personally i kinda like the way how this power node issue makes you play in a totally different way as marines, but looks like not many other teams are up for the challenge. :(
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    im not in charge of balancing.

you can increase repair by opening ns2/lua/BalanceMisc.lua and editing line 34:
    kMarineRepairHealthPerSecond = 150

seems that there should be written 300 (since in next line we have an unused variable: kMarineWeldRepairHealthPerSecond = 300)
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1886794:date=Nov 25 2011, 11:14 AM:name=Schimmel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schimmel @ Nov 25 2011, 11:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886794"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->im not in charge of balancing.

you can increase repair by opening ns2/lua/BalanceMisc.lua and editing line 34:
    kMarineRepairHealthPerSecond = 150

seems that there should be written 300 (since in next line we have an unused variable: kMarineWeldRepairHealthPerSecond = 300)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That sounds more like a bug than a balance issue, doesn't it? Is the Lua change needed in server side only?
    Thanks Schimmel, both fixes applied.
    yes, that variable is used only server side.

i would need your help with alien respawn (bug?). i think somewhere appears a script error and it would come in very handy to read some server logs.
    How should server crashes/logs be handled, I feel get satisfaction isn't the right place because of the limited amount of people who can actually notice these problems (server owners). I currently have one involving marine commander F4'ing and script errors spamming a server to death. Sorry to derail thread, I'm sure it will come back on topic.
    you can post it here, a link to the file or at <a href="http://pastebin.com/" target="_blank">pastebin.com</a>. actually i don't care. I was hoping we will have later an auto submit (server side) of script errors. that would make finding rare bugs much easier.
    it's pretty frustrating to repair powernodes as a marine. usually you only do it when the power node is destroyed, or when you are turleing in the last base. The best solution in my eyes is to increase repair rate on destroyed power nodes, but keep it the same otherwise (stalemates already happen often enough)

this fix makes repair rate on destroyed power nodes 6 times higher:

ns2/lua/<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?902magdaedh2kem" target="_blank">PowerPoint_Server.lua</a>
    edited November 2011
    i found more bugs and decided to upload the fixes all together in one zip, small list of changes/fixes:

<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?r962ir2t174d01y" target="_blank">188_fixes_a.zip</a>

- fixed server crash caused by marine commander
    - fixed varius minor script errors which reduced overall server performance
    - grenade launcher endless loop fix
    - healspray endless loop fix
    - powerpoints are now being repaired 6 times faster when they are completely destroyed
    - added sentry limit mod: open NS2Utility.lua and modify kSentryBuildRadius and kMaxSentryInArea (default is 8 sentries in radius 20)

For installation overwrite ns2/lua with the lua folder in the zip file, only required server side
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    The slower power node repair time is unintended, at least until possibly later in development when the welder is added. The repair rate should be the same as it was in 187.

--Cory
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1886848:date=Nov 25 2011, 06:41 AM:name=endar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (endar @ Nov 25 2011, 06:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886848"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How should server crashes/logs be handled, I feel get satisfaction isn't the right place because of the limited amount of people who can actually notice these problems (server owners). I currently have one involving marine commander F4'ing and script errors spamming a server to death. Sorry to derail thread, I'm sure it will come back on topic.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You can send info directly to me at max@unknownworlds.com.
    i was testing today a lot with dePara on his server and i could fix a few more bugs and increase server performance a bit:

- replaced physic model of hydra and sentry with a simple sphere
    - added structure limit to hydra / mini cyst and sentry
    - fixed pistol ROF bug

<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?lxp06ti7l3j5me3" target="_blank">build188_hotfix_b</a>

unfortunately i cannot offer more performance updates yet. but changing the physics model and limiting the amount of structures definitely helps to keep your server above a tickrate of 20 (if it's a decent enough server)
    edited November 2011
    another round of fixes:

- fixed healspray costing less energy when gorge is on low energy
    - fixed double weapon purchase bug
    - fixed frenzy

<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?03mmdqhy55cmy5h" target="_blank">188_fixes_c</a>

*updated first post
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2011
    It seems that damage types are broken (Light & Structural are doing Normal damage, I think).

Also, MAC mine explosion range should be larger (than its detonate range). It is almost always dealing half damage or less.
    What are the defaults currently set to for the non-bug related "fixes" such as sentry limits. I want to have bugs fixed and have performance increases, but not at the cost of putting in artificial limits (unless they are imposed across all servers officially).
    the limit are quite high by default:

local kSentryBuildRadius = 20
    local kMaxSentryInArea = 8

local kHydraRadiusLimit = 20
    local kHydraAmountLimit = 5

local kCystRadiusLimit = 10
    local kCystAmountLimit = 2

those numbers prevent only excessive spam
    <!--quoteo(post=1887125:date=Nov 27 2011, 12:50 AM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Nov 27 2011, 12:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887125"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...

Also, MAC mine explosion range should be larger (than its detonate range). It is almost always dealing half damage or less.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i added a flag that prevents damage fall off (especially for mac mines since their damage radius is so low), so mac mines deal always 100% damage, which is quite low
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Good job on all the fixes!
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1887147:date=Nov 27 2011, 01:46 PM:name=endar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (endar @ Nov 27 2011, 01:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887147"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I want to have bugs fixed and have performance increases, but not at the cost of putting in artificial limits (unless they are imposed across all servers officially).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is not for balance primary, it is for keeping the servers playable. And i think, really noone like Hydra- and Turretspam. So its for more fun too.
    Some1 crash HBZ1 by spamming over 50 Hydras. Is that the game you like? Playing with 5 ticks till the server crash?
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1887125:date=Nov 27 2011, 06:50 AM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Nov 27 2011, 06:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887125"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It seems that damage types are broken (Light & Structural are doing Normal damage, I think).

Also, MAC mine explosion range should be larger (than its detonate range). It is almost always dealing half damage or less.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Also, I think it would be cool to make bilebomb the only counter to mines. (and suicidal skulks ofc ^^)
    Right now, lerks can simply spike the mines to death, don't know if that is intended. But it makes mines weak.
    <!--quoteo(post=1887166:date=Nov 28 2011, 02:16 AM:name=dePARA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dePARA @ Nov 28 2011, 02:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887166"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is not for balance primary, it is for keeping the servers playable. And i think, really noone like Hydra- and Turretspam. So its for more fun too.
    Some1 crash HBZ1 by spamming over 50 Hydras. Is that the game you like? Playing with 5 ticks till the server crash?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I suppose it's not exactly balance that I have a problem with, it's more changing the experience depending on which server you play. If everyone plays on servers which have a modded sentry limit, UWE will never hear the complaints and address them, or will do so slower as they are not a very vocal complaint.

Fixing bugs I don't have a problem with because if they are fixed here, they will definitely be fixed next patch and it only stops people re-reporting already solved bugs.
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    What about you speaking of ? The Schimmel's description on forum says ... Group: NS2 Developer

on the other hand ... the Max can focus on other bugs (or performance) and don't need to spend much time on this kind of balance / spam limit issues, which can be changed (and definitely will be) after Onos/Exo+JP reveal.
    Are you implying every one of these changes are going into build 189 ZycaR?

It doesn't matter, I asked a question and Schimmel responded, the default limits are high enough that it is very rare for it to have a negative impact on a game. Thanks for making these available outside of the regular updates schedule.
    <!--quoteo(post=1887310:date=Nov 28 2011, 07:43 AM:name=endar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (endar @ Nov 28 2011, 07:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887310"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you implying every one of these changes are going into build 189 ZycaR?

It doesn't matter, I asked a question and Schimmel responded, the default limits are high enough that it is very rare for it to have a negative impact on a game. Thanks for making these available outside of the regular updates schedule.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

no problem! to your concern about limits could prevent optimizations: this is just a temp fix for now and i already wrote some quite promising code (which i don't release since i want to get proper testing first) that should allow smooth gameplay without having any structure limits. i don't want to raise any expectations yet, but i will let you know about the results once the testing is done.

most bugs from 188 are actually fixed now (also the client side ones which i could find at least), also the power points problem. remaining are now only a few script errors which don't have a huge impact, and the command station blocking (which should be easy to track down).
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    I love the new hydra hitboxes you made, now the shotgun is actually able to kill them :P