More Uses For Power Nodes

HybridclawHybridclaw Join Date: 2003-11-03 Member: 22271Members
Disclaimer: whenever I run a search I get an error message, so if this has been mentioned before, oops.

Currently, the role of power nodes seems a bit limited. All they do is power lights and marine structures. To fix this, mappers need the ability to have complete control over what power nodes do.

A short rambling of possibilities:

For instance a loss of a power node could cause doors to stop from opening. It could cause water pumps to stop functioning causing rooms to flood. Hallways could collapse preventing anyone from entering (similar to how vents could be welded shut in NS1). Oxygen supply to a room could be cut off choking out marines while causing umbra and spores to linger longer. Artificial gravity could be turned off. The fire extinguishing system could be cut off causing flamethrowers and grenades to start larger fires. Cooling systems could break down causing overheating and explosions. Etcetera.

Comments

• KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Actually, it has been mentioned before, by me! ;)
    Your ideas are great btw, I'm hoping we'll see some low grav rooms (Which I think would benefit marines more so than aliens!).
  • SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    all i can say is how cool that would be
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    As far as I can tell, this is already planned for the future.
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Build 188 Changelog)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Build 188 Changelog)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Some animated props will now respond to power going down or up<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    According to the changelog this feature was added to some of the props in the last build.
    I don't think it has any change to gameplay yet, but maybe soon!
  • CataclyzmCataclyzm Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33031Members
    :D
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=103097" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index....howtopic=103097</a>

;)
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Power nodes looks like triggers for cool cinematic in the map, as such they shouldn't be mandatory and should be under the control of the mapper.

I don't want powernodes in my map ? Ok, no powernodes (power is on everywhere).
    Powernode in crevice looks bad ? Ok no power in crevice (power always on in crevice).
    etc.

You could do general entites, that the mapper can choose to be toggable, destroyable, buildable, etc. and generate events that can be linked to nearby animations, lights, sounds.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited November 2011
    Being able to script effects into power nodes would be a very good idea.

Although as stated above it should be part of a general set of map scripting systems.