ARC spam.

PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Played 1 round and I got fed up very soon.</div>Ok, I got my new graphics today so I wanted to play some NS2 to see how it was getting along because I have not played it for a while now.

I went alien and as soon as they got ARCs I noticed 1 thing that was really really really getting on my nerves.

It was the 500 ARCs that came to us every 3 minutes. It got so god damn annoying. We would manage to kill the marines; easy.
but the amount of ARCs that were there we couldn't destroy them all and before we could kill the last one our hive was already dead...

Pretty bad considering that I play for 1 round and it is the only thing that I notice.

So, Please UWE make a limit to the ARCs... Maximum of 3...

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I've noticed this too lately, but its simply a symptom of the fact that aliens have little to no ability of breaking up marine turtles. As such, current matches last in the 2-3 hour range allowing a marine team that has locked down at least 2 RTs sufficient ability to repeatedly build 10+ ARC rushes. The solution isn't to cap ARCs, but to give aliens a seige-breaking class/attack.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    edited November 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1885996:date=Nov 21 2011, 09:34 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Nov 21 2011, 09:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1885996"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've noticed this too lately, but its simply a symptom of the fact that aliens have little to no ability of breaking up marine turtles. As such, current matches last in the 2-3 hour range allowing a marine team that has locked down at least 2 RTs sufficient ability to repeatedly build 10+ ARC rushes. The solution isn't to cap ARCs, but to give aliens a seige-breaking class/attack.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I just thought of this; the gorge has his bile bomb. Even though it is useless against turtling it might be effective against ARC rushes...

However, the gorge is such a boring class to be now that even if people HAVE to go Gorge they would prefer to go Fade...

Making the gorge have quite a bit of health would maybe make people choose it.
    They should make him so that even though he is crap at fighting/killing he should have enough health to effectively get away.

Edit: Onos will be out in 188 but what is the counter to the Onos going to be and is that counter going to prevent it from breaking the shell of marine turtles...
  • 1stToast1stToast Join Date: 2007-12-02 Member: 63067Members
    I was in game as a fade and a stack of ARCs came moving toward the hive. I didn’t know how many there were. I must have killed eight or ten before they were gone. The hive was down to about 10%. If spamming is going to be allowed, at least don’t allow stacking. If they were all in a line I could have killed all of them just by standing in one place.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    edited November 2011
    I guess it also a consequence of introducing NPC's into the game (cf. <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=115430" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...owtopic=115430</a>) while the marine are fighting the comm can stack up NPC's and do annoying stuff with them. ARC train are funny but yeah.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There is noting wrong. You just didn't use Bilebomb and that is it. Bilebomb clears even 1000 stacked ARCs in 6 seconds alone.
    And also if the Marines can build 10 ARC (200Res) aliens did something really really really wrong IMO. That would almost be the same if the aliens would have 3 onos.

That ain't a gamplay problem, beside the stacking, it is more a lack on gorges and too many fades.

The stacking problem will be fixed in 188 (or play on HBZ) and maybe we will see the onos also.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1886015:date=Nov 21 2011, 02:29 PM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Nov 21 2011, 02:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886015"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I guess it also a consequence of introducing NPC's into the game (cf. <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=115430" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...owtopic=115430</a>) while the marine are fighting the comm can stack up NPC's and do annoying stuff with them. ARC train are funny but yeah.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not really. Right now you can spam a lot of non-NPC game elements (GLs, fades, crags, hydras, sentries, etc) that lead to similar game-breaking issues. In general, I think of lot of these problems are related to two core game problems
    1. Lack of effective alien siege weapons/classes
    2. Unbalanced economy and cost structure between the two sides (i.e. aliens have more res then things they can spend it on and marines have too few)
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited November 2011
    Arcs are quite expensive... I don't see how marines can possibly afford to do anything approaching spam them.

I mean, I can be holding half the map, and I'd struggle to keep three arcs with a marine push, they're very easy to isolate and destroy, and very hard to keep healed.

Unless the servers were messing with the res rate, what you're describing really shouldn't be possible.
  • HybridclawHybridclaw Join Date: 2003-11-03 Member: 22271Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1886032:date=Nov 21 2011, 08:41 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Nov 21 2011, 08:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886032"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Arcs are quite expensive... I don't see how marines can possibly afford to do anything approaching spam them.

I mean, I can be holding half the map, and I'd struggle to keep three arcs with a marine push, they're very easy to isolate and destroy, and very hard to keep healed.

Unless the servers were messing with the res rate, what you're describing really shouldn't be possible.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I have seen this happen once when the marines managed to turret spam themselves into marines start and data core giving them access to several resource towers.
    That's three exits at best, maybe four if they don't hold that weird circular room just southwest of data core, how do you manage to turret farm three exits? I can barely manage two, hell I can't manage two, I can manage one and hope the aliens don't use the other one, and I'm still spending all my money on turrets.

Aliens must have been really bad that game.
    edited November 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1886032:date=Nov 21 2011, 03:41 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Nov 21 2011, 03:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886032"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Arcs are quite expensive... I don't see how marines can possibly afford to do anything approaching spam them.

Unless the servers were messing with the res rate, what you're describing really shouldn't be possible.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Because the matches just last that long. For example, with 2 RTs getting 1 TRes every 12s, you have enough to build one ARC (20 TRes) every two minutes, meaning 10 ARCs in 20 min of gameplay, faster (or more ARCs) if more than 2 RTs. If the match lasts 2+ hours (not uncommon) its fairly trivial to build up a large ARC train that you can suicide into killing a hive.

Of course, this happens because marines can build more or less impenetrable mini-bases consisting of a few sentries, a PG, an armory, and a powerpack in each room. The current bilebomb/skulk bite can be useful against killing these mini-bases as long as there is no marines around, which is rare in an actual match. In effect, the aliens need an anti-structure class/attack comparable to the dps of the grenade launcher (which is effective at killing even the most entrenched locations).

<!--quoteo(post=1886042:date=Nov 21 2011, 04:06 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Nov 21 2011, 04:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886042"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's three exits at best, maybe four if they don't hold that weird circular room just southwest of data core, how do you manage to turret farm three exits? I can barely manage two, hell I can't manage two, I can manage one and hope the aliens don't use the other one, and I'm still spending all my money on turrets.

Aliens must have been really bad that game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You don't have to sentry up every possible entrance/part of the room for this to be effective. All you have to do is cover the major room assets, which in practice usually means the res and power node. I find that I can do this pretty effectively with 2-3 sentries and, if I build a powerpack, can ignore the power node and cluster everything around the res node. Also, note that you don't need the sentries to stop the alien attack (although it is nice), but to delay the aliens long enough such that a marine can phase to the location. 3 sentries placed in the proper locations buys more than enough time for marine reinforcements to arrive in most cases.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    turtle/sentry > zero teamplay
    teamplay > sentry/turtle
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    edited November 2011
    A couple gorges and fades that know what they are doing will take out an arc stack.

Bilebomb is area of effect.
    I've never been able to do anything but forestall losing with sentries, you can hold out for a while yes but it's a definite losing battle, you slowly lose the ability to replace buildings or expand, or reclaim lost ground, and eventually you lose too much and everything collapses.

I just can't imagine anyone winning with that strategy.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1886062:date=Nov 21 2011, 08:36 PM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Nov 21 2011, 08:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886062"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A couple gorges and fades that know what they are doing will take out an arc stack.

Bilebomb is area of effect.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

basically that..

takes the same amount of time to kill 1 arc, and 20 arcs stacked on top of each other
    bilebomb also clears any macs trying to repair it
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    People don't seem to be understanding just how powerful Gorge Bile bomb is. Its an area of effect, so no matter how many ARCs there are, whether it is 1 or 9001, it will still take the same number of hits. Its actually better that people stack their ARCs since then its assuring a determined Gorge can stop any ARC train it its path. Maybe its just that not enough people are willing to go gorge, or are willing to help out the existing gorges, or aren't at the right place to defend their hives. Static defenses and Arcs are so vulnerable without marines around its a pity, a MAC train will die in 3 or so bilebombs, no matter how many MACs there are, so even if you see a ARC train accompanied by a MAC train, as long as all the marines have been wiped up, and you have reasonable notice (you engage them while they are moving through Flight Control while they are heading to Heliport) then its just a wasted sum of res for the marine team.
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    As has already been pointed out, Bilebomb is the counter to mass Arcs. On top of that AI units stacking is a benefit to aliens, ARCs/MACs all stacked up die MUCH faster to bilebomb. One gorge can wipe out hundreds of marine resources in seconds.
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    This and MAC stacking (i always leave when i see mac stacking). People just dont see they are being stupidly noob for exploiting a bug to win.
    <!--quoteo(post=1886132:date=Nov 22 2011, 01:08 AM:name=ogz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ogz @ Nov 22 2011, 01:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886132"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->basically that..

takes the same amount of time to kill 1 arc, and 20 arcs stacked on top of each other
    bilebomb also clears any macs trying to repair it<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I dislike this argument in the same way people argue that you can kill fades easily with a flamethrower/shotgun combo, it just doesn't happen that often in practice.

Sure, a good gorge can quickly bilebomb an ARC to death just as a good shotgun/flamethrower teamwork can devastate a fade. However, if you have players who are good enough to do both, then its unlikely you'll ever have to do that because you'd never let the other team get enough TRes for an ARC spam or a 2nd hive.

Instead, what is needed is either to solve the underlying problem (i.e. marine turtling) or a more viable alternative for average players (i.e. increase bite damage against ARCs). I'd prefer the former, but the latter can be a quick and easy fix until the actual problem is solved.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    edited November 2011
    bile bomb, increase its area effect and damage against buildings and this problem will be solved. But i still do not like current ARC, I still prefer if marines had the old sieges.

And they still did not fix mac stacking, that is pretty shocking imo.

MACS need to be limited to certain number, and if one MAC is building/repairing other MACS should NOT help increase the speed of the task. And i still say MACS need to be removed, players should be doing everything on their own, it will only promote better relationship between marine and commander while define better class roles within each group. (for example group A does task X while group B does task Y)

to sum up, bile bomb is VERY weak currently, while the gorge class a very boring limited class. And MAC stacking still isn't fixed.
    <!--quoteo(post=1886185:date=Nov 22 2011, 12:57 PM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Nov 22 2011, 12:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886185"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And they still did not fix mac stacking, that is pretty shocking imo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    To be fair, they did fix MAC stacking, but it caused other problems (such as MACs stopping when they ran into any other entity), so they redid much of the NPC pathing, which brought the problem back.
  • {GGs} Chicken{GGs} Chicken Join Date: 2011-11-22 Member: 134663Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited November 2011
    ARC/Mac/Sentry spam and marines turtling in base is insanely easy to deal with, but 90% of alien teams do not cooperate enough to do it. For macs/sentries/arcs you just need someone who will bile bomb and a fade to distract/kill marines while he does. And don't even get me started on the comms that keep the arcs pushing even after the rines die. Hundreds of res gone in seconds, espically if a gorge is there. For marine turtling you need 2-3 of the fades and the rest gorges, but as I said it almost never happens. Even when each alien has hundreds of res when marines turtle, I still see a lot of skulks. Everytime I've been on aliens with marines turtling and we've planned a coordinated bile/fade attack, it's worked so fast it's a joke. Only takes a few minutes to end it, but since it almost never happens, what usually happens is a standstill until marines all start to rage quit and then aliens finally win.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    I know that the gorge has his bile bomb but the fact remains that the gorge class is so boring and horrible that no one wants to play it...

If they improve the gorge then it might help to slightly fix the problem of marine turtling but for now people want to kill and as gorge they don't achieve it.

I want to say something else as well. It is about how fast the marines get to tier up.
    10 minutes into the game and marines have everything from shotguns to flame-throwers.

If you don't have a second hive then you will be wiped out by the flamers.. enough said...
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1886248:date=Nov 23 2011, 10:09 AM:name=Papayas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Papayas @ Nov 23 2011, 10:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886248"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you don't have a second hive then you will be wiped out by the flamers.. enough said...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Wiped by the flamers? :D Are you serious?
    Flamer is the worst weapon in the game and can hardly be used to wipe an unupgraded skulk. Even if you group Flamer with bunch of marines with other weaponry and put them against a fade the fade will most likely win.
  • Ender_74Ender_74 Join Date: 2011-01-28 Member: 79329Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1886252:date=Nov 23 2011, 08:37 AM:name=Zeikko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeikko @ Nov 23 2011, 08:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886252"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Even if you group Flamer with bunch of marines with other weaponry and put them against a fade the fade will most likely win.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    (pssst he meant if marines get flamers before you could get a seconde hive, so you wouldn't have fades)

Anyway I do agree, I don't think flamers are a big issue for aliens, they cost a lot and are not that effective. I would be much more scared of a squad of GLs. Against them hydras are useless and skulks get instant-killed.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For marine turtling you need 2-3 of the fades and the rest gorges, but as I said it almost never happens.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1 Stop saying the gorge is useless, start playing it and you will see that he is the solution to stalemates.
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1886257:date=Nov 23 2011, 11:52 AM:name=Ender_74)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ender_74 @ Nov 23 2011, 11:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886257"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->(pssst he meant if marines get flamers before you could get a seconde hive, so you wouldn't have fades)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah i just wanted to take the best scenario possible for using a flamer and note that it is still pretty useless.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    if they changed or removed alien commander, the gorge will find his place within the ranks of the aliens again. But currently this class is so limited all you really do is spam hydras.

the way the gorge spreads infestation needs to change as well. Currently the gorge has to spend his res to spread infestation which is silly. Infestation spread should be more natural and easy to spread. cysts need to cost energy, not personal res making it easy for the spread of infestation. Not only will it help the gorge be busy spreading infestation but since its so easy killing cysts, replacing them should be easy as well.

some basic ideas to the gorges;

1. enhance bile bomb, increase its area effect and damage against buildings
    2. Allow cysts to cost energy only
    3. remove being rooted in-place while building
    4. let the gorge drop res towers and other chambers

the only thing stands in the way of expanding gorge class is the broken idea of the alien commander. Either limit alien commanders to expand the gorge or remove the commander role.