Just thought I would leave a quick note to say...

SkiddywinksSkiddywinks Join Date: 2011-01-12 Member: 77239Members
This game is awesome. I preordered a good while ago now, and was actual quite active in the community for a couple of months afterwards. To be entirely honest, my interest kind of waned after a while, and with so many new games coming out almost all the time, I just never had the time to keep up with NS2. I still kept up to date with news etc thanks to fb and the occasional NS2HD video, but I was largely over the game until something significant happened.

So I am sat here the other night, bored, internet is hardly working, BF3 was a laggy mess, and I figured I would load up NS2 and see if there were any decent differences since I last played (which was God knows when). Even with the internet not working, I could at least join an empty server and play around. I loaded up the game and saw there was one lone game on the go, with room to spare. I figured why not, and went for it anyway, expecting nothing but rubber banding etc (as I would experience in BF3 as well).

Well. Not only was there essentially no lag, but the game was actually running significantly smoother than it ever has before. I can honestly say the difference was night and day. I have changed nothing on the PC since I last tried it, so have no reservations saying the entire improvement was down to you guys at UWE. I haven't had so much fun playing NS2, period. In fact, with it running a lot smoother I can now see more significantly some issues others were having (like difficulty in shooting Skulks due to animations etc) that I couldn't appreciate quite so much in the past. To be sure, NS2 was never unplayable on my rig, but it was definitely rough around the corners and sometimes a chore to play. All that has changed.

So I just thought I would leave a note telling you this: Ignore any whiney, self absorbed (non-constructive) posts ###### about the game, the development schedule or anything else. The game really is coming along, and I couldn't tell to what degree until I stopped playing for a while. I am even more excited now than I ever have been about the prospect of a Natural Selection 2 v1. Seriously, the money preordering was well spent, and you guys need to keep the faith (not that I would imagine you are losing it or anything). This game is going to be disgusting. And I mean that in a good way!

I am sure this is all old, old news, and you are working on it already, but somethings that I really think would help spread the word and keep NS2 in the spotlight would be some more actual content to keep things fresh. And I don't know how you would do anything about this (at least not directly), but you seriously need more people playing. The fact there are only ever so few people playing has me a little worried.

Best wishes to you all!

Comments

• QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    While there has certainly been some improvements in performance, the server itself is the largest part of the performance equation. There are now more powerful servers hosting NS2, which means rubber banding is less common. If you try to connect to some servers, you will still find rubber banding (like ArmoryChamber...I don't see why that server gets populated as the lag is terrible). Expect things to get even better with the next patch.
  • SkiddywinksSkiddywinks Join Date: 2011-01-12 Member: 77239Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1884169:date=Nov 7 2011, 11:03 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Nov 7 2011, 11:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884169"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While there has certainly been some improvements in performance, the server itself is the largest part of the performance equation. There are now more powerful servers hosting NS2, which means rubber banding is less common. If you try to connect to some servers, you will still find rubber banding (like ArmoryChamber...I don't see why that server gets populated as the lag is terrible). Expect things to get even better with the next patch.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sorry, should have mentioned that this is with the same tick rate as I always get. Didn't think to even look at frames, but I usually get the same tick rate and it has never felt this smooth. This requires more testing...
  • fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    As a PT I ran around a version of the game with AA and atmospherics and great performance and wow... we're at a good place. Hopefully more of the pieces start to fall together, and more attention can be payed to the superflous stuff like graphics filters and the like. Then we've got something amazing.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    ATMOSPHERICS!!! Everyone get him! We must steal his computer and use those awesome ne... ARGEAGWSOFKA:WGAKSEG
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1884172:date=Nov 8 2011, 10:36 AM:name=fmpone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fmpone @ Nov 8 2011, 10:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884172"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As a PT I ran around a version of the game with AA and atmospherics and great performance and wow... we're at a good place. Hopefully more of the pieces start to fall together, and more attention can be payed to the superflous stuff like graphics filters and the like. Then we've got something amazing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you tease!!! ><
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1884169:date=Nov 8 2011, 12:03 AM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Nov 8 2011, 12:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884169"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While there has certainly been some improvements in performance, the server itself is the largest part of the performance equation. There are now more powerful servers hosting NS2, which means rubber banding is less common. If you try to connect to some servers, you will still find rubber banding (like ArmoryChamber...I don't see why that server gets populated as the lag is terrible). Expect things to get even better with the next patch.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

These laggy servers should be closed until the performance get better, it's a shame that new players connect and get the most horrible lag while there is some decent servers around. A tick rate indicator on the server browser would do it as well.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Why thank you, SkiddyWinks. I can assure you that we all LOVE reading posts like yours. We are pretty good at staying positive, but this always makes us feel good and assures us that we're on the right track.

We have lots more coming. Even after v1.0, there will be tons more. So if you believe in how we developed NS1 and how we've improved the NS2 alpha and beta, you can trust that we're just getting started.
  • SkiddywinksSkiddywinks Join Date: 2011-01-12 Member: 77239Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1884328:date=Nov 8 2011, 11:03 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Nov 8 2011, 11:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884328"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why thank you, SkiddyWinks. I can assure you that we all LOVE reading posts like yours. We are pretty good at staying positive, but this always makes us feel good and assures us that we're on the right track.

We have lots more coming. Even after v1.0, there will be tons more. So if you believe in how we developed NS1 and how we've improved the NS2 alpha and beta, you can trust that we're just getting started.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Never followed NS1 too closely to be honest. Played the crap out of it long after it's v1 zero day, but didn't know anything about it whilst in development.

Having said that, based on what I read and see in videos, you guys have a solid direction and ideology, and I can only wait and see what happens in the future.