Shopping For New Monitor...

CataclyzmCataclyzm Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33031Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Maybe</div>I'm a bit confused and wanted to see who could shed some light on this issue.
I'm looking for a new monitor. I'm a sucker for that smooth-as-butter look that the 120Hz/Blu-Ray Playback boasts. In my searches I came across this one <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236092" target="_blank">on NewEgg.</a> As I was scrolling through the specifications I came across the following section:

Vertical Refresh Rate
Analog: 50 - 122 Hz
Digital: 50 - 85 Hz

A differentiation between analog and digital... okay, I can accept that. But, what does that mean for my buttery needs? Does that mean I need to stick with Component? Or does the Vertical Refresh rate not really play into digital... or into the entire equation that makes up the 120Hz claimed refresh. OR, is it marketing gimmicks?
So I tried a search. As I was digging to understand what was going on here, I ran across some threads stating "LCDs Don't HAVE REFRESH!!!!!" and then others clarifying that there is still a measurable frequency that the monitor pulls frames from the graphics card.

Well... I don't know. Can anyone answer any of these questions? Bacon?

Comments

• juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    That's one of the real deal 120hz monitors. Great choice.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    LCD screens still have refresh rates, though not in the same way CRT screens do. If your LCD screen updates slower than your frames per second, higher frames per second won't yield any visible results. If you don't have vsync active, visual tearing can occur.

The "LCDs don't have refresh" thing probably refers to the lack of image fade, i.e. flicker. As you probably know, a CRT screen works by using an electron beam to energize a fluorescent layer which then gives off this energy in the form of visible light. Since the ray progressively scans across the screen, only a single pixel receives energy at a time. The rest stay glowing by virtue of what energy remains in them. If the rate at which the picture updates is too low, the pixels will fade visibly before the beam gets around to them again, resulting in a flickering image. Most people can perceive flicker at up to 60hz with a steady, bright image. Moving images make flicker hard to see, as do dark images (since the pixels are darker to begin with and a brighter pixel fades faster than a dark pixel). I myself saw no flicker at 85hz, other people have claimed to need up to 100hz to perceive a non-flickering image.

LCD screens don't suffer from this issue. They consist of a backlit field (several layers, in case of a colour display) of variable opacity. Since each pixel is individually powered, they do not need to be periodically refreshed to prevent fading, and therefore the display does not flicker. They still have a refresh rate, as it takes time for the screen to fully update to a new image.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    I've got the Samsung 2233. Although it does 120Hz, as most games are console ports (and locked at 30fps on console) there's a hideous input delay when turning vsync on.
    Really? The only game where I've ever noticed input lag with vsync on was Dead Space. Do you have some examples? Maybe we just play different games.
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1882701:date=Oct 30 2011, 12:32 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Oct 30 2011, 12:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1882701"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Really? The only game where I've ever noticed input lag with vsync on was Dead Space. Do you have some examples? Maybe we just play different games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Source engine (TF2)

The only engine I haven't noticed it in (for 1st person shooters) is GoldSrc (NS1). Come to think of it, the Modern Warfare engine might be ok, too.
  • CataclyzmCataclyzm Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33031Members
    edited October 2011
    There was a great article/post <a href="http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=928593" target="_blank">here</a> that explained VSync.

With that being said. How does refresh relate to getting that smooth-as-butter look as far as this device is concerned? This is the first time where I've seen a differentiation in refresh rate between Digital and Analog. If I want that smooth look on my blu-ray playback, does that mean I would have to use analog (component)?

Taking a look on <a href="http://www.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/VG236HE/#specifications" target="_blank">ASUS'</a> page they refer to it as "Signal Frequency". I'm sorry, but I have paranoia against marketing terms and catch phrases... because there is plenty of misdirection, misconception, and misuse of terminology in marketing. Does this "Signal Frequency" really mean refresh rate?

I don't know... I don't want to drop money on a piece of equipment without knowing full well what they mean in their terms since I haven't seen these devices demoed in retail establishments.
    The techno stuff is way out of my league, all I can tell you from experience is:

CRT is king;

120Hz TFT lies between CRT and;

Generic 60Hz TFT

In terms of a smooth experience in a fast-paced game. There's absoultely no ghosting on my 120Hz but it's not as good as a CRT.
    My main gripe with LCDs is that dead pixels are not cause for warranty claims (###### bull###### that is) and that all resolutions except the native one are blurry. But I do like the flicker-free image.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    Whatever you do, don't buy a 30" 2560x1600, because it will spoil you forever.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    I have one 24" and one 19" monitor, still sometimes it feels like it is not enough.
  • DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1882773:date=Oct 30 2011, 08:45 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Oct 30 2011, 08:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1882773"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Whatever you do, don't buy a 30" 2560x1600, because it will spoil you forever.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I used to have a 27" monitor, now I use a gaming laptop.

I hate life.
  • ZiGGYZiGGY Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12479Members
    my monitor doesnt have dead pixels, just massive distracting stains that im far too lazy to remove :P

a friend of mine who plays way-too-much-l4d-with-his-gf was telling me theres a lot of motion lag in the fancy processing ###### that goes in (sort of like a clunky more-linear mouse accel feeling), but vsync who the ###### uses that :P
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    get the biggest CRT you can find

BOOM
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    CRT's are just too big. I'm also surprised if anyone still makes them.
  • DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
    edited November 2011
    CRT = Eww. Only good if you do photo editing, since the colors are more correct.
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    edited November 2011
    <a href="http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/" target="_blank">http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/</a> is a very good resource for research on your next monitor purchase.

[Edit] If you really care about colours you don't need a CRT, but it may be more economical to buy one.