Railings on Summit

KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
I'm sure this has been brought up before, but are we going to get new railings on summit that have proper collision boxes so rines can shoot through them properly?
Also, so skulks can interact with them properly like other map structures?

Comments

• pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Do all railings have these issues?

The props have correct physics, but only the railings in alien start have collision geometry for better skulk movement. Do the railings in alien start block bullets/ do skulks interact with them properly?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Just and FYI there, CollisionGeometry stops bullets and particle weapons. Hence I posted a while back we need more types of "clipbrushing"
  • fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1875062:date=Sep 16 2011, 05:15 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Sep 16 2011, 05:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1875062"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just and FYI there, CollisionGeometry stops bullets and particle weapons. Hence I posted a while back we need more types of "clipbrushing"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're half right. What we also need is the ability to disable collisions on models so that the clip-brushes will supercede the model's natural collision settings.
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    How is he half-right? He's fully right. You add collision geometry and it DOES stop bullets.
    edited September 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1875088:date=Sep 16 2011, 07:43 PM:name=konata)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (konata @ Sep 16 2011, 07:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1875088"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How is he half-right? He's fully right. You add collision geometry and it DOES stop bullets.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nope. He's half right, and I explained why. This thread is called "Railings on Summit" -- say the hit-boxes and/or collision-boxes are too big on a rail model. You add fine-tuned brush versions of hit-brushes or colllision-brushes. Okay, but then the existing hit-box and collision-box for the rail is still there, meaning that it's more likely your bullets will hit those than the smaller, more detailed ones you created with brushes. This sort of thing happened in source all the time, and thus there was a setting called "disable physics" for props. That settings made models basically holograms with no physics or collisions, and then you'd use a "stop bullets" or a "nodraw" texture on a brush in order to stop bullets or players.

I.e. between disable physics and collision brushes, when the discussion is about props and prop collision issues, you'll need both to get the desired effect.
    So for Max if he'll ever read this:

-texture alignment tool
    -disable physics option on props
    -stop bullets and/or collision brushes

and I'll go ahead and add this:

-drawsight distance settings for entities like resource points. (the default ones are too short in distance)
  • AlchemdaAlchemda Join Date: 2004-02-01 Member: 25942Members
    That IS something interesting, trying to shoot skulks as a rine in ventilation is such a pain, it seems to hit the railing even though i'm shooting through the spaces in the railing. Same thing with the rail near resource node at rine spawn facing vent the raised railing.

It could just be my bad aim hah.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Was hoping if there were any updates towards this issue?
    Also of note is that skulks often cannot climb these railings, which is obviously a detriment to gameplay.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2011
    I would love if uwe added something, so you can shoot trough some objects like railings, cables or maybe even thin metal(like the bottom of the extended vent from heli to flight control) - counterstrike style.

I cant count how many times i wasted magazines shooting at invisible collision...
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Yeah, those are probably CollisionGeometry faces. Which block any projectile weaponry. We require more "cliptypes", but hey I'm repeating myself here :P
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Indeed, for example the wire/pipes near the upper vent in reactor is basically a massive invisible shield preventing players from shooting aliens up there.