Help with streaming

VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
I've been streaming for a little while now but I'm not getting many if at all viewers, how can I get more people to watch? Is it the games I'm playing or the quality :\ Any tips would be greatly appreciated
Here is a list of games I intend on streaming I'm currently doing Dragon age 1

-Fallout 3+exp,new vegas +exp
-Dragon age 1 and 2
-Assassins Creed 1,2,3
-Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
-Bioshock 1,2
-GTA 3,VC,SA,4
-Half Life 2 (started)
-Wolfenstein
-Farcry 1/2
-Worms Reloaded
-Batman arkham city
-Batman arkham asylum
-Elders scrolls skyrim
-Swat 4+exp
-Rainbow 6 Vegas 1/2
-Mafia 1/2

Having troubles with Fallout 1,2,Tactics and Grim Fandango when and if I can get them to work properly I'll be streaming those

Comments

• SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    edited September 2011
    The most successful video game streamers that I'm aware of are popular because they are consistent and reliable in what they provide. Streaming isn't quite like youtube lets plays, where variety is a really good thing. Because people are jumping in and out of your channel so much, your best bet is to be known for providing some sort of content better than the other streamers out there providing similar content. So stream some specific game or series exclusively, figure out who you're competing with, and do it a few more hours a week than your competitors, be a little more funny, provide a little more of an interesting take on what you're doing.

Also, another thing is, unlike youtube video series, it's harder to generate interesting for a game you're streaming unless there is already buzz out there. It's REALLY hard to get big as a streamer running play throughs of zelda games for example, unless you're a speedrunner practicing runs (in which case your niche is your skill, as opposed to the game). The best way to be successful streaming video games right now, is to be a professional Starcraft 2 player streaming practice sessions. What I'm saying is, generally the easiest way to be successful streaming is to play a non liniar story game, and play it in a way that makes it interesting to watch (skillfully, more creatively than usual, being really really funny, something unique to the play experience of most people). Minecraft streams are popular, LoL streams are popular, StarCraft streams are popular, Diablo 3 beta streams are popular, most MMO streams are popular(ish). Because of the nature of streams, people will be jumping into your stream half way through, so it's less interesting to watch a stream of a story heavy game, as you have already missed half the story, and it's much harder to rewind, or skip parts you don't like, when compared to watching a youtube video series. Games that are competitive have higher representation in streaming because they are some of the most natural non-linear games to play. The goal is to play the same thing better than you did before, as opposed to a liniar game, where the goal is to play through the story (but, like minecraft, there are exceptions to the competitive game rule). Another exception is if you get access to a game that for whatever reason I can't play yet, but I'm excited about. You're a betatester or something. People will tune in to watch someone play a prerelease game, even if it's normally not the type of game that would be great to stream.

Looking at the list of games you have there, I'd say, your biggest problem right now is the games you're playing. Those games would all make good youtube 'lets play' videos, but are not the kind of games that are fun to jump into viewing half way through a playthrough. Worms reloaded is the exception. If you can play worms reloaded really well, and you're streaming that, it might generate interest.

I think the real question you need to ask yourself is, why do you really even want to stream? The reality is, if you really want to be serious about providing entertainment for others over the internet, you'll probably have to get kind of serious about doing it in a professional way (that is, you need to find some way to sell what you are doing, and put time in effort into developing that entertainment selling point). Otherwise, don't beat yourself up that you don't have many viewers, because the people who have many viewers, it's because they are working hard to do what they are doing, and providing the content they are providing.

Honestly, after all the Paris Hilton and Kim Karderpian news that has been bombarding us recently, I kinda believe it's easier to become a TV star than it is an internet star. No one will pay you to be legitimately retarded on the internet. Internet people are bombarded enough with that already. You have to have some skill to sell, weather it's being uniquely mind blowingly talented at some video game, being a generally hilarious person and having great comedic insight, or being an absurdly talented musician for some niche musical style. Being e-famous isn't as easy as you would think.
  • TykjenTykjen Join Date: 2003-01-21 Member: 12552Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    wtf is the world coming to..
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    Thank you for the in depth reply Swiftspear, your reply though Tykjen needs some more thought behind it
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1874315:date=Sep 12 2011, 10:40 AM:name=Tykjen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tykjen @ Sep 12 2011, 10:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874315"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->wtf is the world coming to..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

People watching people!

Best of luck Volcano!