Mumble NS2 Positional Audio Plugin

2»

Comments

• CaradasCaradas Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47826Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2043574:date=Dec 11 2012, 03:43 PM:name=Squishpoke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squishpoke @ Dec 11 2012, 03:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043574"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sucks to be those who can only hear out one ear...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

like 3d for people who only can see 2d.
    or sound for deaf people.

i don't think this is an argument aginst a feature.

but this feature makes voice communication in games more intuitive, because you can say "here at my location" or something like this. without to describe it.
  • HackepeterHackepeter Join Date: 2003-06-08 Member: 17107Members, Constellation
    edited December 2012
    Unfortunately my Mumble Plugin does not work anymore with the released version of NS2.

It appears to me that UWE removed the possibility to load custom dll libraries into the game. During the beta I did that with require("dll-name-without-extension") and gained direct access into the lua vm inside my dll code. Despite extracting the players position the dll was mainly used to access the windows capabilities of writing to shared memory (of Mumble). There is of course no lua command for that.

With this approach I was able to keep a working solution across the builds. Because usually most Mumble plugins directly read positional data from the games memory but with a game in heavy development I didn't want to update the plugin for every build and that is why I did it indirectly over the lua vm. Also because of the lua vm I don't even think that the players position variable has a constant memory location.

If anyone has ideas how to load a custom windows library without illegally violating the client file consistency checking, which unassumingly already is a dead end, please leave me some input here. Also if you can provide other help on finding a solution for getting Mumbles Positional Audio into NS2 feel free to reply.

Best would be of course if UWE officially integrates Mumbles Positional Audio into the engine like other games already did. Only very few lines of code are required to get that great feature.
    oh i have one idea ... a serverside mod..

its possible to export game stats (for external statstracking) so it should be possible to export playerpositons and transmit it to the mumble server
    not the best solution to implemet but for the most cases it is usable.
    If you have your own NS2 server you could connect it to your mumble server.

This is a serverside plugin for BF3 for example:
    <a href="https://github.com/bogie/Mumble-Positional-Audio-Framework" target="_blank">https://github.com/bogie/Mumble-Positional-Audio-Framework</a>
  • HackepeterHackepeter Join Date: 2003-06-08 Member: 17107Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2052067:date=Dec 28 2012, 01:14 AM:name=Caradas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Caradas @ Dec 28 2012, 01:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052067"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->oh i have one idea ... a serverside mod..

its possible to export game stats (for external statstracking) so it should be possible to export playerpositons and transmit it to the mumble server
    not the best solution to implemet but for the most cases it is usable.
    If you have your own NS2 server you could connect it to your mumble server.

This is a serverside plugin for BF3 for example:
    <a href="https://github.com/bogie/Mumble-Positional-Audio-Framework" target="_blank">https://github.com/bogie/Mumble-Positional-Audio-Framework</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is a great idea! I'll have look into it. Thanks!
    oh sorry i missunderstand this ;) mpaf uses only the contextdata from mumble to create channels and move players
    so my idea is possible but the posted code does not this what i said.