Please allow to tweak ambient sounds volume !

Deagle2Deagle2 Join Date: 2010-11-30 Member: 75360Members
I don't know if it's a bad thing to create a topic just for that, but I know there are some realy cool sound in the game and unfortunatelly, I can't hear them if I don't have my earphones on. And while my speakers are not the best, they are a decent 2.1 logitech system, wich in my opinion should be able to render the sound correctly.
So since sounds are as important as graphics in games, would it be possible to add an option in the menu (or even a console command) to make the ambient sounds stands out more that the alien/marine fighting sounds?
Thanks!

Comments

• simon kamakazisimon kamakazi Join Date: 2009-04-28 Member: 67296Members
    there will be sliders for volumes later on, not sure if there will be a seperate one for ambient sounds.

but one reason u might not be hearing them right now is because summit the main map ppl are playing now hasnt had the ambient sounds added in to the public version yet, so alot of rooms dont have any sound at all. try it on tram which has a full sound pass.
  • Deagle2Deagle2 Join Date: 2010-11-30 Member: 75360Members
    Indeed I haven't played on tram for a while, but I do hear a big difference with or without earphones even on summit... I don't know maybe it's just normal. Thanks anyway !
    the ambient sounds in a competitive multiplayer game are a touchy issue, on one hand u want the immersion that the ambiance gives, but u dont want to be getting in the way of gameplay sounds. so i think it might be a good idea to have a volume slider for ambient sounds actually, some ppl (me being one of them ) will like the ambient sounds louder to add to the atmosphere of the game. but i know that some ppl will want to get rid of them all together to concentrate only on hearing enemies coming down the hall. i think it really depends on why some one is playing the game, some ppl r about competition and skill others about immersion and experience
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    I do think that the sounds for Alien Death/Marine death are a little to extreme. When an Alien dies/get's a kill, the sound is overwhelming.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Great, more competitive settings that you need to use or else you're a noob.

Real fun for the people who don't like to slice up their game to stand a fighting chance.

I was hoping ambient sounds would add to the gameplay element, like a skulk ambushing a marine near noisy machinery. Throwing in a noise meter for balance.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    While we are at it, is there a way to further increase ingame voice volume? Currently its still too quiet most of the times, but maybe im getting old and deaf :,(
    <!--quoteo(post=1874054:date=Sep 10 2011, 01:54 PM:name=vizionz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vizionz @ Sep 10 2011, 01:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874054"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I do think that the sounds for Alien Death/Marine death are a little to extreme. When an Alien dies/get's a kill, the sound is overwhelming.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeh thats a bug atm, its only meant to play when u make a kill, not when anyone on ur team does, its loud like that to be heard over ur biting and shooting when u make a kill

<!--quoteo(post=1874066:date=Sep 10 2011, 03:27 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Sep 10 2011, 03:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874066"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Great, more competitive settings that you need to use or else you're a noob.

Real fun for the people who don't like to slice up their game to stand a fighting chance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i think ur really overestimating the advantage ud get from turning the ambient sounds down, ambient sounds are designed to be pretty quiet anyway, so it willl make no difference during a fight. the only advantage it might give u is a little more warning that some one is behind u, and only if there are almost no other game sounds happening.

<!--quoteo(post=1874067:date=Sep 10 2011, 03:41 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Sep 10 2011, 03:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874067"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While we are at it, is there a way to further increase ingame voice volume? Currently its still too quiet most of the times, but maybe im getting old and deaf :,(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

not right now, max will fix that tho.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1874034:date=Sep 10 2011, 11:15 AM:name=Deagle2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deagle2 @ Sep 10 2011, 11:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874034"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Indeed I haven't played on tram for a while, but I do hear a big difference with or without earphones even on summit... I don't know maybe it's just normal. Thanks anyway !<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Headphones usually outperform speakers in most cases, there's a reason why people with headphones (especially good ones) hear way more then people who play with speakers only :)
  • TheLordTheLord Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16258Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1874071:date=Sep 10 2011, 06:56 PM:name=simon kamakazi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (simon kamakazi @ Sep 10 2011, 06:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874071"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i think ur really overestimating the advantage ud get from turning the ambient sounds down, ambient sounds are designed to be pretty quiet anyway, so it willl make no difference during a fight. the only advantage it might give u is a little more warning that some one is behind u, and only if there are almost no other game sounds happening.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think there's a pretty big advantage in some places - yet I wouldn't want to turn ambient sounds off as they add so much feeling and fun to the game...

So I hope you don't add a way to tune ambient sounds separately from rine/alien footsteps etc... These need to be linked so not every "good player" has to turn off ambient sounds to get this advantage. Just look at what certain people do to their counter strike just to have tiny advantages...
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    The thought that both random pubbers and top-tier competitive-players will be playing the exact same NS2 (ea. sounds\hud\icons\et cetera) is a bit of a pipe-dream. Competitive players tend to set their game up to last, and certain elements of NS2 will get real annoying if you've been playing the game every day for months\years.

Having said that, I don't think anyone wants to go back to the NS1-days, where ransacking half the game was almost a must for half-decent clanners.
  • LORFCASTERLORFCASTER Join Date: 2010-06-13 Member: 72049Members
    edited September 2011
    I feel very strongly <b><u>against</u></b> an ambient sound volume bar. I am definitely most interested in skill based play, but love immersion at the same time.
    Dont add to the culture of stripping games down to gain a slight advantage.

Ive heavily invested in both pub and professional play in many games, including natural selection 1. Planning on doing the same for NS2