Cloak enable indicator

KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
edited August 2011 in Ideas and Suggestions
Would like a small simple icon that indicates your progress towards cloaking. So when you stop moving, something, maybe like the cooldown animation for abilities from WoW would be good. Every time you stop moving, the little animation starts, and when it completes you know your cloak starts.

Also, I didn't see it in the change log, but does anyone know what they did with cloak enable time? It's extended now?

Comments

• TopperTopper Mr. Parasite Himself Join Date: 2002-11-13 Member: 8462Members
    I also noticed it seems to take about twice as long to activate now, bug or feature?
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    I hope it's a bug. The cloak feature did not need the nerfs it received.

Now it's basically only for use in ambush situations where you wouldn't need cloak anyways.

Very frustrating the developers made the nerfs to cloak that they did. It was a great upgrade, now it's nearly pointless. The game's skill ceiling was literally reduced because of the nerfs.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2011
    Hopefully they add a portion to the energy circle for stealth. Like ns1 had for it's energy bar.
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    + 1 to OP

The Cloak needs lots of work.

the cloaked walk is too slow. In a game where minutes matter, taking 2-3 minutes to creep anywhere is game crippling not an advantage. and not to mention boring.

Cloaking to be toggable ability. eg: once upgraded press X to cloak (queue progress bar). You are now cloaked till you either press M1 or M2 or depressed X again.
    This for a few reasons.
    1st Holding down 2-3 keys cramps my hand after long periods (See above Cloaked Walk)
    2nd you should not decloak after walking over a bump in the map as you haven't depress X or Pressed M1 or M2.

Also transfering from walls to ground and vise versa while cloaked is practically impossible. needs some looking into.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    you are talking here about camouflage? If that's the case I have to completely disagree with you. This upgrade should be even more nerfed in my opinion, and give you only or almost complete invisibility when you don't move at all. if you move, marines should be able to spot you. maybe some increased effect on infestation, but I don't like it when people use the upgrade offensive and then saying "it's broken"... I think the purpose of the upgrade is not to be offensive
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2011
    I remember reading (somewhere, cant find it now) that cloak was being activated without regard for when you last moved, used an ability etc. So now it appears to restart the cloak timer from when you come to a complete stop.

edit: And yes, an indicator/timedown would be handy.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1872230:date=Aug 31 2011, 02:46 AM:name=Schimmel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schimmel @ Aug 31 2011, 02:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1872230"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you are talking here about camouflage? If that's the case I have to completely disagree with you. This upgrade should be even more nerfed in my opinion, and give you only or almost complete invisibility when you don't move at all. if you move, marines should be able to spot you. maybe some increased effect on infestation, but I don't like it when people use the upgrade offensive and then saying "it's broken"... I think the purpose of the upgrade is not to be offensive<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NP, you are not obligated to agree with anything I have to say :P

IMO though marines can deal with the old cloak very easily with intelligent play (which isn't seen too often in most games, so I understand your sentiment(s) completely).