There is no End Game.

13»

Comments

• ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    edited September 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1873505:date=Sep 7 2011, 06:46 PM:name=kingmob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kingmob @ Sep 7 2011, 06:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1873505"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yeah ...i just quoted myself.
    I don't get why this isn't considered.

Works great in Starcraft.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Because annoying maintenance is annoying. Marines have hard enough time keeping resource nodes going as it is. Plus, instant rebuild with stored resources means the idea is completely defeated. Also, just because something works great in one game doesn't mean it will in another.
  • azimaithazimaith Join Date: 2011-07-03 Member: 107686Members
    I have to agree with Zuriki, res nodes, cysts, they aren't really what I consider good gameplay mechanics because they're frankly really annoying to maintain. I'd much prefer to take control of rooms or the like and get res based on control, rather than having to build actual structures for it whenever a random person comes by to eat one.

It's why I despise Dawn of War/Dawn of War 2's resource/power node points on the map, all they do is turn games into flag tag where you are best served by avoiding all conflict and ruining peoples economies instead of fighting. The game is about aliens and marines killing one another, anything that gives people a reason not to be killing each other (IE cyst/RT destruction to fight economic wars), especially when it's accomplished by a single guy and a minute of their time, is a problem for me.
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    Annoying maintenance exists with resource nodes that never expire.
    Marines and Aliens constantly rebuild when the other team destroys them.

What if an area is sapped and becomes a dead zone?
    Then the concern is the strategic position of the area, not the res node.
    Do you simply protect against that zone or is it easier to occupy?

Maybe they did test the concept found it sucks and they just didn't let us know.
    But it is such an easy concept to test.

The only RTS I have played (and I will admit I haven't played a lot)
    that has endless resources prevents stalemates through the use of capture points. (Company of Heroes)
    Map domination = Game ends.

The other games that do have the endless resources .... do have stalemates that people just quit. (Middle Earth)

And then there is the original model of resources that expire.

The expiring resource would develop strategies of temporarily holding a position JUST to extract all resources at a higher rate.
    Recycle and leave.
    The cash retrieved could be invested in later tech.