Jumping mines

KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
The idea is a 5 team res mine, which when placed, has a small head above ground (destructible on alien hit), and when an alien is nearby it shoots up into the air and blows up.

Would be great for marine start base defense in the early game.

Before people say it's too powerful, please note, that it costs 5 team resources, which is huge in the early game, and has a visible piece which can be shot by a spore or bile bomb, at a distance safely.

The idea is that it can be hidden effectively (but not fully), so it will either kill the skulk(s) attacking your ip in the early game, or cause them to cautiously scout the base before approaching any specific area, again giving rines a small defensive advantage.

Comments

• subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    Like the hopper mines in HL2?
  • azimaithazimaith Join Date: 2011-07-03 Member: 107686Members
    Granted, I have a real love of defensive engineer style classes, I would really like to see a lot of static base defense stuff moving away from commanders and being given to players, I'd prefer to be able to drop mines as a weapon from the armory (as well as place a turret as a weapon from the armory) over having more commander defense structures. Then again, I guess commanders don't have tons to do otherwise and we really don't want turret spam getting worse.
  • BroseidonBroseidon Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110935Members
    edited August 2011
    according to the Wiki the MAC will be able to lay down mines for the cost of 5 energy. and the cost to upgrade it is 10.
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Mobile_Automated_Constructor" target="_blank">MAC Wiki</a> You can check it out for yourself by following the link.

EDIT: Hmmm...the link doesn't work :/
    EDIT AGAIN: Fixed it now it does :)
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1871685:date=Aug 28 2011, 01:39 PM:name=Broseidon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Broseidon @ Aug 28 2011, 01:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1871685"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->according to the Wiki the MAC will be able to lay down mines for the cost of 5 energy. and the cost to upgrade it is 10.
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Mobile_Automated_Constructor" target="_blank">MAC Wiki</a> You can check it out for yourself by following the link.

EDIT: Hmmm...the link doesn't work :/
    EDIT AGAIN: Fixed it now it does :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh cool, that's basically the feature I wanted. Unfortunately it prevents early game base defense.