Animation System

RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">The new one?</div>I think I saw mention of a new animation system being worked on... what will it bring to the game?

Personally, i'm not sure what a pirouetting Onos will look like when free-looking on the spot. Are we going to see turn animations, etc?

Comments

• Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    I'm not sure what animation they could implement to make an onos look around quickly without moving its entire body. The only way I can see a look-around animation work is if UWE sets a limit to how fast the onos can pan left and right.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    The animation system we've added is a flow graph for controlling how animations transition between each other. If you open up the Viewer, you can see it by opening the Animation Graph window.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think Tribes2 had a system whereby when the player stood on the spot and turned, the feet would shuffle so that the player looked like they were turning using their legs. Not just some sort of levitation.

It would certainly make the onos look a lot less daft - as his legs are so far apart.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    You can also have mouselook only turn the head or part of the body for a certain radius so that if they make small movements the whole body doesn't turn. Check out L4D survivors, they do this so that only the top half of their body moves when the survivor is looking anywhere within 180 degrees. It looks a lot better than spinning on the spot.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1871179:date=Aug 25 2011, 07:10 PM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Aug 25 2011, 07:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1871179"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can also have mouselook only turn the head or part of the body for a certain radius so that if they make small movements the whole body doesn't turn. Check out L4D survivors, they do this so that only the top half of their body moves when the survivor is looking anywhere within 180 degrees. It looks a lot better than spinning on the spot.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, we are planning on adding something like that for turning, and have been checking out what other games do, including L4D. We've been waiting for the new animation flow graph system to be fully implemented, first, as it will make adding animation stuff like that much easier.

--Cory
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1871241:date=Aug 26 2011, 12:53 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Aug 26 2011, 12:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1871241"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, we are planning on adding something like that for turning, and have been checking out what other games do, including L4D. We've been waiting for the new animation flow graph system to be fully implemented, first, as it will make adding animation stuff like that much easier.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Awesome! I can't wait to see it. I'm sure it'll make things look a lot smoother.