Easier extractor placement

KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
When a res node is visible in commander view, how about if you hold shift you can just click the node to drop an extractor on it? Going through menus is pointless.

Functionality is enabled when a drifter is selected, or in every situation while using marine commander.

Comments

• jergodzjergodz Join Date: 2011-05-20 Member: 99745Members
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Naw, there's no need for extractor free movement. Since they have static positioning, dynamic placement is pointless. Rooms or the nodes should just have "place reactor" buttons. Or something similar.
  • Smug_LobsterSmug_Lobster Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67903Members
    That's actually a really nice idea. it would clear up the menu a bit anyway.
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1871338:date=Aug 26 2011, 01:54 PM:name=Smug_Lobster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Smug_Lobster @ Aug 26 2011, 01:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1871338"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's actually a really nice idea. it would clear up the menu a bit anyway.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For new players to the game, I believe it would be easier to learn and work with. For those more experienced, it would be odd at first (most change is), but eventually it would be preferred. (imo)
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    As long as you kept the old way, I don't see why not. I'd also extend it to tech nodes since the same principle applies.
  • Trainee.gerTrainee.ger Join Date: 2011-05-22 Member: 100097Members
    maybe schimmel can test if this change is any good or not :)

but i like it!

+1
    edited August 2011
    Maybe in any room the commanders is in, if he holds shift, or ctrl, or some other key, it highlights the extractor onto the node, and if you primary click with mouse anywhere on the screen it places.

Super easy, and faster.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    dunno, I think it's not worth the time investment. Most people are used to the current system. And, even if you are new to NS: You are used to it from other RTS games: select builder, select structure to build, click on location where to build. I think people would not use it and it would be just a waste of time coding it.
    <!--quoteo(post=1872469:date=Sep 1 2011, 05:27 AM:name=Schimmel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schimmel @ Sep 1 2011, 05:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1872469"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->dunno, I think it's not worth the time investment. Most people are used to the current system. And, even if you are new to NS: You are used to it from other RTS games: select builder, select structure to build, click on location where to build. I think people would not use it and it would be just a waste of time coding it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If I see some good tutorials for NS2 LUA, and some NS2 LUA that's actually commented, I can code it myself.
    Everything's pretty vague from what I've seen.

As for people would not use it, yes they would, it's hard to predict ease of access in games, but in the end, it always works out to what's easiest.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1872469:date=Sep 1 2011, 02:27 AM:name=Schimmel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schimmel @ Sep 1 2011, 02:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1872469"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->dunno, I think it's not worth the time investment. Most people are used to the current system. And, even if you are new to NS: You are used to it from other RTS games: select builder, select structure to build, click on location where to build. I think people would not use it and it would be just a waste of time coding it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It wouldn't be a waste of time (I'd use it), but I'd say it would be a low priority. Hotkeys are much quicker than mouse movements in increasing the comms micro. However, I only see this really being used in the competitive scene.
  • DarkOmenDarkOmen Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7148Members
    It would also produce another thing in the world that can be accidentally clicked on while selecting stuff, or issuing orders. Q,S,click is easy enough once practiced, no?
    I think everyone's missing the point here.

While hitting Q and then S and then moving the mouse to the selected area isn't that hard, it is completely and 100% redundant.

Mouse structure placement is designed for structures that you can actually choose placement. Since you can't with extractors, you're doing extra work for no other reason as lack of design foresight. Extractor placement is needlessly complex and time consuming. Even if it's only half a second time you are saving per drop.

While I agree it's not a priority, that does not mean it would be pointless to implement, that's not a logical assumption.

Lets compare it to new cars which use push button ignition. While it's not hard to use a key, insert and turn it to start the engine, it's much simpler to just push a button. It's not lazy, it's intelligent.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited September 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1873328:date=Sep 6 2011, 05:14 PM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Sep 6 2011, 05:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1873328"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think everyone's missing the point here.

While hitting Q and then S and then moving the mouse to the selected area isn't that hard, it is completely and 100% redundant.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Using hotkeys is The Right Way to play any normal RTS game. The more you give options that aren't related to hotkeys, the more likely it is that people build their commanding routine on hotkeyless habits that will prevent them from improving a short while later.

I think it's far better to get the message across right away: Learn the hotkeys, you will not regret it.
    <!--quoteo(post=1873333:date=Sep 6 2011, 01:30 PM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Sep 6 2011, 01:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1873333"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Using hotkeys is The Right Way to play any normal RTS game. The more you give options that aren't related to hotkeys, the more likely it is that people build their commanding routine on hotkeyless habits that will prevent them from improving a short while later.

I think it's far better to get the message across right away: Learn the hotkeys, you will not regret it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Excellent, you understand hotkeys! Now imagine a process that takes 2 hot keys, now reduce it to 1. It is now optimized. 1 hot key is less than 2! 1<2.. Simpler, easier, it also speeds up macro when placing extractors by at least 100%!

...Welcome to RTS games my friend.
  • DarkOmenDarkOmen Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7148Members
    edited September 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1873375:date=Sep 6 2011, 06:05 PM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Sep 6 2011, 06:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1873375"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Excellent, you understand hotkeys! Now imagine a process that takes 2 hot keys, now reduce it to 1. It is now optimized. 1 hot key is less than 2! 1<2.. Simpler, easier, it also speeds up macro when placing extractors by at least 100%!

...Welcome to RTS games my friend.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This suggestion is somewhat akin to putting the horn on the grip of the steering wheel as opposed to in it's center. What could happen if a Marine dances with a Skulk around a res node, and calls for a med-pack? You definitely don't want to honk the horn.

This suggestion may seem attractive for casual players, but RTS veterans will not want. (I'm a StarCraft player, for the record.)
    edited September 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1873383:date=Sep 6 2011, 08:48 PM:name=DarkOmen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DarkOmen @ Sep 6 2011, 08:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1873383"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This suggestion is somewhat akin to putting the horn on the grip of the steering wheel as opposed to in it's center. What could happen if a Marine dances with a Skulk around a res node, and calls for a med-pack? You definitely don't want to honk the horn.

This suggestion may seem attractive for casual players, but RTS veterans will not want. (I'm a StarCraft player, for the record.)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I am surprised so many RTS vets fail to comprehend what is being proposed. Also, this concept was suggested for experienced RTS players. (People who want to do things as quickly and efficiently as possible.)

Hey maybe I got it backwards, needless movement(s), and extra keys for simple functions may just be what's best. The more work, the more efficient right?

(If you guys don't like the idea, just say it, or if you want to give a reason, make sure it works first.)
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    Holding Shift + Clicking the Res Node point for quick placement of extractor.. I agree completely.

Keep the old system too though for now, as it will allow people to playtest both ideas and see which one is better overall.

There really is no more need to argue about this, as it's a really simple addition and even when using hotkeys, rts people still need to click the mouse. Reducing the number of buttons required to press from 3, to 2, while also simplifying, but by no means dumbing down placement of EXTRACTORS (only extractors) is great in my book.

It's that simple, the idea is great, simple, and effective. Let's see how it goes.