Fog of war

WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
Not sure if this is already planned or not. I'd really like to see fog of war like in other RTS games. Basically areas were you can't see are shaded darker than the rest of the map. Marines would have a radius around them in which the commander could see.

Currently it can be difficult as commander telling whether or not you have line of sight in a specific area of the map. Often commanders can't see things that marines are standing right next to or shooting at. It would make sense if the areas which the commander can't see are darker to let him know he has no information about that part of the map.

Comments

• FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1869913:date=Aug 19 2011, 01:11 AM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Aug 19 2011, 01:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869913"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not sure if this is already planned or not. I'd really like to see fog of war like in other RTS games. Basically areas were you can't see are shaded darker than the rest of the map. Marines would have a radius around them in which the commander could see.

Currently it can be difficult as commander telling whether or not you have line of sight in a specific area of the map. Often commanders can't see things that marines are standing right next to or shooting at. It would make sense if the areas which the commander can't see are darker to let him know he has no information about that part of the map.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah why not. Normally it is so (Powernodes and Buildings included) but in 184 there is a Bug for the Marine commander, that he can't see Aliens or Alien Buildinngs and ARCs won't work (scan also doesn't help, and beacon is bugged too then). So FoW is in the game for all race spesific Buildings, Players or Entinyties. with a invisible fog.

But a darker place would be much better. Sometimes as Marine Com i see f.e. Reactor is lighted but if a Marine/Mac is inside it changes to red. That confuses me sometimes, because in classical RTS loke C&C, Civilisations, AoE, Dungeon Keeper... you have this. If it would be darker I could say if a Marine/Macs was there earlier.

So +1 to FoW with radius and LoS form Entinyties

Off toppic:

You really ruled to night on HBZ as Marine. Was a reallly nice game and hard for me as Alien com to see 1 Hive dying as soon as it was spawned. And I really missed the FoW as com today because it confused me somanytimes today! And I am really sorry for irrytating you with my chuckling. Btw we found a really nice Gorge trick today, that we should keep it our secret ;-)!

And a lottle Bugreport: As alien Com you can hear PG sounds where no PGs are.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1869924:date=Aug 19 2011, 02:21 AM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Aug 19 2011, 02:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869924"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And I am really sorry for irrytating you with my chuckling.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lol, that was you!? I'll get ya back next time :P
  • Taxen0Taxen0 Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73357Members
    I like the FoW idea aswell. +1

<!--quoteo(post=1869924:date=Aug 19 2011, 01:21 AM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Aug 19 2011, 01:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869924"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Normally it is so (Powernodes and Buildings included) but in 184 there is a Bug for the Marine commander, that he can't see Aliens or Alien Buildinngs and ARCs won't work (scan also doesn't help, and beacon is bugged too then).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I guess the bug is also for alien com, last time I played I could not see anything my minions were attacking.
    and the marines didn't show when running on infestation or even axing a building, makes it hard for any com to be useful and provide info. they even managed to sneak some bacon into AS because of this =)
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Isn't their already a semi fog of war in the game? I can't see whats going on in a specific point of the map without having something built or someone of the same team within it...
  • IactoIacto Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75209Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1870554:date=Aug 22 2011, 05:29 PM:name=vizionz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vizionz @ Aug 22 2011, 05:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870554"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Isn't their already a semi fog of war in the game? I can't see whats going on in a specific point of the map without having something built or someone of the same team within it...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But there's no visual indicator as to whether a room is empty or if you just can't see anything in it
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    ... so many great ideas, so few programmers :D

+1 FoW as darker places where you can't see as commander.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Fog of war would be lovely, I always hated not being able to see where I had visibility in NS1, and I really love supreme commander's excellent intelligence interface where all your various kinds of detection are given precise ranges and indications of coverage. Something like that would be very helpful.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    As long as they fix the sighting in non-FoW areas, +1. What bugs me right now is that enemy players don't show up in comm view when in LoS of friendly structures. You can only tell they are there by the attack sprites on structures.