Make alien spawning automatic

KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
Two reasons:
<ol type='1'><li>AFK alien players taking spawn spot</li><li>Dead aliens can ghost</li></ol>

Comments

• endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    1: Not automatic, but maybe time limited? Sometimes it pays to spawn from an egg at the right time.
    2: That will be fixed when dead aliens cannot go into free-look, which is probably just an oversight.
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    1) The spawn time just needs to be lowered or additional spawn locations need to be created.
    2) As the above poster said, once free look is eliminated, this will no longer be an issue.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    AFK players get into eggs that can be used by active players, and that takes time that might be needed.
    (Not addressed)
    But yes, ghosting will be gone I am sure.
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1870563:date=Aug 22 2011, 12:57 PM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Aug 22 2011, 12:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870563"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->AFK players get into eggs that can be used by active players, and that takes time that might be needed.
    (Not addressed)
    But yes, ghosting will be gone I am sure.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This sucks in pubs, however in scrims/matches no one is afk. I truely think that Alien spawn time is way to long and the locations need to be completely random throughout the entire Alien Start. Camping eggs is way to easy right now.
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    yes it is too easy to camp eggs right now and sometimes its frustrating to be clicking and clicking and clicking ( you get my point :) ) until you can finally get in. Time should be lowered a bit but I like the idea of maybe one or more eggs or a way to generate eggs as comm using p res? hmmm not sure.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1870599:date=Aug 22 2011, 01:08 PM:name=WasabiOne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WasabiOne @ Aug 22 2011, 01:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870599"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yes it is too easy to camp eggs right now and sometimes its frustrating to be clicking and clicking and clicking ( you get my point :) ) until you can finally get in. Time should be lowered a bit but I like the idea of maybe one or more eggs or a way to generate eggs as comm using p res? hmmm not sure.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Actually, I'd like to see something similar to beacon on the alien side, where the comm can instaspawn all egg locations (for either a energy or TRes cost).

Also, randomized and more egg spawn locations in each tech node would be nice. I think the latter needs to be done by the mapper, though.
    <!--quoteo(post=1870608:date=Aug 22 2011, 04:44 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Aug 22 2011, 04:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870608"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually, I'd like to see something similar to beacon on the alien side, where the comm can instaspawn all egg locations (for either a energy or TRes cost).

Also, randomized and more egg spawn locations in each tech node would be nice. I think the latter needs to be done by the mapper, though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Cool idea, but what would you call it?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1870623:date=Aug 22 2011, 02:47 PM:name=vizionz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vizionz @ Aug 22 2011, 02:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870623"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Cool idea, but what would you call it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Maybe sprout? or genesis? The name isn't as important as the concept right now.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    It's not a bad idea. An alien version of beacon.

Maybe it's a re searchable function of a shade (or another structure), where it consumes the shade for one respawn of maybe 5 aliens?

Or maybe it's a personal option costing a player 15 personal res to respawn.

Hive command ability with research time like drifter? Costs 5 energy and 5 team res to spawn one player?

Anyways, those are just random ideas I had. I hope they are not too bad and can maybe get some new conversation going.
  • eisigereisiger Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75159Members
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    i made a similar implementation for that: you can make a drifter to gestate into a normal egg by spending 5 t.res (also possible to drop life-form eggs for p.res). that works only on infestation
  • RichardRahlRichardRahl Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104594Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1870867:date=Aug 24 2011, 05:34 AM:name=Schimmel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schimmel @ Aug 24 2011, 05:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870867"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i made a similar implementation for that: you can make a drifter to gestate into a normal egg by spending 5 t.res (also possible to drop life-form eggs for p.res). that works only on infestation<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is kind of OP IMO, that would be like the marine commander being able to insta-spawn a marine for 5pres.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    edited August 2011
    what's op about that? Marines have distress beacon which doesn't even cost resources... but, this change anyway applies only to my mod, and I'm currently changing the alien spawning code. I will make it in future that you can "occupy" an egg once you are dead (the first free egg is chosen automatically by the server) and with left and right click you can cycle through free eggs which are available. once some fixed timer is over, you will hatch. This adds the option to spawn at chosen locations (hive under attack for example) and removes the ghost exploit (I will freeze dead alien cameras movement, so the worst thing that happens is that you can see what's going on where you died).

You were talking before about afk players being an issue. But aren't they anyway an issue, even without that system? I think the main problem is that you have less players fighting on your side, and since they respawn in the hive the chance shrinks that they take away precious eggs for spawning (since they don't die until your team gets overrun)

edit: maybe I will add the option to click on a mini-map where free eggs are displayed, would be a much better system.