New Players Read This

CorpseyCorpsey Join Date: 2011-07-02 Member: 107538Members
edited August 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">General Knowledge for NS2</div>This document may become larger as the builds are released. This is simply to teach the basics to new players because I'm so fed up with having them on my team. Information is ammunition.

<u>General</u>

The number keys scroll through attacks
"M" or "C" (depending on version) brings up the Mini-map, by default.<b> This is one of the most useful tools in the game.</b>
"G" Drops a weapon by default, if you see a better weapon on the ground you can drop yours to pick it up.
"E" Allows you to do many things; Enter the Commander role, build structures, buy weapons at the armory, fix power points, weld other players armor, and sometimes (in the near future) use buttons.
"F" Toggles Flashlight/Alien-vision
If you are using a button a lot that is taking you too much time to press, change your keyboard layout. i.e. Mini-map default is "M" and that is too far away so I change it to "C" so I can be walking and jumping over obstacles with my map up.
Don't be lazy. Seems obvious but everyone else is trying so if you're not you kind of let your team down.
If you are interested in being the commander, you should read the wiki for <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Marines" target="_blank">Frontiersmen</a> and <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Aliens" target="_blank">Kharaa</a>. Don't just research one or the other, it's good to know what you're up against, and you might not always be on the same team.

<u>Marines</u>

1) Marines spawn from infantry portals, which can be built from the Command Station.
2) To log in to the Command Station, walk up to the LOGIN screen and press "E" (default use key)
3) The commander mode is hot-keyed to save you time, use it to your advantage.
4) Stay with teammates as much as possible.
5) Get to know your weapons as fast as possible, and once you know them well, use them efficiently.
6) When turning a corner into a room sometimes if you hit your mini-map you will see aliens on the radar you can pinpoint. Just remember to keep your distance.
7) ARC's shoot through walls, and target structures. They are the supreme weapon. Not you. Let them win the game. (Defend them with your teammates basically)

<u>Aliens</u>

1) Aliens spawn from eggs by clicking the mouse once. If you're not spawning, spam mouse click.
2) Support the front line ASAP, or if you need some backup to take on a group of marines, communicate with your team and organize an attack. Don't try to be a hero unless you're certain the marine(s) wont hear you coming.
3) If you're not doing something you are probably in the wrong area. Use your Mini-map to find and join your teammates in battle.
4) A lone skulk is more powerful than you may think. If used right, they can be very deadly. You can also cut off the marines resource supply with the skulk lifeform. I suggest you try to do this because otherwise all they need to do is use the resources they obtain from the resource towers and build sentries with it so you'll never take it down late game.
5) Alien vision can be toggled with "F". Alien vision highlights certain objects, and even enemies. Use it as much as you want, as it doesn't cost anything to activate.

<u>Alien Hive Commanding Specific</u>

1) To enter a hive press "E" on any built hive.
2) Cysts are a new feature that lets you infest towards and into the marines side of the map. Place them wisely because they can be killed. Practice this because it is important.
3) Multitask. Don't just do one task because your team needs upgrades as much as you need to infest towards marine's outposts.
4) Drop crags for your teammates where you think is safe. Safe being a place where they might take 15% damage but your teammates will have killed anything that did that damage to them. Also think about where you would go if you wanted to heal. One more thing, crags DO have umbra, a special ability to reduce projectile damage; using it is very useful sometimes.
5) Make sure to build at least 1 whip for the bonus attack upgrades.
6) Try not to build a bunch of things right under a hive. ARCs will come along and just make confetti out of it. You will have lost all the team resources used to build it, morale from your team, and time and energy that the marines used to stock up on things that will blow your other hives up. The only things worth putting near a hive are whips and hydras in the early game.
7) Sometimes there will already be an alien commander. If you happen to become the commander and you notice that there are hives with 200/200 energy, and you think you can be using that to extend the cyst network or ready some drifters, do it quickly (but intelligently) and then get out to support the offensive attack.

<u>Marine Commander Specific</u>
1) If you ever feel that there is some reason you need to be commanding to build or upgrade something, just make sure that it's okay with your team first. If there was a commander and he got out to build something quicker, he might have a strategy in mind so don't go hop in the station for no reason. You will have only wasted time you could have used building the structure that was in front of you. If you are so new that this actually made you say "Oh, that's what I should have done?" it's probably best that you start your own LAN game and practice commanding to see just how much time and resources everything takes to accomplish.

<u>Summary</u>

This game requires patience but at the same time you have to be vigilant. Try to think ahead and flow your plan with your team. Good teams consist of sacrifice. Sometimes, there might be a player on your team with 7 kills and 14 deaths, but he will have made more of an impact on the game than someone with an even k/d ratio. Kills do mean something but sacrificing yourself for the good of the entire team (if necessary, I mean try to keep your stuff as long as possible by all means) shows that are putting a lot of effort into making something happen for them. Good luck and have fun. I know that this is all very general knowledge but you'd be surprised how often people ask simple questions. The bottom line is that if you really need to practice something, do it in a LAN game first! I don't want people practicing lerk flight or whatever when the entire rest of the team is focused on setting and accomplishing team goals. Also I've tried making it so foreigners can just run it through a translator.. just fyi, if you want me to add anything else you've noticed noobs don't get the hang of, just post it and I'll add it. Although I'm thinking to keep it as just the very basic because if they understand this then they can start understanding upgrades and tech trees on their own.

Comments

• DustehDusteh Join Date: 2011-07-25 Member: 112142Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2011
    Nice beginners guide, will link this to my mate that has just purchased NS2.

The summary could do with a few paragraphs mind you, bit of a wall of text at the moment! ;]
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    May I add one thing

As a new player, practice playing first on a private LAN server, familiarise yourself with what is available, play around with drifters/macs, cysts and sentries. Run around as gorge to try out hydra and mini cyst placement. Give the Fade a shot to get used to the unique blink movement. Look at all the structures and see what they do. You can find a bunch of 'cheats' (console commands) which will let you switch between life forms/get any weapon, and those commands are in a pinned thread in this section of the forums.

Practicing in a private server will make things a lot easier for you and your teammates.

When you are fairly familiar with the game, then give commanding a shot. Don't go marine commander in an active, busy game unless you have some idea what to do.
  • SilverwingSilverwing bulletsponge Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23395Members, Constellation
    One second of reading: C is not the map, M is.
  • assbdaassbda Join Date: 2011-05-02 Member: 96737Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1866539:date=Aug 5 2011, 03:08 PM:name=Silverwing)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Silverwing @ Aug 5 2011, 03:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866539"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One second of reading: C is not the map, M is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

haha true thats so oldskool.
  • SilverwingSilverwing bulletsponge Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23395Members, Constellation
    Oldskool but wrong.

Trust me, I press C more than M when I want the map. Still. New game, new conventions.
  • IactoIacto Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75209Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1866539:date=Aug 5 2011, 04:08 AM:name=Silverwing)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Silverwing @ Aug 5 2011, 04:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866539"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One second of reading: C is not the map, M is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It was, but they changed it to C as M is too far away. It's probably still M for you if you've had the game for a while however, because they didn't remap everyone's controls (thankfully, can't live without middle-click reload).
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nice work, though a little Introduction Video would handle this faster, easier and more understandable.
    I think 1 out of 10 People will read this.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited August 2011
    You forgot = 183:
    The AXE weapon let you run faster, use it if area is clear and you have to move faster (like in cs)
  • King CowKing Cow Join Date: 2011-07-28 Member: 112663Members
    Hmm is that true price? I had no idea.
  • wulf 21wulf 21 Join Date: 2011-05-03 Member: 96875Members
    Yes, smaller weapon now makes you run faster. However I prefer using the pistol because it's still good to defend yourself against a skulk.
  • CorpseyCorpsey Join Date: 2011-07-02 Member: 107538Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1866539:date=Aug 4 2011, 11:08 PM:name=Silverwing)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Silverwing @ Aug 4 2011, 11:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866539"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One second of reading: C is not the map, M is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That could explain why people never seem to use the minimap ~_~ I think I set it to "c" because of NS1.. well I will change that then.
  • King CowKing Cow Join Date: 2011-07-28 Member: 112663Members
    \pretty sure it was 'c' on mine before I changed it.
  • CorpseyCorpsey Join Date: 2011-07-02 Member: 107538Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1866592:date=Aug 5 2011, 06:45 AM:name=whoppaXXL)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (whoppaXXL @ Aug 5 2011, 06:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866592"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nice work, though a little Introduction Video would handle this faster, easier and more understandable.
    I think 1 out of 10 People will read this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Even if they read the first line some people will learn something.. You'd be surprised how often simple things like this are overlooked. Also, if I did a video in English it would not be translatable, whereas any nation's people can run this through a translator and it will say exactly what the title describes.