Idea's for the Shotgun ALT Attack?

vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
Just wanted to get some ideas that everyone had for the alternative file (mouse2) for the shotgun.

My personal suggestion is double shot. Fire 2 bullets at a slower rate requiring more precision. Simple, but useful when 1v1-ing a Fade.

Comments

• KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Possibly a shot with a tighter conical damage pattern, but with slightly reduced damage
  • AezayAezay Join Date: 2003-04-19 Member: 15660Members
    Could also be a defensive ability, block perhaps? This would cause an attacking alien to do reduced damage when used, but it had to be timed well.
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Maybe it can shoot a Flare that will distort the Alien view mode causing the Alien to have trouble tracking the Marine. This can be a great way to rush a growing Hive or a Skulk infested area.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like it better with it's simple layout to be honest. Though it's not logical that you can't melee hit with it.
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1866374:date=Aug 4 2011, 02:50 PM:name=Aezay)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aezay @ Aug 4 2011, 02:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866374"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Could also be a defensive ability, block perhaps? This would cause an attacking alien to do reduced damage when used, but it had to be timed well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Maybe even a "push back" type of melee. Current the LMG just hits the enemy with the "butt" of the rifle. If the shotgun connects with the Melee it, it's sends the Alien class (depending on its size) sliding backwards (a cool little animation similar to if someone kicked you in the stomach in real life?). Obviously an Onos would slide next to nothing heh. This will cause a slight blur on the Aliens screen and a slight delay on the Marine being able to shoot of a shell.
  • ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
    Alt fire: throw shotgun at enemy causing skull fractures. Pick up shotgun afterwards
    :D

Nah, srsly I'm not sure if it really needs an alt fire. What for? It's fine.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited August 2011
    I would love to see a flare alt fire. Like alt fire would load one shot and your next trigger pull would shoot it. It can illuminate a dark area with a creepy reveling color and also show stealthed units. Unfortunetly it would be over powered unless you only had 2-4 shots. Later if aliens go Shade (Sensory) as their starting chamber, it is a pain to get those sneak stealthed units.
    <!--quoteo(post=1866382:date=Aug 4 2011, 03:02 PM:name=Zeno)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeno @ Aug 4 2011, 03:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866382"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Alt fire: throw shotgun at enemy causing skull fractures. Pick up shotgun afterwards
    :D

Nah, srsly I'm not sure if it really needs an alt fire. What for? It's fine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Every gun needs an Alternative fire. Being an avid hunted, every rifle, shotgun, pistol, bow, etc. has some type of alternative fire. Those that done, are usually those that aren't as fun to shoot :)
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1866382:date=Aug 4 2011, 11:02 AM:name=Zeno)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeno @ Aug 4 2011, 11:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866382"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Alt fire: throw shotgun at enemy causing skull fractures. Pick up shotgun afterwards<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Better, just throw the shells! That will teach them some manners!
  • pairdimepairdime Join Date: 2011-03-03 Member: 84403Members
    edited August 2011
    I would like to see a flak shot that ricochets off walls, kind of like in Unreal Tournament.
    <!--quoteo(post=1866384:date=Aug 4 2011, 03:05 PM:name=RisingSun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RisingSun @ Aug 4 2011, 03:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866384"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would love to see a flare alt fire. Like alt fire would load one shot and your next trigger pull would shoot it. It can illuminate a dark area with a creepy reveling color and also show stealthed units. Unfortunetly it would be over powered unless you only had 2-4 shots. Later if aliens go Shade (Sensory) as their starting chamber, it is a pain to get those sneak stealthed units.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The Flare can blind the Aliens similar to the Hive's flare ability. Very few people actually use the Flare/Umbra capabilities while being an Alien Commander. Having the capability to distort the Aliens view with a flare would be a great feature.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1866388:date=Aug 4 2011, 01:08 PM:name=vizionz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vizionz @ Aug 4 2011, 01:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866388"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Flare can blind the Aliens similar to the Hive's flare ability. Very few people actually use the Flare/Umbra capabilities while being an Alien Commander. Having the capability to distort the Aliens view with a flare would be a great feature.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I personally hate anything that takes control of my char or blinds/effects my vision. Stealth will be a big player in coming patches. I will revisit my suggestion then hehe.

*stealthed skulks bites you in the butt one to many times and you will wish my the RisingSun Flare Gun!* lol
    <!--quoteo(post=1866390:date=Aug 4 2011, 03:10 PM:name=RisingSun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RisingSun @ Aug 4 2011, 03:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866390"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I personally hate anything that takes control of my char or blinds/effects my vision. Stealth will be a big player in coming patches. I will revisit my suggestion then hehe.

*stealthed skulks bites you in the butt one to many times and you will wish my the RisingSun Flare Gun!* lol<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Motion Track > Sensory Stealth.
    Motion tracking cant see stealthed units. So you sir, are wrong! lol
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2011
    Loads a Dragons Breath shell => Less direct dmg, but sets on fire => flamethrower dot.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e107SMxvdCg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e107SMxvdCg</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8niD-n0lHk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8niD-n0lHk</a> @1:25
    <!--quoteo(post=1866388:date=Aug 4 2011, 11:08 AM:name=vizionz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vizionz @ Aug 4 2011, 11:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866388"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Flare can blind the Aliens similar to the Hive's flare ability. Very few people actually use the Flare/Umbra capabilities while being an Alien Commander. Having the capability to distort the Aliens view with a flare would be a great feature.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The Idea is not bad, though 'realistically' the light should not affect the aliens, it's all over the map and in effect it should blind the marines, too.
    This is far-fetched, but a high pitch sound only heard by aliens that disorient them would make more sense in that way. But I'm talking about scientific gibberish here.. Every Idea that would make sense gaming wise makes no sense shotgun wise for me.
    edited August 2011
    Another one:
    Let's say the TSA know that the Aliens aren't dumb. Everyone in battle wins usually with a good placed first feint.
    Right click simulates a shot, but does not use any shells, with would aliens make pretty carefree when they think the marine has actually to reload.

Though: Overusing and permanent "empty shots" could be the consequence. Also it means pretty low impact on the average player psychology.

sorry thought I edited the above post
  • kaffaljidhmakaffaljidhma Join Date: 2011-07-14 Member: 110392Members
    If you make a link to a flare idea in getsatisfaction I'll upvote it.
    <!--quoteo(post=1866392:date=Aug 4 2011, 03:14 PM:name=RisingSun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RisingSun @ Aug 4 2011, 03:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866392"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Motion tracking cant see stealthed units. So you sir, are wrong! lol<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes it can, it can only not see a Stealth unit that is NOT moving. HENCE the word "Motion" tracking.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1866386:date=Aug 4 2011, 07:07 PM:name=whoppaXXL)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (whoppaXXL @ Aug 4 2011, 07:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866386"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Better, just throw the shells! That will teach them some manners!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Why not replace the shotty with a kitchen sink, too overpowered perhaps?
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1866394:date=Aug 4 2011, 03:17 PM:name=whoppaXXL)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (whoppaXXL @ Aug 4 2011, 03:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866394"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Idea is not bad, though 'realistically' the light should not affect the aliens, it's all over the map and in effect it should blind the marines, too.
    This is far-fetched, but a high pitch sound only heard by aliens that disorient them would make more sense in that way. But I'm talking about scientific gibberish here.. Every Idea that would make sense gaming wise makes no sense shotgun wise for me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It needs to be effective towards Aliens and the best way to do that is distort their Alien view or cause a quick and short flash on the Aliens normal view screen. Right now, to be completely honest with you, the Alien view is like Wallhacks in HL1. No, you can't see through walls, but Marine trying to hide in a corner and complete a ninja rush (which were amazingly fun and awesome in NS1 public servers) is no longer possible. Motion tracking will assist the Marines ability to track Aliens better, but it is no where as equal to the Alien view.

What I propose!
    Marines that are actively moving and basically "building up body heat" are currently viewed as they are now. However, when a Marine stops or slows down, the tint of their body in Alien viewis drastically dimmed down causing them to be able to "hide" and sneak under the Radar. Similar to a Stealth Alien walking within a Sensory location.
    <!--quoteo(post=1866402:date=Aug 4 2011, 03:34 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Aug 4 2011, 03:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866402"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why not replace the shotty with a kitchen sink, too overpowered perhaps?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What not replace your post with someone constructive to this conversation? To much to ask perhaps? :)

jk <3 u!
    edited August 2011
    Again wrong. When is stealth you are invisible. Only slight seen by marines on the ground but never depicted on the minimap or comm view. Only until you moved to fast (breaking stealth) or attacked (breaking stealth) did you become visible.
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1866403:date=Aug 4 2011, 01:34 PM:name=vizionz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vizionz @ Aug 4 2011, 01:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866403"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It needs to be effective towards Aliens and the best way to do that is distort their Alien view or cause a quick and short flash on the Aliens normal view screen. Right now, to be completely honest with you, the Alien view is like Wallhacks in HL1. No, you can't see through walls, but Marine trying to hide in a corner and complete a ninja rush (which were amazingly fun and awesome in NS1 public servers) is no longer possible. Motion tracking will assist the Marines ability to track Aliens better, but it is no where as equal to the Alien view.

What I propose!
    Marines that are actively moving and basically "building up body heat" are currently viewed as they are now. However, when a Marine stops or slows down, the tint of their body in Alien view and drastically dimmed down causing them to be able to "hide" and sneak under the Radar. Similar to a Stealth Alien walking within a Sensory location.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

didnt scroll enough to see this little Gem either. Alien vision isnt OP and not all aliens keep it on 24/7. I only use it briefly to check a dark room. Other than that i dont use it because i like seeing the lighting and using the shadows. This "Building up body heat" it unneeded and excessive. I would use the processing required to track your body heat for gorges pooping randomly like horses to make marines slip. Marines arent encouraged to rambo around. Groups are the most effective and are to be promoted subtly. Plus ninjas are the best later in the game when the marines are focusing on one end of the map and a solo guy runs to the other side where no aliens usually are.
    So we all agree that at these terms the best idea is to take the shotgun out of the game. :P

<!--QuoteBegin-visionz+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (visionz)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->What I propose!
    Marines that are actively moving and basically "building up body heat" are currently viewed as they are now. However, when a Marine stops or slows down, the tint of their body in Alien view and drastically dimmed down causing them to be able to "hide" and sneak under the Radar. Similar to a Stealth Alien walking within a Sensory location.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I see your point! But mostly all that can be enhanced on the shotty is either a passive ability (which takes the skill from the player and mostly is getting on the nerves of the aliens), does not make sense (in the needlessly complicated sense) with the realistically seen shotgun situation OR gaming wise.

Hard nut right here. :)

Maybe there still will come some good Ideas for discussion.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    A simple 2nd attack like the rifle has is OK with me.
  • HakujinHakujin Join Date: 2003-05-09 Member: 16157Members, Constellation
    Frankly I think you guys are overdoing most of these ideas. What is wrong with a simple melee attack just like the LMG?
    <!--quoteo(post=1866418:date=Aug 4 2011, 02:32 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Aug 4 2011, 02:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866418"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A simple 2nd attack like the rifle has is OK with me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1866419:date=Aug 4 2011, 02:34 PM:name=Hakujin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hakujin @ Aug 4 2011, 02:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866419"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Frankly I think you guys are overdoing most of these ideas. What is wrong with a simple melee attack just like the LMG?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Good point, but kinda lack luster. Another rifle butt would be a little redundant.

+1 to the kitchen sink
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    how bout a hand grenade secondary fire on sg as a hand grenade with a 5 sec fuse would be cool sg is already same cost as gl give me a reason to get sg over a gl. refill able via armory!!!
    <!--quoteo(post=1866407:date=Aug 4 2011, 03:40 PM:name=RisingSun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RisingSun @ Aug 4 2011, 03:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866407"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Again wrong. When is stealth you are invisible. Only slight seen by marines on the ground but never depicted on the minimap or comm view. Only until you moved to fast (breaking stealth) or attacked (breaking stealth) did you become visible.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    How many times are you going to edit your post till you make it sound right? Lol, the point is, motion tracking will counter sensory andbuilding a simple observatory drop always negated sensory chambers in important locations.

Stop trying to get in a pssing match with me. Your originally statement wasn't entirely correct, so I corrected you. Let it go. Let's stick to the subject of this thread, thanks!