interactive minimap

c0kec0ke Join Date: 2004-07-02 Member: 29676Members
<div class="IPBDescription">^^</div>don't know if already suggested, but
i'd like to have an interactive minimap that e.g. shows playernames on mouseover
and let the commanders paint on it, so they can easily tell their people the current objective(s). especially helpfull for newbies and pub games

i'd really like to see such features for a long long time. expand the minimap

Comments

• Dragon-GuardDragon-Guard Join Date: 2011-07-25 Member: 112159Members
    i would expect ######s being drawn, lots and lots of ######s :P
    Same happened in Alien Swarm, there u could also draw on the map to go over ur play that round with ur team, always ended up in atleast someone drawing a (badly drawn) penis.
  • DustehDusteh Join Date: 2011-07-25 Member: 112142Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1866209:date=Aug 4 2011, 02:21 AM:name=Dragon-Guard)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dragon-Guard @ Aug 4 2011, 02:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866209"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Same happened in Alien Swarm, there u could also draw on the map to go over ur play that round with ur team, always ended up in atleast someone drawing a (badly drawn) penis.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    lmao
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2011
    I think you could do three great things with the minimap.

1. Have an 'initials' input as well as 'name' input in the menu... so initials can show up for recognising players. (Mouse over could reveal full name)

2. Make phasegates selectable - so when you go through any phase gate, you teleport to the selected position.

3. Show Commander location.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1866209:date=Aug 3 2011, 08:21 PM:name=Dragon-Guard)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dragon-Guard @ Aug 3 2011, 08:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866209"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->... always ended up in atleast someone drawing a (badly drawn) penis.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i guess that will be the first thing that happens if you enable drawing on the minimap...
    or, you guys remember in NS1 the ability to spray logos on the walls? after a while it became very easy to import custom logos, and certain pictures with certain parts of women were sprayed all over the map...

I'm against things that kill immersion of a game in such a <b>drastic</b> way :D

edit:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->2. Make phasegates selectable - so when you go through any phase gate, you teleport to the selected position.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

how should that work in detail? you walk through the gate, and then? or you should "use" the PG like in NS1 mods and can choose destination 1 - 9?
    or you walk through it, disappear and your screen is black for 2 seconds where you only see a minimap. you can either click on the destination or press a number button on your keyboard
  • c0kec0ke Join Date: 2004-07-02 Member: 29676Members
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1866209:date=Aug 3 2011, 08:21 PM:name=Dragon-Guard)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dragon-Guard @ Aug 3 2011, 08:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866209"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i would expect ######s being drawn, lots and lots of ######s :P
    Same happened in Alien Swarm, there u could also draw on the map to go over ur play that round with ur team, always ended up in atleast someone drawing a (badly drawn) penis.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i actually don't think that would happen very often
    since not everyone can draw on it - only commanders - the chance of having an idiot in it drawing trash is heavily reduced. and if so, you probably should eject him

another addition could be 'labeling the minimap'. make notes, etc, directly on it (commander only.)

the phasegate thingy sounds complicated but <could> be handy if realized properly