Aliens and niches

ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Bit of a rant, bit of a question and bit of speculation...</div>I feel like the the aliens all have pretty poorly defined niches.
Skulks are the early-game muscle but late game cannon-fodder.
Lerk is early-game AOD and defender, late game cannon-fodder.
Gorge is early-game assistant defender, AOD (to some effect), medic, late game super-weapon (bilebomb; when used effectively).
Fade is "early-game" assassin and muscle, late game pest (not really cannon-fodder because of their durability).
Onos is early-game nothing and end-game super-weapon which will only serve to replace the Gorge's end-game.

So as you can see, the entire alien team is nullified over time.
Skulks and lerks become to weak to do anything other than soak up bullets defending Gorges.
Fades, whilst they fair better than most, still mostly serve to harass Marines and soak up bullets for Gorges.
Gorge's actually fair the best so far, as they become more useful in the end-game by killing off the Marine base and their heal ability serves to keep around their Fade underlings for more bullet soaking.
Onos, when introduced, will only serve to nullify the Gorge; it's super structure destroying ability means the bilebomb pales in comparison. However, the Gorge will still have purpose -- imagine a single Onos supported by a team of 4 Gorges, each Gorge healing the Onos, itself and the other Gorges.

Excuse the writing style, but it was intended to read much like bullet points, only more flowing.

Comments

• QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Aliens don't have all their abilities yet, so rest assured they will eventually be useful at all points of the game. Xenocide / Primal Scream type abilities would instantly make the skulk and lerk useful late in the game.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    The game is broken on many levels which really hurts roles (the very little they were given with). I'll take skulk as an example, in NS1 skulk were agile force that in early game were used for taking down resource towers and holding own resource towers. Aliens are on defence early game the concept is probably hard to understand if you played only public but basicly it was one or two tops eating marineresource towers and rest defending resource towers (which btw actually were useful as they speeded up fade, hive time and the if resources rates were kept equal both sides aliens had the favor which forced marines almost always to attack). It was only after second hive that (all) aliens could really go on offense since the hives buffed up all the aliens instead of just allowing to morph them. It is also worth noting that maps were build differently most of the resource spots do not allow alien to react and move onto next one, alien just dies.

The short version

- Skulk is not agile enough to run away from rt defender
    - Resourcetower spots are built (just taking summit into the calculations) favoring marines not allowing single alien to escape
    - Resource meaningfulness has decreased tremendously
    - Skulks do not scale with the hives aswell anymore (Leap was huge with proper movement atm its way too predictable) no 3rd hive ability.
    - Neither side are not forced to do anything both can just spam structures.

Slapping together gimped skulk like creature is not obviously going to bring back excellent depth and gameplay. Lack of developers insight imo :/
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    TrC, I have a question since I never played NS1. Why did the aliens need to defend their res towers early game? Surely the maps were even bigger and it would have take marines ages to get to the other side (in which case the skulks could just attack the marine base easily.)

What was it that allowed the marines to be aggressive in the early game?
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited August 2011
    The first couple minutes of the game was about res control. Rines had a "base biznatch" who gaurded base 100% You have a push team that was agressive and looking to down alien RTS and one rine to cap res on the cold side of the map. Res for marines was huge and had to be hoarded. It drove: buildings, upgrades, med/ammo packs, and weapons. It was all a race to get to the higher tech asap.

Map control was big also. Aliens were defensive for the hive and their second hive location (which is usually where the first and second RTs went around or between). Alien hives had a random chance to spawn at 3 locations which made starts HUGE. "Safe" nodes were scarce and a lot of time was put into guarding nodes. Not storming marine start to feed them res.

Also alien side (ranked 6v6 matches) people would call out rolls to play. 1 would save for fade, 1 would save for hive, 2 would drop an RT (one would save for fade after that the other would remain gorge and drop the last chamber "movement, sensory, or defense"), 1 would save for chambers (2), and 1 lerk (and with kills a fade later on if fade one went down). Res was THAT planned out. (Been awhile since i played but i think that was the formula)

Oh how i miss NS 1.
  • SmasherSmasher Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43732Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1865833:date=Aug 2 2011, 04:46 PM:name=RisingSun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RisingSun @ Aug 2 2011, 04:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1865833"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The first couple minutes of the game was about res control. Rines had a "base biznatch" who gaurded base 100% You have a push team that was agressive and looking to down alien RTS and one rine to cap res on the cold side of the map. Res for marines was huge and had to be hoarded. It drove: buildings, upgrades, med/ammo packs, and weapons. It was all a race to get to the higher tech asap.

Map control was big also. Aliens were defensive for the hive and their second hive location (which is usually where the first and second RTs went around or between). Alien hives had a random chance to spawn at 3 locations which made starts HUGE. "Safe" nodes were scarce and a lot of time was put into guarding nodes. Not storming marine start to feed them res.

Also alien side (ranked 6v6 matches) people would call out rolls to play. 1 would save for fade, 1 would save for hive, 2 would drop an RT (one would save for fade after that the other would remain gorge and drop the last chamber "movement, sensory, or defense"), 1 would save for chambers (2), and 1 lerk (and with kills a fade later on if fade one went down). Res was THAT planned out. (Been awhile since i played but i think that was the formula)

Oh how i miss NS 1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Good times indeed!
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1865829:date=Aug 2 2011, 11:20 PM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Aug 2 2011, 11:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1865829"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->TrC, I have a question since I never played NS1. Why did the aliens need to defend their res towers early game? Surely the maps were even bigger and it would have take marines ages to get to the other side (in which case the skulks could just attack the marine base easily.)

What was it that allowed the marines to be aggressive in the early game?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In NS1 resource towers were far more important than in NS2.
    Killing one actually made a difference. Losing your starting RTs was a huge setback.
    <!--quoteo(post=1865829:date=Aug 2 2011, 11:20 PM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Aug 2 2011, 11:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1865829"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->TrC, I have a question since I never played NS1. Why did the aliens need to defend their res towers early game? Surely the maps were even bigger and it would have take marines ages to get to the other side (in which case the skulks could just attack the marine base easily.)

What was it that allowed the marines to be aggressive in the early game?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The game was balanced so that if both marines and aliens had the same/similar amount of resourcetowers, aliens would have the advantange due seer strength of the lifeforms. NS1 also had a distress beacon which allowed every marine dead or alive teleport to marine start at the cost of 15 resources, trade offs such as alien resource towers / whole marine base except CC(too many hitpoints) happened fairly often and they did not even necessery put marines into worse position since killing resource towers significantly reduced time when aliens get their new hive and fade. Distress beacon required observatory, and observatory required armory so as long as you had you armory up you could drop and observatory to the field and beacon back and "start again" by capping/defending resnodes.

Another great feature of NS1 that is not in NS2 was that you could adapt to such situation for example sacrificing your designed hive skulk and drop two nodes to compensate for the loss inexchange for later hive, or wait for rt/fade (player making resource tower and fading after/around second hive) to recap if he had good RFK gain (another feature that brings great depth to the game unlike NS2 model).

The power shifting on both sides made it very interesting and unique experience everytime, very crude way of putting would be that vanilla marines > skulks (first 1.30-2.30min) ||| lerk > vanilla marines 2.30min -> 5-7min ||| sg marine > lerk (anytime of the game in exchange for resources/gain) ||| fade > sg marine 7min ||| 2nd hive > sgs and so on.

Extremely crude way of expressing it but I hope you can imagine how refressing the game was since the balance or more like advantage shifted around and things like sg or lerk dying had a huge effect on how to game flowed forward and the decisions ingame had a real meaning.
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    The main problem with the NS1 resource system was that it did not scale with players. The marine team had a centralized resource system (like tres), while the aliens split all the incoming res into personal pools (so if you had twice as many aliens, your personal income was halved). As hives had to be built out of someones personal res, having half the income meant the second hive taking a lot longer for the aliens (somewhat compensated for by RFK ... but that goes both ways - the marines tech dev is speeded up even more with RFK).

OTOH, high-level aliens like the fade and onos had to be durable because they represented a HUGE investment.

The NS2 tres/pres system means that the game should be possible to scale for games in the 6-16 team size range (not saying its going to be EASY ... just possible).

However, while the resource system has changed fundamentally, the tech tree and cost structure is still basically modeled on NS1.

I think this is a temporary thing though; until all the designed for contents are in, UWE is probably content to have a "playable" resource system just to get enough playtime on the game to get feedback on bugs, performance (and design issues like this).

So think of the current tech tree/economy as a crude scaffold there just to allow the beautiful arch of the final NS2 version to be built. Hey, almost poetry! :-)
  • CorpseyCorpsey Join Date: 2011-07-02 Member: 107538Members
    I found one flaw and that's that the flamethrower can just remove energy from the gorges so they can't even heal, making basically all lifeforms useless against structures.. if aliens can't kill structures they can't win. Their downside is that they only really have bilebomb (currently).. and while that can be good if the team your on defends the gorge bile'ing, if they don't - that gorge gets taken out quite easily and has to retreat quite far for healing sometimes because it can't drop crags itself and it has to rely on the commander. This retreating action lets the marines heal up, obtain more ammo and reload their weapons. The aliens role when they're under fire? (literally) Wait until the flames go out.. and sometimes they can't even be healed because the gorges were also on fire and have no energy left D:

Speaking of which, gorge should be able to put out flames, no? After all it <i>sprays</i> healing. Just a thought.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Gorge healing does put out flames.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1865987:date=Aug 3 2011, 03:29 AM:name=Corpsey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Corpsey @ Aug 3 2011, 03:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1865987"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...
    Speaking of which, gorge should be able to put out flames, no? After all it <i>sprays</i> healing. Just a thought.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

they already can do that!! And I think the FT should not reduce energy regeneration, but make all abilities cost twice as much energy instead

I think the problem in ns2 is not only the resource system (its definitely not ok now). It's mainly the map layout of summit. There could be a few more vents, as they are a crucial element of the game play. If you play on a map which is just 1 big room, skulks vs. marines, guess who would win? then you adjust the balance, make also a new map with lots of vents and hideouts, suddenly skulks would win each round. The resource model needs some tweaking, but I think the skulks are more or less fine now. You should keep in mind that you play basically without upgrades now, since they are not implemented (talking about carapace and all the other stuff). later, even hive 1 skulks, will become more dangerous if you decide to spend a few p.res.
    <!--quoteo(post=1865992:date=Aug 3 2011, 11:13 AM:name=Schimmel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schimmel @ Aug 3 2011, 11:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1865992"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the FT should not reduce energy regeneration, but make all abilities cost twice as much energy instead<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Instead of conserving currect energy fade would have leave the battle BEFORE even if he was not on flames because catching flames would get him killed.

This would be extremely stupid.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    you should keep in consideration that the fade could get a movement ability that cost no energy. so you could then decide to stay, try to kill your target and retreat with that ability (uwe wrote something about mini blink some time ago, dunno if they implement it). against a group of marines with a flamethrower you should be more careful (FT + shotgun would be deadly for the fade), since you dont have the energy to use blink for retreating.

if your enemies only have shotguns, you can use blink more often since you have the energy. and against a group with only FT's, you dont need blink since the burst damage would not be high enough to get you killed (and they have limited range, so you can retreat with your mini blink).

what else is the role of the FT than deflecting / crippling alien attacks?
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1865992:date=Aug 3 2011, 02:13 AM:name=Schimmel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schimmel @ Aug 3 2011, 02:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1865992"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->they already can do that!! And I think the FT should not reduce energy regeneration, but make all abilities cost twice as much energy instead

I think the problem in ns2 is not only the resource system (its definitely not ok now). It's mainly the map layout of summit. There could be a few more vents, as they are a crucial element of the game play. If you play on a map which is just 1 big room, skulks vs. marines, guess who would win? then you adjust the balance, make also a new map with lots of vents and hideouts, suddenly skulks would win each round. The resource model needs some tweaking, but I think the skulks are more or less fine now. You should keep in mind that you play basically without upgrades now, since they are not implemented (talking about carapace and all the other stuff). later, even hive 1 skulks, will become more dangerous if you decide to spend a few p.res.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If FT doubles the energy cost of abilities, I think there may be a problem, if aliens have abilities that cost more than 50 energy, as they will become unusable. Or maybe that can be used as a balancing mechanism. I only played a bit with the FT in your Prototype Mod, but the damage alone seems deadly enough! :D

I agree difference in map design can have heavy impact on the balance(eg shortage of vents on Summit). NS2 is still growing every week, and this week is looking to be quite exciting!
    <!--quoteo(post=1866007:date=Aug 3 2011, 05:44 AM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Aug 3 2011, 05:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866007"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->.. I only played a bit with the FT in your Prototype Mod, but the damage alone seems deadly enough! :D ..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

there is no burst damage. if you "heat up" your target, the dps become deadly :)
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I would love to see movement abilities cost 0 energy and attacks cost more. That way movement can define the aliens again.