NS2 models

TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
edited August 2011 in Mapping
<div class="IPBDescription">Are there these types at all?</div>I have ambition for a map, something I would like to build however NS2 currect style does not fit this style at all. So I'm asking those of you who have fiddled with the models more and the devs too.

Is there or is there going to be these types of models?

-White clean Plastic walls all angles enough to make tunnels
-Clean seethrough glass / broken clean glass
-Round clean windows
-Medical equipment preferably, lab equipment aswell
-Clean Suits
-Plastic or non metal chairs and tables
-Water (I know there's a waterfall on a map)
-Waterflow (on floor)
-Thickblastdoor
-Plastic or rubber tubes long
-Hospital bed and other stuff like curtains
-Holograms
-Security cameras
-Plastic warning lights / emergency lights / green exit signs.
-Non metal floors possibly square styled gray or dark blue

Clean white plastic and clean glass would probably be enough to start on the work, anyway if you have seen something that might resemble or could easily be modified to look like one of these, I would appriciate you telling me the model.

Comments

• ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    You can just make a custom material and apply it to geometry. You can intermingle the sterile and industrial look to create something interesting, much like Portal did (not so much Portal 2).

Again, create an emissive type material and you can achieve glass.

This one could really do with a model, but the number of varieties of round glass means it's pretty impractical to achieve on a general basis. Not hard to model though if you needed it.

Definitely needs a model of some sort, might be interesting.

No idea what this means, I assume you mean environmental suits and as a decorative prop (hung up for example).

I'm getting a "Mirror's Edge" theme coming to mind with this and the sterile walls.

I vaguely remember water being a not until much later, fortunately for you, water can be "sort of" faked with the cinematic editor, works best for fast-flowing water though.

Probably.

Possibly.

Maybe.

Uh... I don't know.

Again, probably.

Again, possibly.

Once more, I'll suggest custom materials as opposed to models.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    To specify, by suit I mean biohazardsuit model (empty/broken/pieces etc)

And I would like make some walls/halls look like this (except way newer and shinier) <a href="http://images.products.qssupplies.co.uk/2011-7-5--6-57-34-276-3.jpg" target="_blank">http://images.products.qssupplies.co.uk/20...57-34-276-3.jpg</a>

Shame that the editor crashes every 30sec or second model you check. Viewer works fine but its such a pain to look through the stuff.
    edited August 2011
    You'll never achieve that look because it requires form of reflective mapping to occur. Unfortunately NS2 doesn't have a material type of "reflective". I did make a suggestion on GetSatisfaction for them to include reflective cube or sphere maps.

<!--quoteo(post=1866016:date=Aug 3 2011, 12:29 PM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Aug 3 2011, 12:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866016"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Shame that the editor crashes every 30sec or second model you check. Viewer works fine but its such a pain to look through the stuff.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't get that. My editor works fine, the model viewer is only meant to be used for specific models, not a library, though that would be a nice feature.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Apparently you did me a favor, ty

<a href="http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/topics/_engine_material_type_reflective_cube_map_sphere_map" target="_blank">http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/t..._map_sphere_map</a>
    Not a problem, it's a feature I would also like to see too, it's not incredibly important, but if used wisely it can be used to produce interesting visual effects.
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    Yeah the maps are really missing those items.