Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 183 released

Comments

• MagnetoMagneto Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75856Members
    The GL shouldn't bounce off other marines, happens too often in combat.
  • fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1864564:date=Jul 29 2011, 08:01 AM:name=Horseless Headman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Horseless Headman @ Jul 29 2011, 08:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864564"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->HBZ has recently upgraded their hardware. It's now hands-down the best EU server out there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've had some great games on that server. With a bit more balance this will be a very, very long and deep FPS game
  • CerebralCerebral Join Date: 2003-06-25 Member: 17689Members
    The game is actually much easier to play and generally much more fun this patch. I'm also excited to see the patches rolling out more quickly ever since that Steam change with the file updates or whatever.

In regards to balance, I do agree that stalemates are pretty bad this build, but I honestly put a portion of this burden on the horrible commanders I've seen. If marines can hold two bases and tech up, they really do have the advantage in my opinion. It just seems as though the commander support is generally lacking and marines fail to move as a group more often than not.
  • MelancorMelancor Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24415Members
    I am sure that you can safely take the "nerds" as a compliment. Particularly by those who take great joy in using your product, no matter how finished or perfect it be.
  • MelancorMelancor Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24415Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1864606:date=Jul 29 2011, 09:16 AM:name=Cerebral)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cerebral @ Jul 29 2011, 09:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864606"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->commander support is generally lacking and marines fail to move as a group more often than not.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Aliens too. Thats ok. The greater the reward when they actually do.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    This is the best build ever! :D
  • FrysFrys Join Date: 2005-05-28 Member: 52643Members
    I've had a great time playing this build. Fantastic job, can't wait to see this game in a few months time.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I agree. Great build and I'm enjoying it. Aliens still have no effective way to break through turret farms though.
    I suggest UWE look at the prototyping mod being developed and how sentry reloads work there. I think that's the way to go to limit the number of sentries. Most alien victories take forever right now because they have to get through the turret farm at marine start and that's not easy to do, despite owning 90% of the map.
  • DrDopehatDrDopehat Join Date: 2009-09-04 Member: 68696Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1864637:date=Jul 29 2011, 05:36 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Jul 29 2011, 05:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864637"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree. Great build and I'm enjoying it. Aliens still have no effective way to break through turret farms though.
    I suggest UWE look at the prototyping mod being developed and how sentry reloads work there. I think that's the way to go to limit the number of sentries. Most alien victories take forever right now because they have to get through the turret farm at marine start and that's not easy to do, despite owning 90% of the map.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I dont know if this is just me, but I dont necessarily agree that "winning easily" with 90% of the map under control is the right answer..Sure they've lost, but a bit of "last stand" should be granted imho.
    Yes indeed for those who are thinking it, I do think aliens should have a boost in this respect that allows them to do the same thing. You know..last stand for the "mother hive". I've played NS1 games where that has lead to a surprise comeback of epic proportions. Ultimately it failed because of a few mistakes...but it was an awesome experience on both sides I remember.

Thats just me though, and I understand the feeling of "wanting it to be over, cause they lost. Lets start over for another game!", I'm just not in that kind of hurry most of the time :)
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2011
    The problem is that massive whip/hydra spam can easily be countered by a few GLs or ARCs without even needing line of sight, so alien last stands are pretty much impossible. However, the aliens currently have nothing to counter a massive sentry farm. Bile bomb is very short range and leaves the gorge vulnerable, thus not a good counter. We need the whip bombard ability (and make it go through walls too). Or, make bile bomb like a GL and be able to bounce it off walls with greater range (maybe alt-fire does this while primary fire acts as it does now).
  • plopingoplopingo Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75662Members
    How can i configure the tickrate of my server for avoid lagg issue ?

How can i determine what is the best tickrate for my server ?

My Dedicated server : Core 2 Duo E8400, 4Go DDR2, 100 mbits bandwitch in/out

Thanks in advance ;)
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I agree with Quovatis, aliens arent as lucky to have room clearing ability. Bile bomb helps a lot to take down sentries but still GL's, FLAME, ARCS marines have an advantage there although I do find that aliens do hold a little bit more power still. This patch has been fun
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited July 2011
    I am the only one who get very low fps now on ns_summit?
    Specialy at marine start, crossroads and vent(and other rooms).
  • plopingoplopingo Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75662Members
    Try this

r_shadows false
    r_bloom false
    r_flash false

Very helpful for me ;)
  • SintSint Join Date: 2007-01-09 Member: 59540Members, Squad Five Blue
    Best build so far if not taking balance into account.

About balance:

Skulks are pretty much dominating marines usually. I believe that 1 marine should be able to kill 2 skulks head on, if skulks aren't hiding. Atm its kinda opposite. 1 skulk is able to kill 2 marines pretty often by just jumping around and strafing. Maybe this also has something to do with the collisions, since its really hard to aim skulks when they are on your feet for some reason.

Aliens also need even more expensive upgrades and hives should also cost more or require something extra like more expensive hive only drifter. Since its not really balanced that aliens can just drop hive at beginning of the game and that pretty much quarantines a win if aliens manage to protect the new hive. On mid game aliens about never have any resource problems and end game they have 500+ res so resource model for aliens is not good atm. Personal res for lifeforms is quite fine thou. Maybe aliens should get more champers for upgrades. Like champer which allows level 2/3 armor/wep upgrades. And also extra one for swarm/bilebomb/frenzy. If some of these champers would require 2 hives or 3 then that would add extra need for hives as well.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1864662:date=Jul 29 2011, 09:42 AM:name=WasabiOne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WasabiOne @ Jul 29 2011, 09:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864662"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree with Quovatis, aliens arent as lucky to have room clearing ability. Bile bomb helps a lot to take down sentries but still GL's, FLAME, ARCS marines have an advantage there although I do find that aliens do hold a little bit more power still. This patch has been fun<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i agree as well. you could balance it out by making the bile bomb super strong? i.e. one good placed splash takes out a perimeter half the size of a cyst area, for approx 15 seconds?
    something like that would provide a window for alien attacks to get in and get out before the turrets came back online (cant spam them, turrets invulnerable for 15 seconds after coming back on or something like that)
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1864698:date=Jul 29 2011, 01:41 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Jul 29 2011, 01:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864698"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i agree as well. you could balance it out by making the bile bomb super strong? i.e. one good placed splash takes out a perimeter half the size of a cyst area, for approx 15 seconds?
    something like that would provide a window for alien attacks to get in and get out before the turrets came back online (cant spam them, turrets invulnerable for 15 seconds after coming back on or something like that)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Bile bomb should work similar to Spores. Spores takes away the HP of Marines correct? Bile bomb should explode on contact and continue to eat away at Marine structures for a short period of time (similar to Spores). Marines can then manually Weld Turrets if needed or the COMM can send MACs to weld them. This will create a feel similar to Starcraft 2's Baelings, however it will do damage over time and not immediate. What do you guys think of that idea?
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    Bile bomb worked in NS1. Why does it not work here?
  • CerebralCerebral Join Date: 2003-06-25 Member: 17689Members
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1864686:date=Jul 29 2011, 01:51 PM:name=Sint)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sint @ Jul 29 2011, 01:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864686"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Skulks are pretty much dominating marines usually. I believe that 1 marine should be able to kill 2 skulks head on, if skulks aren't hiding. Atm its kinda opposite. 1 skulk is able to kill 2 marines pretty often by just jumping around and strafing. Maybe this also has something to do with the collisions, since its really hard to aim skulks when they are on your feet for some reason.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed on this point. I think this is due to the old conversation about limited marine movement. I don't mind that we can't hop around as much, but it does bother me that the single jump that I get isn't useful. If I had a little more backwards movement speed and acceleration in the air, i could make a single strafe jump to the side and dodge that initial skulk leap to survive a bit longer.
    <!--quoteo(post=1864731:date=Jul 29 2011, 01:05 PM:name=NurEinMensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NurEinMensch @ Jul 29 2011, 01:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864731"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bile bomb worked in NS1. Why does it not work here?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because in NS1, even with 100 turrets, a fade could still go in and get several good swipes at a turret factory before blinking out. In NS2, the sentries do a lot more damage fades so much less damage to structures. Yes bile bomb worked in NS1, but the aliens had many more options to deal with farms.
  • Jason WhoreJason Whore Join Date: 2011-04-11 Member: 92514Members
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1864686:date=Jul 29 2011, 07:51 PM:name=Sint)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sint @ Jul 29 2011, 07:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864686"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I believe that 1 marine should be able to kill 2 skulks head on<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I believe you don't know about UWEs idea of ns balance
    1 skulk vs 1 rine = skulk wins.
    2 skulks vs 2 rines = even.
    3 skulks vs 3 = rines win.
    its planed kinda like that...
  • TrueVeritasTrueVeritas Join Date: 2006-10-20 Member: 58082Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1864731:date=Jul 29 2011, 03:05 PM:name=NurEinMensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NurEinMensch @ Jul 29 2011, 03:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864731"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bile bomb worked in NS1. Why does it not work here?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's simply because there is not enough regen in the game. There's a huge balance problem with alien lifeforms right now. Due to the abundance of alien lifeforms that aren't gorge, it's much harder for marines to win later on in the game.

If innate regen, upgrade regen and metabolize were in the game then sentries wouldn't be a problem. I have a feeling we're going to see a very light form of regen in the game soon (with crag upgrade) that won't nearly be enough. I'm sure it'll be tweaked to be as good as NS1 eventually. I can't think of a solution to the balance problem:

1. Place a limit on the number of fades/lerks in a round. This isn't really fun as it'll end up being either a random roll or a spam-click fest.
    2. Make fades much weaker but also cost much less res. Or just greatly increase the rate at which aliens receive resources.
    3. Somehow make Gorges MUCH more important than they are now, making it so an entire team saving for fade is nearly impossible to win. I have no idea how to make that work, but it could be interesting to try if they REALLY want NS2 to be different for the sake of being different.

A lot of people also assume that regen/metabolize would make fades way too overpowered, when in reality it just takes away a lot of the dullness of running all the way back to the hive to heal each time you get hurt.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    general feedback on 183

the good
    - had some of the best games in terms of balance (perceived balance...i.e. nothing obviously OP and frustrating)
    - performance is getting better, I can kill things now with skill not luck
    - summit is getting better all the time. Enjoying all the new vents and drains and hiding spots in the ceilings.

the bad
    - Grenade launcher is so powerful against structures. I feel like all my precious gorge res is wasted on hydras cos they'll go down in seconds.
    - I'm having problems understanding the role of the lerk...i can't shoot from a far distance.....up close im worse than a skulk or a fade....ok...maybe time to think of new lerk abiltiies????
    - hydras should cost 8 res, cysts should cost 2 res. Commander pustules are now so far apart that there are so many gaps that should be filled but 3 res cysts are too expensive for that job.
    - gorges dont have cute little sucker paws so they can slowly climb walls and put stuff down way up high.
    - the skulks face animations are wacky, the jaw doesnt have any rigidity that makes it look like it could harm something....when you see skuks kill a marine it looks like they just tripped him up.
    - come on...please put some ragdolls in - not the 'spazdols' we got right now

and the bugly
    - hydras dont attack powernodes!!! why man why!!??
    - hydras keep firing at res towers for about 10 seconds after the res tower is blown up...you need to make the res tower totally vanish and stop telling the game it is alive.
    - drifter's still need to be told to place a structure a few times.
    - buttons are sticky
    - the aliens little scent marker, you can see your own one when you look around. I thought it was another alien and ended up like a dog chasing its own tail.
    - the gorges mouth sometimes stays shut and you have to attack to open it again
    - the 3rd vent opening in the room between Reactor and Surface Access is buggy and wont let skulks pass through it. I think its that black cable stuff.
  • SintSint Join Date: 2007-01-09 Member: 59540Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1864741:date=Jul 29 2011, 09:33 PM:name=Jason ######)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jason ###### @ Jul 29 2011, 09:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864741"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I believe you don't know about UWEs idea of ns balance
    1 skulk vs 1 rine = skulk wins.
    2 skulks vs 2 rines = even.
    3 skulks vs 3 = rines win.
    its planed kinda like that...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, never heard. Sound bit too complicated to implement thou. Now its often marines blocking line of sight to skulks when there are multiple marines vs x number of aliens. Which even make aliens life more easier. Also if marines need to start reloading then multiple skulks will have big advantage over marines. Well if that 'idea' would work it could be fine I guess.

Anyway collisions are also problem since as marine even without jumping aliens can get below your feet during combat. So aim is randomly changing a lot.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1864731:date=Jul 29 2011, 01:05 PM:name=NurEinMensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NurEinMensch @ Jul 29 2011, 01:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864731"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bile bomb worked in NS1. Why does it not work here?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not everything works in NS2 yet - it's still an early beta. However, Bile Bomb does work, if your commander has researched it (at the Mature Whip, confusing, I know) and you've evolved it as Gorge.
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    is the grenade launcher fixed yet im tired of killing my self when its not on purpose
  • croncron Join Date: 2010-06-21 Member: 72122Members
    The few things I have to say after playing for a couple of more hours already have been said:

<!--quoteo(post=1864752:date=Jul 29 2011, 10:18 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Jul 29 2011, 10:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864752"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Grenade launcher is so powerful against structures. I feel like all my precious gorge res is wasted on hydras cos they'll go down in seconds.
    - I'm having problems understanding the role of the lerk...i can't shoot from a far distance.....up close im worse than a skulk or a fade<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1864728:date=Jul 29 2011, 09:00 PM:name=vizionz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vizionz @ Jul 29 2011, 09:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864728"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bile bomb should work similar to Spores. Spores takes away the HP of Marines correct? Bile bomb should explode on contact and continue to eat away at Marine structures for a short period of time (similar to Spores). Marines can then manually Weld Turrets if needed or the COMM can send MACs to weld them. This will create a feel similar to Starcraft 2's Baelings, however it will do damage over time and not immediate. What do you guys think of that idea?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Short: Granades too strong, Aliens not (really) able to break through barricades.
    Oh and the Ending of a match often takes very long and gets frustrating for the losing side (especially with marines trapped in their base).
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    atleast games are 50 50 if you have teams of 4v4 or more
  • resresresresresres Join Date: 2007-10-16 Member: 62652Members
    Super smooth compared to my last play (Build 160-165 ish) but<b> Heal Spray </b>is over powered and level 3 machine gun seems to do nothing vs. 1 skulk - had some issues too, medium distance with shotgun vs. skulk (idling) 3-4 shots before it went down.. but then later me and a guy shoot a fade point blank and he goes down.. just feels strange or aliens are currently overpowered?
  • MaGicBushMaGicBush Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10378Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1864563:date=Jul 29 2011, 06:54 AM:name=cron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cron @ Jul 29 2011, 06:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864563"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Lerk feels awfully weak now btw, none of the aliens played it for long, we usually had three Skulks, two Gorges and two to three Fades. I would love to see the range of the gas to be increased a bit, not to infinity but double maybe? The Lerk is just a very easy target at close range at the moment and one has to get pretty close to gas an area. Of course this is not necessarily bad if you want the area denial of the Lerk to be less spam and rather some kind of desperate deed, but as it stands right now it leaves the Lerk the unloved child of the Khaara family.
    I have to admit that I just suck at Lerk flight, I only have the beginners perspective on the Lerk if you will. Might be interesting to have the Lerk the tool of the more skilled players only?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Aye, no one plays lerk now and if they do they switch within a few minutes. The damage is right, but we need to be able to control the range like you could in NS1.