High resolution mini-maps

McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
<div class="IPBDescription">Where can I get them?</div>I'm wondering where I can download or generate high resolution (1280x1024 or higher preferably). I tried using the overview.exe program, but it looks like it locks the generated resolution of the actual map, not the size of the image file. So, are there some tricks that can be done to get high res images, or does anyone have them available?

I also remember seeing some high res map annotation viewer when Sgt. Barlow explained how UWE tracks bug internally. Does anyone know how he did that?

Comments

• MaGicBushMaGicBush Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10378Members
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1863983:date=Jul 27 2011, 04:43 PM:name=McGlaspie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (McGlaspie @ Jul 27 2011, 04:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863983"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm wondering where I can download or generate high resolution (1280x1024 or higher preferably). I tried using the overview.exe program, but it looks like it locks the generated resolution of the actual map, not the size of the image file. So, are there some tricks that can be done to get high res images, or does anyone have them available?

I also remember seeing some high res map annotation viewer when Sgt. Barlow explained how UWE tracks bug internally. Does anyone know how he did that?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wouldn't you just need to make them in photoshop, or someone would have to mod the overview.exe.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited July 2011
    I created a 1024x1024 overview.tga of summit for you.
    The .tga uses an alpha channel, in this case the high-scaled one from the regular 256² overview I painted/created myself, because the overview.exe is currently bugged and doesn't create properly transparent void around the map.

<a href="http://ul.to/bm6bzj5v" target="_blank">http://ul.to/bm6bzj5v</a>

In order to get overview.exe working, I created a link to the overview.exe in the same directory with the following options:
    Target:
    "...\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\Overview.exe" maps/ns2_summit.level ns2 1024 1024
    Execute in:
    "...\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2

EDIT: CHANGE OUTPUT PATH OR BACKUP MINIMAP FILES SO YOU DON'T RUIN YOUR IN-GAME MINIMAP!!

Add your directory for the ... and change the 1024 to something you want.
    Keep in mind that you have to repaint a proper alpha channel or fix the overview a little depending on what you want it to look like.
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    Nice! Tyvm pSyk0mAn! I swear I tried those same commands with overview.exe and it didn't work. Hmm, could have messed something up. Thanks again!
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Talking about messed up.
    I realized that you will overwrite your in-game minimap of a map with my explained method,
    so you might wanna change the output path or backup your minimap files in the /maps/overviews directory.