Ragequit script

KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
edited July 2011 in Modding
I'm thinking about making a script that tracks ragequitters, and allows you to handle their presence on your server(s). (If you choose to, but realistically I doubt anyone other than me would find this data useful purely on face value)

Basically there's a ragecounter for each player, the higher it is, means you've ragequitted a lot, the lower, means you're a good guy.

I'm thinking you only adjust the ragecounter when a player plays at least half the game on the eventual losing team, and if the game last less then an hour or so. We don't care about what a player does when their team won, and/or they didn't play most of the game.
So if they played more then half the game but are not around at the end of it, they get a +1 to the ragecounter (Perhaps a 30 second grace period to team loss to account for ready room forfeits?). Conversely, if they played half the game and stuck it out to the end they get a -1 to the counter. So if a player has a ragecounter value of maybe 5 or higher, they are not allowed to play for some time period, or are given a warning or such.

So what do you guys think, any ideas/suggestions? I had a much more complex version, but I realized this simplistic version should do the trick just fine.

Comments

• Horseless HeadmanHorseless Headman Join Date: 2011-01-07 Member: 76594Members
    Sometimes... it's just bed time.
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    Well I don't really think this kind of system would really be necessary, I know all the script really does is track the circumstances of someone leaving, and its really up to the server owner to determine what happens, but with stalemates pretty much dragging the game for hours, it understandable why someone would get tired a game that been going on for over and hour and a half with no clear winner and both sides not strong enough to make the finishing blow to the other. Plus, stuff happens, need to go outside and do something, need to head to the bathroom, you've got an appointment to make, it seems unfair to punish the people who legitimately need to do something else during the mid game, even if all they get is a warning.

Plus I really hope your script will easily distinguish between clients who disconnect themselves or lose connection or crash, because punishing someone for something that was out of their control is just frustrating. Especially with progressive server deterioration, making the game laggier and less playable for someone, over time when in the first have of the round, it wasn't. It also doesn't help when there are only about 6 or so servers that are always populated at any given moment, not even taking their region into consideration, and getting banned/kicked from one server would put a huge limitation on people just trying to find a game.
  • vlncvlnc Join Date: 2010-09-07 Member: 73921Members, Squad Five Blue
    your idea looks like how heroes of newerth works, am i right ? :D
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1863567:date=Jul 26 2011, 09:59 AM:name=vlnc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vlnc @ Jul 26 2011, 09:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863567"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->your idea looks like how heroes of newerth works, am i right ? :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not sure.
    Was playing yesterday thinking about how to track rage quitters, came up with this simple process.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    Seems unnecessary to me. People should be free to leave when they like without consequences.
    <!--quoteo(post=1863572:date=Jul 26 2011, 10:32 AM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Jul 26 2011, 10:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863572"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seems unnecessary to me. People should be free to leave when they like without consequences.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Disagree, I think if a server owner pays money for a server, they have rights over how their server runs.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited July 2011
    I don't get what the point is.

Someone leaves the server, so what? Games are not something you do all day all night. Poopsocking is not a desirable trait.

Are you seriously suggesting people should be forced to play on the server if they don't want to?
    <!--quoteo(post=1863580:date=Jul 26 2011, 11:41 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jul 26 2011, 11:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863580"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't get what the point is.

Someone leaves the server, so what? Games are not something you do all day all night. Poopsocking is not a desirable trait.

Are you seriously suggesting people should be forced to play on the server if they don't want to?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Nope not at all. Expand your mind.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    The question is would you really want to keep players around who don't want to play anymore, because that's what you'll make people do if they're going to be punished otherwise? It might just be best to let them leave and make room for truly motivated players.
    edited July 2011
    This is not a script with the intention of kicking, banning humiliating, insulting, etc, players. (Those these are the most likely implementations.)

This is purely a conceptual idea outlining a possible method for tracking statistical player traffic and organizing the data in a manner as to pertain to a person's tendency to either to play fair games, or to only play when it suits them.

How this data is used, i.e. if a server admin would like to kick, ban, humiliate, insult, etc, players, is up to the server administer.

This is stats tracking in an area not yet tracked. I like to look at stats, organize them, etc. An example website a friend and I <a href="http://www.fullgamestats.com/" target="_blank">made</a>.
    <!--quoteo(post=1863586:date=Jul 26 2011, 12:30 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Jul 26 2011, 12:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863586"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The question is would you really want to keep players around who don't want to play anymore, because that's what you'll make people do if they're going to be punished otherwise? It might just be best to let them leave and make room for truly motivated players.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't think you understand.
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    What if I crash? What if I only wanted to play for 20 minutes? What if I left because the teams were imbalanced? What if the server just plain sucked?
    edited July 2011
    Guys this is getting silly. I'm not sure if you're trolling me or you are serious in your statements. The possible scope of the script is open ended and has no such hostile implications everyone's imagining. Also, there's infinite room to address any and all issues presented so far. (For example, go ahead and play for 20 minutes, go ahead and leave if teams are unbalanced, go ahead and leave the server if it sucks, if you crash try and rejoin, you'd have to crash under extremely specific circumstances for anything to even be recorded. Nothing will happen. It could though, but that's not likely, I highly doubt server admins would be so cynical as these allusions imply. Also please understand how the base concept works on a balance between staying and leaving under specific conditions. So unless you're never playing full games, and always leaving games when on the losing team, nothing bad will ever happen to you, ever.)

Ok, I think I'll just call it quits, this will never see script form :(. You guys really seem to hate the idea. But realize if at a single point in time during your playtime on NS2, that you ever get even slightly upset that someone jumps ship on your team because you're losing, well, I'll leave it at that.
    I know what you're trying to ask for, but it's not really possible to reliably determine whether or not someone ragequits. You could only make an educated guess by combining factors (team K/D ratio, score, res, tech-tree, map-control) to see if the player was in a really bad spot before he parted, but that would still only make it a guess. Good admins don't penalize players based on a statistical approximation, prejudice admins might however, and that's what I think many people here fear might happen.

Anyway, such a script would certainly be possible and indeed easy to create, noone's really disputing that, it's whether it'll be wise to do so, as it will only have negative implications (unless you intend to keep it private and for educational purposes only, with no bearing on the real-world).
  • MOOtantMOOtant Join Date: 2010-06-25 Member: 72158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1863497:date=Jul 26 2011, 06:18 AM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Jul 26 2011, 06:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863497"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm thinking about making a script that tracks ragequitters, and allows you to handle their presence on your server(s).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sometimes it's useful when stupid people who can't make things themselves aren't helped. Abstracting from you there will be people with really stupid ideas how to use it.
  • MaGicBushMaGicBush Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10378Members
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1863600:date=Jul 26 2011, 12:04 PM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Jul 26 2011, 12:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863600"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is not a script with the intention of kicking, banning humiliating, insulting, etc, players. (Those these are the most likely implementations.)

This is purely a conceptual idea outlining a possible method for tracking statistical player traffic and organizing the data in a manner as to pertain to a person's tendency to either to play fair games, or to only play when it suits them.

How this data is used, i.e. if a server admin would like to kick, ban, humiliate, insult, etc, players, is up to the server administer.

This is stats tracking in an area not yet tracked. I like to look at stats, organize them, etc. An example website a friend and I <a href="http://www.fullgamestats.com/" target="_blank">made</a>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How about instead of this work on a script for keeping track of player stats all together or their k/d ratio? If you really want a rage quit counter, just add it as optional on that. Eventually someone will make it, and I am sure it will be popular just like it was in HL and HL:S games.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    I came to this thread thinking you would have a script which would let me quit the game faster. Sometimes typing quit in the console after a death takes way too long, you just need to GTFO ASAP.

How disappointed I was.
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1863609:date=Jul 26 2011, 06:32 PM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Jul 26 2011, 06:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863609"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ok, I think I'll just call it quits, this will never see script form :(. You guys really seem to hate the idea. But realize if at a single point in time during your playtime on NS2, that you ever get even slightly upset that someone jumps ship on your team because you're losing, well, I'll leave it at that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Never had, never will. Reason: because if someone jumps ship, they're probably a terrible player and I don't want them on my team.
  • slimeslime Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72352Members
    Natural Selection 2 matches can take a long time. How would a script account for when a person has other responsibilities (family, school, work, etc) besides the game, and quits late in the game because they thought it might end sooner? What about real life emergencies? Or internet/power problems?

Natural Selection 2 is <i>not</i> an RTS or a DotA-style game like Heroes of Newerth or League of Legends where you're pretty much guaranteed a loss if someone leaves. Joining a game in the middle of a match is possible you know, although there's less of that because of the closed-beta status.
    edited July 2011
    While I did want responses to the idea, I really just wanted people to offer their own mechanics and suggestions. Yet not a single person did. Is the forum primarily people who are not programmers? Anyways, thanks for the responses regardless guys, despite a lot of silly responses, I get the very real indication that people don't care about rage quitters. I honestly thought more people would.

Also for all the questions pertaining to people leaving a server due to life, family, etc, run the basic ragequit tracking process in your head, and see if it would apply to people who leave for those reason. The math is easy, but only if you actually do it.
    The only feasible answer to ragequitters is capable admins, so yeah people might not care that much for what _you_ are suggesting.

Sides I already mentioned how something like that could work: when a player parts, check if it's in the middle of a round, check how well his team is doing (via K\D ratios, research progress, num of hives\CCs all compared against the other team), check if the teams are particularly lopsided, et cetera. But like I said, it's a statistical approximation.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I care less about ragequitters than I do the players on the same team whining about teams after half their team quits. I usually just end the round if it's particularly bad.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The correct response to ragequits is for the match to end quicker. The problem right now is that matches drag out unnecessarily long even if one side has many ragequits. The lack of T3 weapons/tech is the real problem, with ragequits being the symptom.
    I should probably mention I don't see ragequitting as an inherintly evil act. Many people coming home from work play games to relax, if it isn't enjoyable to someone they're damn well in their right to _NOT_ keep suffering through it. Ragequitting is a symptom, not a disease.
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    Lol I thought this was a script to ragequit even faster.

Damn. :(
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1872926:date=Sep 3 2011, 10:47 AM:name=Jiriki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jiriki @ Sep 3 2011, 10:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1872926"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lol I thought this was a script to ragequit even faster.

Damn. :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You mean something like a message box that says:

Your team has abandoned you! Ragequit? [Press any key to quit]

On a serious note, I think pub games should have extra balancing features (extra health? resource income?), to even the scales for small team imbalances (eg 6v7) that are bound to happen.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1872988:date=Sep 4 2011, 04:16 AM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Sep 4 2011, 04:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1872988"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On a serious note, I think pub games should have extra balancing features (extra health? resource income?), to even the scales for small team imbalances (eg 6v7) that are bound to happen.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's quite the can of worms you got there :P
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1863837:date=Jul 27 2011, 02:12 PM:name=Zuriki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zuriki @ Jul 27 2011, 02:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863837"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Never had, never will. Reason: because if someone jumps ship, they're probably a terrible player and I don't want them on my team.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah! Players who stack right from the beginning are much better. ('ー' )
  • Smug_LobsterSmug_Lobster Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67903Members
    That's not a very good idea. If people are getting annoyed and don't want to play anymore, they should not be penalized. Games are supposed to be enjoyable - no need to make it harsh/elitist like that. Besides, people tend to have to quit for many reasons - phone call, work, school, 30 minute poop, etc.
  • SlithersSlithers Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73368Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1876429:date=Sep 22 2011, 07:25 PM:name=Smug_Lobster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Smug_Lobster @ Sep 22 2011, 07:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1876429"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's not a very good idea. If people are getting annoyed and don't want to play anymore, they should not be penalized. Games are supposed to be enjoyable - no need to make it harsh/elitist like that. Besides, people tend to have to quit for many reasons - phone call, work, school, 30 minute poop, etc.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You take 30 minute poops?

I eat Wheaties to prevent that from happening, I go in and come out and people think I took a piss because I am so fast. Say no to constipation.