Can you convert 2 pieces of geo into 1?

JonacrabJonacrab Join Date: 2003-08-02 Member: 18705Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
<div class="IPBDescription">Is it possible</div>So... Ill start off by asking, "Why are the weld, create face and flip face tools NOT under the edit menu??(I've been figuring out this program for a few weeks and only just found out that these tools exist, which could have saved me alot of trouble...)

Now to the topic question.

If you align 2 pieces of geometry, then weld the connecting vertices, can you make the object into one? Because at this point the vertices are attached, but double clicking the main piece does not select the added piece... so is there any way to force it to do so? I know you "could" create a group, but that seems like an extra step I dont want to waste unless its a really complex piece...

any options?

Comments

• SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    edited July 2011
    They are under the the menu tab but only when you have the select (arrow) tool selected.

To select multiple items into a single group hold ctrl when selecting them, clicking an additional Item without holding ctrl with deselect everything else.

It's pretty straight forward. Try selecting with different tools to get a feel for what each tools menu items are.

Edit: You can also create groups with ctrl+G but you have to us "+" on the groups window with them highlighted to place the selected item in that group.

Hope that helps a bit.
  • JonacrabJonacrab Join Date: 2003-08-02 Member: 18705Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    Thats really anti-intuitive to make things only appear when a tool is selected(greying out unusable tools would be the ideal solution, so at least you know they are there)... Poor decision IMO... you learn things by searching through menus... and if you cant find things simply because you arent on the tool... thats just.... stupid.... tbh...

But on another note... I was not asking how to select things, I know quite well about that. What I was asking was can you add faces to a set of faces that are already a group(not a group as part of the group menu, however). The way when you double click and it selects all the faces that were created within the group(by either using the line tool, rectangle, or extrude to add to it). So, what Im trying to find out is, if I can, for instance, draw a rectangle, and a second rectangle, which was not created next to the first(so when I double click the first rectangle, it will only select the first one) then move the second one lined up with the first one, and weld 2 connecting vertices. When done in this manner, the 2 polygons will be joined at one edge, and act as one piece, however, if you double click on either piece, it will not select both faces, only the 2 polys that were created individually... I am aware that I "could" make them a group, and they would be thus selectable via the group UI, but it would be much easier if there were a way to group them so I can just double click the face.

If there is a way to do that, is what I was asking. However, knowing of these other tools will probably prevent me from having to build things seperately in the future, so its probably a non-issue, but if there is a way, I would like to know.
  • fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1863501:date=Jul 26 2011, 12:41 AM:name=Jonacrab)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jonacrab @ Jul 26 2011, 12:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863501"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thats really anti-intuitive to make things only appear when a tool is selected(greying out unusable tools would be the ideal solution, so at least you know they are there)... Poor decision IMO... you learn things by searching through menus... and if you cant find things simply because you arent on the tool... thats just.... stupid.... tbh...

But on another note... I was not asking how to select things, I know quite well about that. What I was asking was can you add faces to a set of faces that are already a group(not a group as part of the group menu, however). The way when you double click and it selects all the faces that were created within the group(by either using the line tool, rectangle, or extrude to add to it). So, what Im trying to find out is, if I can, for instance, draw a rectangle, and a second rectangle, which was not created next to the first(so when I double click the first rectangle, it will only select the first one) then move the second one lined up with the first one, and weld 2 connecting vertices. When done in this manner, the 2 polygons will be joined at one edge, and act as one piece, however, if you double click on either piece, it will not select both faces, only the 2 polys that were created individually... I am aware that I "could" make them a group, and they would be thus selectable via the group UI, but it would be much easier if there were a way to group them so I can just double click the face.

If there is a way to do that, is what I was asking. However, knowing of these other tools will probably prevent me from having to build things seperately in the future, so its probably a non-issue, but if there is a way, I would like to know.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There is no such thing where you can just double click the face and then you get a group, however the group UI works just fine, and thus there should be no reason to do what you appear very much to want to do. Simply make your two rectangles, join them however. Group one in a different group than the other, then go to the group UI and click the name. This will select every piece of geometry in your group.

That should cover every use you would ever have for the selection feature regarding groups, unless you're totally unlike me.

Frankly, I never group geometry and don't plan to until the very final stages of my map, simply because to do so can lead to a VERY BAD problem where you forget you have a layered group on hidden, and then you get all confused why you can't build on the hidden edges, and muck up your nice geometry. But... then again, I'm the kind of moron that would do that repeatedly before I learn my lesson ;D
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1863501:date=Jul 26 2011, 06:41 AM:name=Jonacrab)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jonacrab @ Jul 26 2011, 06:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863501"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thats really anti-intuitive to make things only appear when a tool is selected(greying out unusable tools would be the ideal solution, so at least you know they are there)... Poor decision IMO... you learn things by searching through menus... and if you cant find things simply because you arent on the tool... thats just.... stupid.... tbh...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The editor is still WIP and you are not the only one that gets frustrated occasionally.
    But believe someone working with it for 18 months, it already has improved a lot and you can achieve some great results with it.
    Obviously bugs will be fixed and features added eventually.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So, what Im trying to find out is, if I can, for instance, draw a rectangle, and a second rectangle, which was not created next to the first(so when I double click the first rectangle, it will only select the first one) then move the second one lined up with the first one, and weld 2 connecting vertices. When done in this manner, the 2 polygons will be joined at one edge, and act as one piece, however, if you double click on either piece, it will not select both faces, only the 2 polys that were created individually...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The problem is that the two retangles don't share that one edge despite sharing vertices, because edges don't get welded or can be welded yet.
    So you can delete one of the two edges/lines which deletes the one face belonging to it, then you recreate that face with the remaining edge used by the other face.
    If you have easy geometry or some luck, you can just dbl-click one of the lines to select all lines that are only part of the deleted face and re-create it, instead of having to manually select all the lines part of the missing face. With some more luck it doesn't face in the wrong direction :p