Is NS2 really being geared for 16v16

JonacrabJonacrab Join Date: 2003-08-02 Member: 18705Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
<div class="IPBDescription">or is it a pipe dream...</div>Is NS2 really planning on being 16v16? I just wonder if that is even plausible. I remember playing on large servers in ns1 and marines were just ridiculously OP even when aliens had good players. It seems to me that balance is only met at something around a 6v6. I would hope more than that can be expected for NS2 because in 6v6 just 1 or 2 bad/new players can ruin a game. I suppose its a little early to speculate whether it will work, but since the game seems to be basically ns1+extras I think its reasonable to be skeptical about the future...

Any thoughts?

Comments

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Should be near that in late stage of development. Once server optimizations and overall performance boosts have been added.

Played on some smooth 16 or 20 player servers so 32 players shouldn't be an impossibility.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1863057:date=Jul 24 2011, 10:15 AM:name=Jonacrab)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jonacrab @ Jul 24 2011, 10:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863057"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><u><b> I suppose its a little early to speculate whether it will work</b></u><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2011
    The builder gorge and thus the alien team in NS1 was only balanced with the marine team on a 6v6 game. If there were less players alienteam had the advantage and if there were more players the marines had.
    But now we have the alien commander the game will be balanced from 2vs2 up to 16vs16

At least.. this is the plan.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited July 2011
    It was because of the resource system, with more aliens everyone had less resources to use individually so there was no hope of keeping up with the marines tech-wise on the big servers.
    NS2 has fixed this with its unified/symmetrical resource system, which was one of the main goals.
  • TheLordTheLord Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16258Members
    Marines will still be much better in big games because of the melee vs ranged weapons paradigm and because of teamplay.

1 skulk vs 1 rine -> skulk wins
    2 skulks vs 2 rines -> even
    3+ skulks vs 3+ rines -> rines win

Huge games -> rines win
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Game being balanced for 4v4-16v16 is a pipedream, it being playable not so much.
  • MaGicBushMaGicBush Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10378Members
    Having enough lag issues with 6v6 at the moment, I honestly don't see how a game like this would support up to 32 very well because of the server resources that would be required for that many people and having all the buildings in place. UWE will have to really crack down on optimizations before that's even a thought.
  • wulf 21wulf 21 Join Date: 2011-05-03 Member: 96875Members
    maybe a 16 vs 16 would be balanced on really huge maps, so marines will have to split up in small groups if they don't want to give the map control to aliens?