I will never claim to be a gamer again

lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
So I stumbled across this site today: <a href="http://fatuglyorslutty.com/" target="_blank">http://fatuglyorslutty.com/</a>

... yes, I know what you're thinking. No, you're wrong. It's a site that collects examples of misogynist gamer behaviour. Xbox live features prominently, but examples come from everywhere.

Why do I have to share MY planet with this waste of protein?

Comments

• Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited July 2011
    I spent four years at university on a course surrounded by nothing but gamers.

It was, unpleasant.

Also the complete absence of girls on the course may or may not have been the primary contributor to me turning ###### half way through. Still a little worried about that.

But yeah, a lot of gamers are kinda unpleasant, the awkward mouthbreather stereotype is not entirely unfounded.

More than a little misogeny too, it's weird, I don't know why considering most of them didn't have much contact with females. You'd think you'd have to spend time around people to grow to dislike them.
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    It's a sad world we live in, lolf.

Also, those guys type that all with their controller? They don't seem quite the type to get a keyboard for that..

NS2OT is one of the last safe havens I care to visit (read: lurk), heck, even NS2 General Discussion makes me want to facepalm to death.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Trolls, hell they exist to make the rest look good I'm guessing...
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    To be fair, the fine folks of xbox live and WoW general chat are equal opportunity hateful bigots. I don't really think women get it any harder than blacks, homosexuals, etc. They don't really need an excuse to harass someone, and if you're not a member of one of the usual target groups, they will just assume you are and harass you anyway. This is why I don't play games on xbox live (and stay away from most random multiplayer in general).
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    To be fair, half of those are my aliases.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    When I occasionally venture on to xbox live with friends we mute everybody, I do not know why anyone wouldn't.
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    these are console gamers LF

just ignore them
  • XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    Misogyny runs rampant in any male-dominated area, like online video games or engineering classes. I'm pretty sure it's just a direct result of sexual frustration.
    I stopped calling myself a gamer as soon as I had more important things in life than video games (read: as soon as I finished high-school). Not that I don't play tons of video games or something.
  • -Drake--Drake- -dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ- Join Date: 2003-04-02 Member: 15125Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1862806:date=Jul 23 2011, 03:06 PM:name=That_Annoying_Kid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (That_Annoying_Kid @ Jul 23 2011, 03:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1862806"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->these are console gamers LF

just ignore them<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thats a bit of a generalization.

Idiots exist everywhere its just easier to express it on XBL since everyone has a mic.

I had to listen to some planks singing the portal song over and over in TF2 the other night and and I don't mean just playing the portal song they was actually singing it themselves and I had no idea how to mute them...
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1862815:date=Jul 23 2011, 03:47 PM:name=Xyth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xyth @ Jul 23 2011, 03:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1862815"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Misogyny runs rampant in any male-dominated area, like online video games or engineering classes. I'm pretty sure it's just a direct result of sexual frustration.
    I stopped calling myself a gamer as soon as I had more important things in life than video games (read: as soon as I finished high-school). Not that I don't play tons of video games or something.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I only really follow two other forums, one is for a video game and the other is for an industry/hobby where men out number women 15 to 1. Both have significant numbers of women on them (the latter is owned by a women) and they are not treated differently.

But the average age on those two forums is probably much higher then xbox live.
  • RichardRahlRichardRahl Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104594Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1862836:date=Jul 23 2011, 06:12 PM:name=Sops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sops @ Jul 23 2011, 06:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1862836"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I only really follow two other forums, one is for a video game and the other is for an industry/hobby where men out number women 15 to 1. Both have significant numbers of women on them (the latter is owned by a women) and they are not treated differently.

But the average age on those two forums is probably much higher then xbox live.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Forums are edited and troublemakers are banned, were talking free speech areas where there are no censors.
  • DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
    Lol, I remember a counter strike community that was literally built around this really hot girl that played on the server. It was pretty comical.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2011
    Isn't "Really hot girl" translated in internetz "smelly old guy"?
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    if (woman)
    then (sandwich joke)
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    <a href="http://mygaming.co.za/news/files.php?file=Yahtzee__s_depiction_of_PC_elitism_849012821.jpg" target="_blank">Pffrt, console gamers.</a>
  • GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    Maybe it's just because I've always had a somewhat twisted sense of humour but I found most of what I read on that site humorous rather than offensive. I've had a few angry/creepy communications from others in games in my time but I usually just laugh them off or take some amusement in teasing them. Then again, my general online experience doesn't match up that well with a lot of the stories you hear. A lot of online folks I've played with suspect I'm female but it's never caused any degradation of their respect for me nor produced any situations where I feel like I'm treated as a second-class citizen. Maybe I'm just too headstrong or something? :3

That said, though, I admittedly avoid using a mic and I'm sure that'd probably make a noticeable difference in the volume and vehemence of the correspondance I get. Also, without a mic I only get voice chat through my speakers as a muffled mess so if they're talking smack to me I won't know about it anyhoo :D

I know not everyone is as thick-skinned as me and I'm not always in the mood for it so it'd be nice if people had a bit more respect for each other on the interwebs, but finding solutions to these kinds of problems is usually more useful than getting wound up by it; otherwise it's not going to change and there's not much else you can do about it except roll with the punches :3

also... <a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/2005-Gamer" target="_blank">http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/vie...dits/2005-Gamer</a> :p
  • DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1862892:date=Jul 23 2011, 09:13 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Jul 23 2011, 09:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1862892"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Isn't "Really hot girl" translated in internetz "smelly old guy"?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Quite possibly
  • QuelTosQuelTos Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16313Members, Constellation
    edited July 2011
    Just came across this link.. kinda fits in this thread..

<a href="http://kotaku.com/5824084/well-thats-one-way-to-combat-misogyny-in-gaming" target="_blank">http://kotaku.com/5824084/well-thats-one-w...ogyny-in-gaming</a>
    <!--quoteo(post=1863103:date=Jul 24 2011, 05:42 PM:name=QuelTos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (QuelTos @ Jul 24 2011, 05:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863103"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just came across this link.. kinda fits in this thread..

<a href="http://kotaku.com/5824084/well-thats-one-way-to-combat-misogyny-in-gaming" target="_blank">http://kotaku.com/5824084/well-thats-one-w...ogyny-in-gaming</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree with this post. also one that someone made in the comment

"I'd like to point out that no one, more than likely, would raise a fuss if it was an all girls/women event. There's a lot of hypocrisy and double standard in the world of sexism."

He's right, whenever something is made male only every female and women's rights activist starts screaming sexism and "holding women back" but if it's a women's only event? does anyone say anything? no.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    I'm hard-pressed to think of any "no boys allowed in the treehouse" events off the top of my head.
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1863120:date=Jul 24 2011, 06:46 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Jul 24 2011, 06:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863120"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm hard-pressed to think of any "no boys allowed in the treehouse" events off the top of my head.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://www.google.ca/#sclient=psy&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=womens+only+events&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=368eb730619ee0e1&biw=1144&bih=653" target="_blank">http://www.google.ca/#sclient=psy&hl=e...144&bih=653</a>

theres tons of them, shall we go and make a ruckus about how unfair and sexist it is that they don't allow men?
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    edited July 2011
    That is an excellent idea.

Hey, ever noticed how WOMEN are allowed to wear bras but as soon as I, a MAN, wear a bra, it's suddenly "weird" and people are all "can you please get away from my children"?

What the hell is with *that* double standard.

(Scythe you're not allowed to reply to this post because it set you up too easy and your insults are getting lazy enough as it is).
    <!--quoteo(post=1863124:date=Jul 24 2011, 11:51 PM:name=RichardRahl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RichardRahl @ Jul 24 2011, 11:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863124"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.google.ca/#sclient=psy&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=womens+only+events&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=368eb730619ee0e1&biw=1144&bih=653" target="_blank">http://www.google.ca/#sclient=psy&hl=e...144&bih=653</a>

theres tons of them, shall we go and make a ruckus about how unfair and sexist it is that they don't allow men?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://www.somethingawful.com/d/weekend-web/spearhead-forum-misandry.php" target="_blank">Depends, are you a member of this forum?</a>

There's idiotic 'everything is sexist' people on both sides.
    <!--quoteo(post=1863137:date=Jul 24 2011, 07:12 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jul 24 2011, 07:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863137"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.somethingawful.com/d/weekend-web/spearhead-forum-misandry.php" target="_blank">Depends, are you a member of this forum?</a>

There's idiotic 'everything is sexist' people on both sides.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that forum looks hilarious.
    It is, somethingawful weekend web articles usually are, in a somewhat depressing sort of way.

I generally chuckle along and then try to find something to stave off the nasty hollow feeling inside later.
    <!--quoteo(post=1863141:date=Jul 24 2011, 07:21 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jul 24 2011, 07:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863141"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is, somethingawful weekend web articles usually are, in a somewhat depressing sort of way.

I generally chuckle along and then try to find something to stave off the nasty hollow feeling inside later.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I hear vodka helps with that empty feeling, or you could always fill the void with mindless videogames.
    Booze makes me more depressed, I usually just set my mind to figuring out new and more efficient ways to kill entire goblin sieges at once in dwarf fortress. I'm up to about thirty goblins killed in a few frames, reusable every thirty seconds or so.
  • kyliegirlkyliegirl Gorge Master Australia Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10586Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It is sad that alot of this comes from the XBOX, I am surprised though that the author also received flak in wow, something I never encountered even when I was main tanking for other well known guilds on my server and pulling out twice as much dps as most people. Maybe I was on a much more mature server, but then again general chat was always immature, but I never seen any harassment to women in it.

I do agree with one screenshot on spearhead, I also have to agree I hate it when the movie goes from action shooting to being all about the woman.. Something that pisses me off in movies like Transformers and other action films is how they always have something to do with love or sex in them.. I hate going to movies for these movies because I can't skip these scenes and I can't help but roll my eyes and grumble when an action film suddenly pops up with a girly moment or a sudden sex scene.. More killing please and less lovey dovey.

I will admit, I avoid using my mic because I would rather just play the game without someone asking "omg are you a girl' or "go back to the kitchen ######".. Its really uncalled for, I just want to go around killing people without having to listen to blokes ranting about a girl playing etc. Unfortunately sometimes you really do need to use the mic and I may accidentally speak to communicate it across only to be responded with the generic sentences "are you really a girl" "OMG only fat chicks play games" "I bet its just a kid whose balls haven't dropped" the list goes on.

I did cop this in NS too, but during NS2 I have spoken now and then and I guess since it has been over 8 years the population of NS has matured so I have not yet received any flak, though I expect that to change when NS2 goes live.

I rarely use my username in newer games now, though through habit I still use it, thankfully I do not receive much attention on pc servers.. No doubt if I used it on XBOX I would be getting alot of crap for a name..

I dislike the stereotype of all gamer girls are fat. I am baffled at how this came about or why it is assumed.. I went to some Australian Gamer meetups and I can confirm that all the girls I met were very thin and actually quite beautiful and full of character, they definitely were not obese or ######. Even myself I sit at under 55kg at 163cm, I would definitely not say I am fat, but in addition to this, due to the harassment I have heard over the years from male gamers and their typical stereotyping of girl gamers being fat; it has shaken my self esteem and I get upset if I go above 54kg. I would have no doubt other girl gamers feel the same way I do and worry about becoming the very thing they are teased at being by male gamers.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1864789:date=Jul 30 2011, 02:45 AM:name=kyliegirl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kyliegirl @ Jul 30 2011, 02:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864789"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I dislike the stereotype of all gamer girls are fat. I am baffled at how this came about or why it is assumed..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That one's simple enough. ALL gamers are fat, socially awkward dorknerds, regardless of gender. At least that's how the stereotype goes. That it isn't true is completely irrelevant.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    I dislike the stereotype where all girl gamers make their gender blatantly obvious, like putting it in their alias for example, then complain when they receive the attention the clearly wanted.

It's like these stereotypes are completely false.