Bug? When I die I can see the entire map

GeneralBowserGeneralBowser Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71801Members
Why do you need an observatory if you have spies that can fly all over the map and check out anything :-)

I also tend to lag more after I die, or when I use a phase gate, perhaps those things are connected?

Comments

• UzrbitalUzrbital Join Date: 2011-07-04 Member: 107858Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1861211:date=Jul 17 2011, 09:44 AM:name=GeneralBowser)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GeneralBowser @ Jul 17 2011, 09:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1861211"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why do you need an observatory if you have spies that can fly all over the map and check out anything :-)

I also tend to lag more after I die, or when I use a phase gate, perhaps those things are connected?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The lag by phasegates could be because of the particles or the fact that you have to instantly render the room you go to. Dunno about the dying tho.

When you die, you enter some sort of spectator mode, while waiting to get spawned.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2011
    This could be fixed with disabling free look in non spectator mode, and have it so you're forced into a first person view or chase view of your team.
    And the performance problems could be mended with having the camera collide with map geometry. It would help against the performance nightmare of accidentally looking outside the map and it would give the game a nicer presentation.

My performance always takes a hit when I go to evolve because I often start off looking under the map when I hit the evolve button.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    I hate the death cam, it shows where the aliens hide. I wish server either could disable it, and when enabled (or if there is no option) that it get replaced with some sort of spectator mode that only can see enemy structures visible by teammates.
    Or possibly just make the dead ppl spectate their commanders view.
  • UzrbitalUzrbital Join Date: 2011-07-04 Member: 107858Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1861225:date=Jul 17 2011, 11:24 AM:name=Feha)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Feha @ Jul 17 2011, 11:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1861225"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hate the death cam, it shows where the aliens hide. I wish server either could disable it, and when enabled (or if there is no option) that it get replaced with some sort of spectator mode that only can see enemy structures visible by teammates.
    Or possibly just make the dead ppl spectate their commanders view.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1
  • wulf 21wulf 21 Join Date: 2011-05-03 Member: 96875Members
    I don't understand why you see everything as dead spectator, too. I mean, technically, the commander is nothing else then a spectator that additionally can send actions like "research this" or "drop this at position xy" to the server. If the commander can only see friendly stuff and enemy stuff your units have line-of-sight to, I don't see what the problem would be implementing the same for dead spectators.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, it's easy to spot hiding skulks before you respawn and then just pick them off. Or fly through the whole map and see everything the enemy team has.

I really want a first person spec mode and then they could disable freelook for non spectators like most other FPS games.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    It's just something that hasn't been addressed yet because it's not a huge priority, but it's surely on the list.
  • LPCLPC Join Date: 2002-04-07 Member: 384Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    +1 for spectators seeing maybe a mirror view of what the commander is viewing.

wouldn't this greatly encourage teamplay?
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    How can people film matches properly if spectator mode is restricted. It should only be marines/aliens who are awaiting respawn who can't see everything.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1861421:date=Jul 18 2011, 05:34 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Jul 18 2011, 05:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1861421"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How can people film matches properly if spectator mode is restricted. It should only be marines/aliens who are awaiting respawn who can't see everything.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes. I think this is what everyone is saying. No one wants to restrict spectator mode.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    This discussion was not about spectators, it was about how the deathcam let you fly around and see everything just like a spectator can.

I like the idea of making deathcam only able to show first person view of teammates.
  • Shrike3OShrike3O Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6678Members, Constellation
    Having it default to the commander view would be interesting as well.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1861422:date=Jul 18 2011, 04:38 PM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Jul 18 2011, 04:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1861422"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes. I think this is what everyone is saying. No one wants to restrict spectator mode.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Requires Spark Demo Smoother :P
  • LPCLPC Join Date: 2002-04-07 Member: 384Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    <!--quoteo(post=1861458:date=Jul 18 2011, 09:44 PM:name=Shrike3O)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shrike3O @ Jul 18 2011, 09:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1861458"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Having it default to the commander view would be interesting as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah indeed, and then just give us the option to go to 3th person view with the next mouseclick.

Now that aliens have a commander too, its not unfair to aliens anymore.

This way, players will get a better understanding of what the commander is doing!