Skulk should not stuck to wall while leap is activated

HakujinHakujin Join Date: 2003-05-09 Member: 16157Members, Constellation
As per the title, when leap is active (+leap or whatever), the wall-walking ability should be disabled. When leap is released, wall walking returns. This would make leaping much much easier and prevent getting flypapered on walls or ceilings you may hit. You could still tap leap and stick to walls easily.

Comments

• FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Can't you just hold crouch while leaping?
  • HakujinHakujin Join Date: 2003-05-09 Member: 16157Members, Constellation
    I was waiting for someone to say this. The goal of interface design should be to simplify, simplify, simplify. The system I propose eliminates a hard to reach button from being needed, at no loss of functionality elsewhere. Can give me an example of where pressing right click + CTRL + movement keys is better than just movement + right click? If you want to stick to a wall after leap, you would just quickly tap the button rather than hold it. Would you really rather press CTRL for the 99% of times where you don't want to to happen, every time?

Polished games have simple, powerful interfaces. Clutter and specialized, unneeded keys are the enemy.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited July 2011
    <strike>If I want to leap to a wall a shorter distance away than a full leap I'm screwed with your system.</strike> whoops didn't see that last part
    It isn't really more intuitive and less clutter-y, as we already teach the player "crouch disables wallwalk!"; teaching them that leap also does so if you hold it down would be less intuitive. And since we're going to want crouch in with or without this change, we'll have the same number of keys.
    From NS1 I'm used to holding ctrl whenever I don't want to wall-walk, leap or no, so I guess I'm biased. Certainly wouldn't be bothered if it went in.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    My pinky looks like this

/
    \
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    the problem is with leap itself.

problems with current leap

1.predictable movement
    2.slow leaps, sometimes even stoles when trying to leap when you still have energy left
    3.leaps are short compared to ns1 leap
    4.energy cost for leap is way to much, enough for 3 leaps and usually energy refills very slow

if leap worked as ns1 leap, being stuck to walls while leaping wouldn't be an issue. I actually like to leap and get stuck to walls but with current gimped leap I can see why it might have problems.
  • ryknow69ryknow69 Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63952Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can give me an example of where pressing right click + CTRL + movement keys is better than just movement + right click? If you want to stick to a wall after leap, you would just quickly tap the button rather than hold it. Would you really rather press CTRL for the 99% of times where you don't want to to happen, every time?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Rebind to shift? I use shift as crouch in all my games that have a crouch in them, and other people can rebind the key to their liking to negate said quoted argument.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    I don't really think holding control down is a big deal. You use it the rest of the time to prevent wall walking so it's consistent throughout the game. I guess they could make it so that holding RMB after leaping does the same thing.
  • ryknow69ryknow69 Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63952Members
    Lets say your hugging the wall when you leap, you tap the RMB, the few microseconds of it still being pressed will make you stick to the wall still.

There needs to be an external key, like crouch
  • UzrbitalUzrbital Join Date: 2011-07-04 Member: 107858Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like it how it is now. It's so funny to confuse marines by leaping at the walls and ceiling.
    I have never understood why people are so resistant to change, even when an obvious improvement presents itself. It's just incredible that everyone is saying "No, I'd rather hold the extra button for no justified reason."

Urzbital - you didn't get it. If you let go, you stick to the wall. Please read and understand the idea before commenting.
    ryknow69 - your use case is incorrect, as wall-walk would be disabled simultaneously with leap. Please don't invent implementation issues if you are not a game programmer.

No one has presented a legitimate reason to not implement the hold-leap-disable-wall-walk idea. The only rebuttals have been, "I don't mind holding a third button." Yet if 2 buttons can do what three buttons can do, it is inherently a superior control scheme. I'm not expecting your average game player to be an interaction designer, but it still amazes me that this is even disputed.

Beta testers should be looking for ways to improve the control scheme.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2011
    It will still be three buttons though. I mean while leaping and holding the movement key to disable sticking to walls is a good idea. The crouch button will always keep the detach from wall function, I mean you don't always want to leap from walls making a bunch of noise :)

However, here's the thing... While in the air and leaping some people might want to use the parasite or bite even, pressing two buttons on a mouse while maneuvering at high speeds will probably be quite annoying... I'd rather see the crouch button have two modes, which can be setup in the options/controls menu using checkboxes:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Skulk wall walking setting:
    [ ] Always on, disabled by crouch (default)
    [ ] Toggle (on/off), using crouch

[ ] Optional, disable while holding the movement key<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Also less keys isn't always a good thing Hakujin as it decreases the amount of options as well in some cases.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2011
    Well it seems like they're still working on the stickyness of the walls. A lot of the time when I go to evolve it says I have to be on the ground to evolve. When I'm actually on the ground, but I'm being attached to the wall. Making it impossible for a skulk to stick to one surface in a vent or evolve in small areas.

So when you go to leap you're automatically getting sucked back into the wall behind you. Which also makes combat pretty irritating as well sometimes.

I agree with losing the stickyness when you hit the leap button.
  • UzrbitalUzrbital Join Date: 2011-07-04 Member: 107858Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1861201:date=Jul 17 2011, 08:15 AM:name=Hakujin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hakujin @ Jul 17 2011, 08:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1861201"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Urzbital - you didn't get it. If you let go, you stick to the wall. Please read and understand the idea before commenting.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I get it, I just said I liked it how it was now :) I don't mind, the idea isn't really gonna change the way I play, so I think it's a good idea.

1+

<!--quoteo(post=1861205:date=Jul 17 2011, 08:52 AM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Jul 17 2011, 08:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1861205"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well it seems like they're still working on the stickyness of the walls. A lot of the time when I go to evolve it says I have to be on the ground to evolve. When I'm actually on the ground, but I'm being attached to the wall. Making it impossible for a skulk to stick to one surface in a vent or evolve in small areas.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Easy fix, hold your crouch button and open evolve menu, and tada, you're not on the wall anymore.
    <!--quoteo(post=1861201:date=Jul 17 2011, 03:15 PM:name=Hakujin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hakujin @ Jul 17 2011, 03:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1861201"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have never understood why people are so resistant to change, even when an obvious improvement presents itself.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You seem to be under the impression that everything you believe must be correct, and that there's no way other people actually might be right.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No one has presented a legitimate reason to not implement the hold-leap-disable-wall-walk idea. The only rebuttals have been, "I don't mind holding a third button." Yet if 2 buttons can do what three buttons can do, it is inherently a superior control scheme. I'm not expecting your average game player to be an interaction designer, but it still amazes me that this is even disputed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Imagine if troops would always attack-move in Starcraft or other RTSes, and the "move" and "patrol" functions weren't present...

By keeping the keys separate you guarantee maximum control. Combining functions may make it more immediately easy for beginners as they have less buttons to think about, but it might also mean you're removing valid parts of the game for something that solves itself after not even days of playing for the newbie.

It's not like holding crouch is in any way difficult.
    <!--quoteo(post=1861243:date=Jul 17 2011, 03:11 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Jul 17 2011, 03:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1861243"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You seem to be under the impression that everything you believe must be correct, and that there's no way other people actually might be right.

Imagine if troops would always attack-move in Starcraft or other RTSes, and the "move" and "patrol" functions weren't present...

By keeping the keys separate you guarantee maximum control. Combining functions may make it more immediately easy for beginners as they have less buttons to think about, but it might also mean you're removing valid parts of the game for something that solves itself after not even days of playing for the newbie.

It's not like holding crouch is in any way difficult.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is just wrong. <u>Wrong.</u> You are not losing any functionality with the non-sticky leap. If you want to stick, tap the button quickly. If you don't want to stick, hold the button longer. If you want to drop, press crouch. I never advocated removing the crouch button. You are arguing against your own mistaken assumption.
  • Taxen0Taxen0 Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73357Members
    I can see myself using this new feature, it would be an improvement.
    I would still use ctrl to drop down on the marines heads though =)
    After some thinking, I think the CTRL+leap works just fine. Think 3D while navigating as skulk, and don't focus on being on the ground all the time. I can picture my self all the frustration when you forget to release MOUSE2...
    <!--quoteo(post=1861287:date=Jul 18 2011, 02:09 AM:name=Hakujin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hakujin @ Jul 18 2011, 02:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1861287"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is just wrong. <u>Wrong.</u> You are not losing any functionality with the non-sticky leap. If you want to stick, tap the button quickly. If you don't want to stick, hold the button longer. If you want to drop, press crouch. I never advocated removing the crouch button.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Which is why I said in my first post that I wouldn't be bothered if it went in. The response was to the general mentality of "lets combine functions so people dont have to know so many buttons".
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'd support this.

I use the crouch+leap to prevent sticking while leaping, but it does seem a bit more complicated than necessary. Minimal button pressing is preferable.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1861424:date=Jul 18 2011, 10:05 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Jul 18 2011, 10:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1861424"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd support this.

I use the crouch+leap to prevent sticking while leaping, but it does seem a bit more complicated than necessary. Minimal button pressing is preferable.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you can actually bind this yourself already using AutoHotkey.
    download it and write a script where if you longpress the leap key you will automatically longpress the crouch key at the same time, until release. (i believe you can setup timing parameters too if longpressing isnt an option already, i.e. 50 ms etc, i remember writing a script with it to control mouse clicks on a website at certain loading times.)

its magic. :)
  • Taxen0Taxen0 Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73357Members
    sure it's possible to do, but a game should not have to be played with scripts. especially if it's in beta and you can do something about it.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Really that is more complicated than pressing CTRL.
    If you don't want to stich somewhere press CTRL. If it isn't the same button when walking and leaping, many people get confused.
    And with CTRL it is even easyier than with the 2. Att button.

The other problem is leaping from wall to wall would be really hard, because you will often release the Button to early or too late, so that I will do a 2. Leap.

My 2 Rappen.
    Also, by doing this, you'll disable the way to auto leap when holding it. When closing onto marines, I usually hold MOUSE2 in, jumping up to the roof, then down on the marine.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    Have wall-walking off by default, and require players to hold Shift to attach to anything. This puts the control 100% in the player's hands, instead of the current context-sensitive method that can be disabled by holding Ctrl (arguably harder to press). This is how I've got it set in one of my own projects and it works great!

Only problem is you'll want to increase the Skulks Walk speed to something higher than 50% of Run speed (but lower than 100%). I find 60-75% is pretty manageable. Provides more incentive to Leap across walls (which works better anyways since you aren't having to traverse every nook and cranny of whatever surface you're trying to get across).

Also eliminates the need for this whole discussion :)
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    I want to wall walk far more often than I want to not wall walk, I don't have any issue with wallwalking at the moment except for the view jumping between walls in confined spaces.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1861767:date=Jul 19 2011, 08:16 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jul 19 2011, 08:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1861767"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I want to wall walk far more often than I want to not wall walk, I don't have any issue with wallwalking at the moment except for the view jumping between walls in confined spaces.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Whether you notice it or not, you attach to walls more often than you think with the code in it's current state. The Skulk accelerates at an obscene amount right now, so you can't tell, but if you slow down the acceleration, you'll notice the Skulk latches on to just about anything, making it very difficult to maintain top speed.

I suppose it doesn't matter if they keep the the acceleration the way it is, but personally I don't think they should if they aim to make movement more skill-based. It sounds counter-intuitive, but a lower acceleration (IMHO) allows for more skill-based/tactical movement. Since it's more of a challenge to keep your top speed, you can't just strafe to and fro like a moron, you've got to use Leap much more intelligently.
  • hatehate Join Date: 2011-07-19 Member: 111206Members
    edited July 2011
    What happens when you're at low energy and you need to run (or quickly accelerate) away from a marine? You can't leap, but you can't get up to speed before you die. Seems frustrating, and I don't see how what you described would enhance gameplay enough to counteract that. Just because something is harder, doesn't mean it's more "tactical."
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2011
    Try increasing Skulk.kLeapPreventStickTime in Skulk.lua to a longer time (eg 0.5 for 0.5 seconds). Test it on local server to how it performs). Unfortunately, it is a server set variable. Changing it on client side alone will cause "stuttering" due to inconsistency in Skulk movement and location.
  • Rico5559Rico5559 Join Date: 2011-07-10 Member: 109548Members
    I've made this argument before and I'll make it again, taking away automatic skulk wall walk is the most counter-intuitive idea regarding the skulk's movement. This is only outdone by switching how you control wall walk while leaping, by deciding how long to hold down a button? Not sure how large your keyboards are, but anyone whos been playing computer games for over a year or so should automatically have thumb:spacebar pointer finger:d middle finger:w ring finger:a pinky:shift/ctrl syndrome. Now imagine you're holding down shiftbar to sit above a doorway waiting on a marine and you realize its a hive push, typing that to your teammates while holding down shift to make sure you don't fall into the line of fire?