NS2 LUA consistency checks

TrueVeritasTrueVeritas Join Date: 2006-10-20 Member: 58082Members
Is it coming soon?

Comments

• TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    This thread will sink out of the daylight like most of the relevant stuff in UWE forums.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    adding it now would only cripple the modding community. And its actually a easy thing to do, so i would not expect it until close to the release. Or if there is a serious cheating problem suddenly.
  • acid_rainacid_rain NS2 NAPT Mascot Austin, TX Join Date: 2010-02-16 Member: 70588Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    I'm hoping we'll see something like this soon. As I can understand Asraniel's opinion and highly respect it, servers can be run with "developer 1" which will allow full modding capabilities. It was also allows mods to exists in harmony without causing any issues. Of course, modders will need to accept the fact that developer 1 would be less secure, but it wouldn't be any different if these checks weren't implemented anyway.

Counter-Strike works in a very similar way with the server var "pure" (sv_pure). When enabled, the server disallows any modded content (skins, textures, etc.) from the client and forces the defaults. When turned off, it's fully allowed. You can connect to a pure-enabled server, play, disconnect, and then join a server that doesn't use pure and all modifications in your client are accepted without check.

While I don't agree with no need for LUA consistency checks, I do completely agree that this should be put in during a later stage of development. There are many more important things to worry about at the moment such as getting all the assets in-game, or squashing game-breaking bugs and server performance issues. These things, above all, should come first.
  • wulf 21wulf 21 Join Date: 2011-05-03 Member: 96875Members
    Well, I've seen that some checks are implemented. The client must have the same entities and network messages registered or there will be an "invalid data" disconnect. But anything else can be easily modified like holding shift instead of space for lerk glide, menus, keybinds.... In fact I can't think of an easier cheating method right now than writing an aimbot in lua.